MERMS Weekly Newsletter: 3.9.15
March 9, 2015
Two New Ways to Stay Connected to MERMS!
- Did you know? MERMS is now on Facebook! In order to get our updates, please go to the MERMS Facebook page and click on the Like button!
- Do you want to receive our newsletter and other important announcements via text message? If so, please sign up for Remind by sending a text message to 81010 with the message @merms01944. See directions below or click here for more details. Please note: your standard text-messaging rates/policies will apply through your carrier.
Call for Presenters: Middle School Career Day 6/3/15
On Wednesday morning, June 3, 2015, MERMS will hold its first Career Day, and we are looking for folks who may be interested in presenting to middle school students. Please consider your networks - neighbors, relatives, family, friends, spouses - who might be interested in presenting.
Please forward this email to anyone you think might be interested and encourage him/her to sign up. Those interested in presenting should sign up at: MERMS Career Day SignUp 6.3.15
Report Cards will be emailed home via Aspen on Wednesday, March 18, 2015.
The cost is $100 for one session per week, and $175 for two sessions per week.
To register please go to: https://apm.activecommunities.com/northshoreymca/Activity_Search/7886. If you have any questions, please contact Teen Director David St. Pierre at email@example.com.
Flower Power Fundraiser Is Now Underway!
- The deadline to order is April 15.
- Plants will be delivered at the end of May, directly to your home. There is a $5 flat shipping fee.
- PMEMS will earn 50% of all that is earned.
- Much of the funds raised will go towards the purchase of technology carts for the middle school. Additional funds will go towards other PMEMS-sponsored events such as enrichment speakers and student social activities.
- If you are interested in donating towards PMEMS' technology goal directly, you may make a check out to PMEMS with 'technology' in the memo, and return it in the envelope provided in the fundraising packet.
Every student who participates will be entered into a drawing for a Chromebook! In order to be entered into the drawing, students must have at least one flower order completed on his/her behalf. Once a flower order has been completed, parents/guardians must fill out the slip provided in the fundraising packet, certifying an order has been made, and return it to the middle school main office. The winner will be announced April 16.
To place an order online, go to: http://lsurl.me/ZYF4. Thank you to PMEMS for their commitment to our middle school!
Winter Sports Awards Night
Wednesday, March 11, 2015 @ 6:30pm
Any middle school student athlete who participated on the Ski Team, Swimming and Diving Team and Indoor Track team this winter is invited to attend the Winter Sports Awards Night with their parents/guardians.
If you have any questions, please contact the Athletics Department.
March MCAS Dates: Updated to April!
The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education has granted an extension to the window of the first round of annual MCAS testing. This extension pushes the start date of our ELA testing into April, during which 7th graders complete the Long Composition, and 6th, 7th and 8th graders all complete two sessions of Reading Comprehension. Math and Science/Technology testing occurs in May.
April, 2015 ELA testing dates for Manchester-Essex Middle School are as follows:
- Thursday, 4/2/15 - 7th Grade Long Composition
- Tuesday, 4/7/15 - 6th, 7th and 8th Grade Reading Comprehension Session #1
- Wednesday, 4/8/15 - 7th Grade Long Composition Makeup
- Thursday, 4/9/15 - 6th, 7th and 8th Grade Reading Comprehension Session #2
- Friday, 4/10/15 and Monday, 4/13/15 - 6th, 7th and 8th Grade Reading Comprehension Makeup - Sessions #1 and #2
You can help your child prepare for MCAS by ensuring he/she gets a good night's sleep the night before, eats breakfast in the morning (which is also for sale in the café), stays hydrated, and has two #2 pencils.
School Store Open on Day 5
Food Service News This Week
March Nutrition Month kicked off with a week of celebrating breakfast at school. Every day that a student had breakfast here at school with their peers, they were entered into a raffle. Kara Glynos of the Middle School and Aiesa Richardson of the High School each won a week of free breakfast!
MCAS is fast approaching and students have been receiving the message that they need to eat breakfast every day, not just on test day to prepare their bodies and minds to accomplish that next hurdle. Our fabulous school breakfast program can help students start their day on the right note.
This week is International Week, and the Lunch Divas will be preparing delicacies from 4 countries:
Tuesday is Foods of Cuba:
- Mojo Roast Pork
- Cuban Paninni
- Moros y Cristianos
Wednesday is Foods of Greece:
- Beef Gyro with tzatziki sauce
Thursday is Foods of China: (American style)
- General Goas Chicken
- Chinese Noodles
- Stir Fry Vegetables
- Egg Rolls
- Fortune cookies
Friday is Foods of Jamaica:
- Jerk Chicken
- Jamaican Rice & Bean
- Jamaican Cabbage
Trimester 3 Exploratories Begin Friday, 3/13/15
- Art will rotate to Health
- Health will rotate to Engineering
- Engineering will rotate to Art
Overdue Library Books
Nominate an MERMS Educator to be the AMLE Distinguished Educator
The AMLE (American Middle Level Education) Distinguished Educator Award recognizes outstanding practitioners in middle level education—those who have made a significant impact on the lives of young adolescents through exemplary characteristics, leadership, vision, and advocacy.
We have many outstanding educators throughout our MERMS community. Why not nominate one to be the AMLE Distinguished Educator? To nominate an MERMS educator, go to: http://www.amle.org/AboutAMLE/AMLEAwards/AMLEDistinguishedEducatorAward.aspx.
Spring Sports Information
Spring Sports Registration is now open. You may register and pay online by going to the Athletics website. In the spring, there are currently no middle school-specific interscholastic sports offered. The MIAA has, however, granted our waiver request to allow 7th and 8th graders to participate in the following high school-level athletic teams: boys/girls lacrosse, baseball, softball and sailing. Unfortunately, the waiver for boys and girls tennis was denied by the MIAA, so no middle schooler will be able to participate on the tennis team this spring. If you are interested in the possibility of having your child participate in a tennis club or running club once or twice a week this spring, please contact Middle School Lead Learner Steve Guditus at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important Sports Dates:
- Spring Sports begin: March 16, 2015
- Spring Athletic Parent/Athlete Coaches Meeting: March 18, 2015 at 6:30PM
If you have any questions about these policies, please contact Athletics for more information.
8th Grade Washington Trip: Reminder to Make Payment
The payment deadline for the 8th grade trip in full is March 12, 2015. Please make a payment as soon as possible towards this deadline.
To make a payment, please contact WorldStrides directly at http://www.worldstridesdiscovernow.org (enter trip ID #108984), or call WorldStrides Customer Service at 1-800-468-5899.
For more information about our trip, please visit our Washington Trip page at: http://www.merms.mersd.org/Pages/MERMS_Washington/index.
If you are interested in helping to fundraise for our scholarship fund for this trip, please go to this SignUpGenius Washington Trip Fundraiser Page, or contact Mr. Jim Thomas, Washington Trip Coordinator, at email@example.com.
Manchester-Essex Apparel Sale
We have teamed up with a local company, Living the Team, to put together a MERSD apparel sale. Clothing and accessories are high quality, and the sale of the products benefits our PTO, Parents of Manchester-Essex Middle School (PMEMS). Items ship directly to your home. To order, you can go directly to: http://livingtheteam.com/ME_STORE
MERMS Pictures This Week
6th graders all now have Google Apps for Education (GAFE) accounts. Last week, Mr. Guditus worked with all 6th graders in Social Studies classes to roll out GAFE (aka Google Docs). Please speak with your child about it!
Students engage in stretching and warmups in PE class.
Students love MERMS with Cheez-Its at lunch!
Websites of Interest
- The Beverly Citizen's capture of the MERMS vs. GUS Archery Tournament: http://lsurl.me/11HST
- How to Create a Paperless and Collaborative Classroom via @TeachThought: http://www.teachthought.com/technology/how-to-create-a-paperless-classroom-with-your-ipad/
- Celebrate Pi Day this Saturday with Your Kids via @PBSKids: http://www.pbs.org/parents/adventures-in-learning/2015/03/happy-pi-day/
- Why Digital Natives (your children!) Prefer Reading In Print: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/why-digital-natives-prefer-reading-in-print-yes-you-read-that-right/2015/02/22/8596ca86-b871-11e4-9423-f3d0a1ec335c_story.html
- Google Launches YouTube for Kids: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/23/google-launches-youtube-kids-for-iphone-and-ipad/
- How To Leverage Technology to Motivate Your Children: pic.twitter.com/MQEcJsh7KC
Helping Kids Manage the New Rules of Digital Etiquette: http://raisingdigitalnatives.com/helping-kids-manage-new-rules-digital-etiquette/
6th Grade Fun Event
Wednesday, March 11th, 2:30pm
36 Lincoln Street
What: Bring your friends and join us for dodgeball, tag, scooter races, and other games!
Why? The cost will serve as a fundraiser for The Gardner Project to benefit Malaria No More.
Winter Sports Awards Night
Wednesday, March 11th, 6:30pm
36 Lincoln Street
Spring Sports Begin
Monday, March 16th, 3pm
36 Lincoln Street
How to Stop the Worry Cycle: Strategies to Reduce Family Anxiety - with therapist Lynn Lyons
Monday, March 23rd, 6:30-8:30pm
36 Lincoln Street
How to Stop the Worry Cycle: Strategies to Reduce Family Anxiety
Please join us for an evening presentation to address the worries and anxieties of students in the Manchester-Essex community. Our keynote speaker, Lynn Lyons, will describe how anxiety manifests in the body and brain while detailing common mistakes that can strengthen anxiety in children. Learn how to empower kids to handle or avoid anxiety in the future in order to stop the worry cycle. The presentation will be an incredible opportunity to connect with other parents, caregivers and teachers to enlighten for us challenges that all students face on a daily basis.
Lynn Lyons has been a psychotherapist for over 23 years and specializes in the treatment of anxious children and their parents, with a special interest in interrupting the generational patterns of anxiety in families. She is the Co-authored with Reid Wilson, PhD, of Anxious Kids, Anxious Parents: 7 Ways to Stop the Worry Cycle and Raise Courageous and Independent Children and the companion book, Playing with Anxiety: Casey's Guide for Teens and Kids.
March 23rd - 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Manchester Essex Middle-High School Auditorium
Sponsored by the MERSD Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SEPAC)