My ICT Lesson
The Main Types of Operation System & Examples
- GUI (Graphical User Interface) - Operation System that contains graphics and icons. It is usually navigated by computer mouse.
- Multi-user - Operation System that allows multiple user to use same computer at same time and different time.
- Multiprocessing - Operation System that allows computer to use more than 2 processing devices at the same time.
- Multitasking - Operation System that allows computer to use more than 2 software programs at the same time.
- Multithreading - Operation System that allows computer to use different parts of software programs at the same time.
Examples: Linux, Unix, Windows 2000
The Main Types Of Application Systems & Examples
・Word Processing Software - This software enables users to create and edit document.
Examples: MS-Word, WordPad and Notepad ect.
・ Spreedsheet Software - This software allows user to perform caluculations using spreedsheet.
Examples: Excel, Lotus 1-2-3 and Apple Numbers ect.
・Presentation Software - This software that is used to display information in the form of a slide show. This type of software includes functions like, editing that allows insertion and formatting of text, methods to include graphics in the text and a functionality of executing slide shows.
Examples: Power point ect.
・Database Software - This software allows user to store and search data from databases.
Examples: Oracle and MSAccess etc.
・Multimedia Software - This software allows user to create and play audio and videos.
Examples: Real Player and Media Player ect.
A Utility Software is design to do one or two tasks very well and nothing else.
For example, you may want to compress a file to let you save it on to a flash drive. For this task, you will choose to use a file compression utility software.
The Main Types of Utility Software & Examples
- File Sorting - This sort files by date, type, size ect.
- File Renaming - This rename existing file.
- File Conversion - Example like this convert a sound file to MP3.
- File Transfer - This move, copy and delete files.
- Diagnostic Tools - This test the system to see if any problems there.
- Defragmentation - This records the files on the hard disk to make them contiguous.
- Disk Formatting - This prepares the disk to store files.
- System Information - This is a record of all the hardware and details of operating systems.
- Anti-Virus - This check files before opening for viruses.
- Backup - This perfoms data backups at regural times.
- System Cleanup Tools - This removes old installation details, temporary files and dead shortcuts.