Prep 1 Newsletter
SJI International Elementary, Singapore, 14th November 2014
Mathematics in Prep 1
The Earlybird Mathematics text supports and provides opportunities for consolidation and enrichment of the 'hands-on' learning experiences. The activities in each unit are carefully sequenced for progression in level of difficulty.
Classroom routines such as keeping track of the days of school, helping with attendance, and observing and graphing weather and temperature give children real-life opportunities to use and refine mathematics skills.
Over the next few weeks the children will continue to enjoying learning about capacity, for example through comparing and ordering the sizes of different types of containers using rice. We will learn about the different attributes of two and three dimensional shapes and will start to problem solve using addition.
We hope you enjoy the lovely photos of Prep 1 engaged in a variety of mathematical activities during learning centres this week.
Mathematics at Home
RECOGNISE SHAPES AND SIZE RELATIONSHIPS
- At the grocery store, find items that are triangles, circles, rectangles, and other shapes.
- Recognize or stack the groceries you bought by container shape, or organize by size.
- Organize a scavenger hunt where your child has to find objects of different shapes.
- Make snowflakes using symmetry. Fold a square piece of paper in half diagonally to make a triangle, then fold in half 2 more times. Cut out small diamond or circular shapes from the edges, and then unfold it. Experiment with different numbers of folds and shapes.
FIND WAYS TO COLLECT AND ORGANIZE INFORMATION
- Look around the house to find groups of 2 objects, like pairs of gloves or socks. Look for groups of 3’s, 4’s, and on up to 10’s.
- Take measurements for a project around the house.
- Using paper of different colors, make a paper chain with paper strips and tape. Encourage your child to create patterns by repeating colors and numbers of rings in a regular order. This can be done in connection with reading the calendar and counting down days to a special event.
- Collect objects in nature— leaves, rocks, shells. When you get home, sort them by color, size, or type. How many different categories can you find? How many objects are in more than 1 category?
What's On Next Week
Phonic Focus: /ch//sh/
Tricky Word: /have/
Dates for your Diary
Tuesday, November 11th and 18th - Parenting with the Virtues Workshop
Saturday, November 29th - Christmas Fair
Nativity Play at 1:15pm
Tuesday, 2nd December - Prep 1 LMe
Wednesday, 3rd December - Prep 1 JSl
Thursday, 4th December - Prep 1 SMo
Thursday, December 11th - Crib Service
Friday, December 12th - School year ends! Preps dismissal at 11:20