- Long-term care is a range of services and supports you may need to meet your personal care needs.
- Who needs care? Age, gender, disability, health status, and living arrangements are all factors that contribute to those who may need care.
- Who pays for long-term care? Medicare, medicare, or certain private health insurance.
Medicare, Medicaid & More
- Medicare only covers medically necessary care and focuses on medical acute care, such as doctor visits, drugs, and hospital stays.
- Medicaid covers medical care, like doctor visits and hospital costs, long-term care services in nursing homes, and long-term care services provided at home, such as visiting nurses and assistance with personal care.
- The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) pays for long-term care services for service-related disabilities and for certain other eligible veterans, as well as other health programs such as nursing home care and at-home care for aging veterans with long-term care needs.
Where You Live Matters
- Living in a Facility: Public Housing for low-to-moderate income elderly and persons with disabilities. Assisted Living or “board and care” homes are group living settings that offer housing in addition to assistance with personal care and other services, such as meals. Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs) provide a range of housing options, including independent living units, assisted living and nursing homes, all on the same campus.
- Staying in Your Home: Convenient and affordable public transportation. Help with housing and yard chores. Home delivered meals.
How To Decide
- Organizing your documents
- Financial well-being
- Medical well-being
Cost & How to Pay
The cost of long-term care depends on the type and duration of care you need.
- $3,293 per month for care in an assisted living facility
- $19 per hour for homemaker service
- Health Insurance helps pay.
Cost in Texas
- $40,841 - $43,472 annually
Around the South Plains Area
- Cottage Village Senior Living Community
- Raider Ranch
- Wedgewood South Assisted Living Facility