Homeroom Buzz Room 220
May 2nd Edition
- No word study this week for Mrs. Morris' word study groups.
- Science SOL review packets (nightly reading homework) are due Tomorrow. Please send in the signed green sheet for your student.
It is hard to believe it is time for our SOL testing to begin. We have been diligently working to prepare for our upcoming tests. I also want to thank you for your support over the last few weeks when the students have been studying Social Studies and Science at home. Please remember that students should get a good night's sleep and eat a healthy breakfast so that they are refreshed and ready to go! Testing will begin around 8:15, please try to ensure your child arrives at school on time.
- Tuesday 5/3: Virginia Studies
- Friday 5/6: Science
- Thursday 5/12: Reading Part 1
- Friday 5/13: Reading Part 2
- Thursday 5/19: Math Part 1
- Friday 5/20: Math Part 2
SOL Retake Information
SOL Retake Information
Albemarle County School will be extending a retest opportunity to elementary students who meet the State's criteria. Eligible students are those who have passed the class, but failed the test with a score of 375 to 399. If your child falls into the retest range we will be calling you to check and see whether or not you would like your child to take an SOL retake in that subject area. If you would further information on the retake process please take a look on at the BES webpage at the link below, or email me:
End of the Year Activities/Needs
- Last Monday, a light orange paper went home in Monday folders about family donations for Lake Monacan and Moving Up Day. Please refer to this paper for more information. If you need a new copy just email me and I will send one home with your child.
- Last Monday, a hot pink paper went home about our end of year T-shirt tie dye project. All students need to send in a white (or light colored) t-shirt to be tie dyed. Please write your child's name in the tag/collar of the shirt with a permanent marker. All T-shirts must be turned in by May 20th. If your child is unable to provide a shirt please let me know and I will reach out for additional donations. Likewise, if you purchase a multi-pack and would like to donate some of the extra shirts that would also be appreciated.
- Today, a white half sheet paper will go home from Mrs. Greenwood that describes an end of year rotation she will be doing with all classes. It will involve food, but she will not be using products that contact nuts (peanuts and/or tree nuts) or gluten. She has requested that if you child has an allergy other that those listed to please let her know.
Beginning the week of May 9th, students will begin working on poetry anthology projects. The students will be asked to research poems on their chosen topic, analyze the poems looking for all types of figurative language, write a response to the poems, and then create a few poems of their own. Next week we will begin brainstorming anthology topic ideas.
Wonderous Word Books
WORDS ARE DUE May 23rd
All year you have been making Word Art cards and in these final weeks of school we will be putting them into a book. The first thing you need to do is fill this baggie with 50 or more words you have cut out of magazines. (please ask your parents before you begin cutting their magazines) Cutting 10 a night for a week is a well-planned way to have enough words for the project. The words you cut out should describe you in some way: what you think you are, what you want to become, or goals, hopes and dreams you have for yourself. When these have been cut out, bring them to me for safekeeping.
Towards the end of the school year we will complete the books. Using special glue we will glue them to your cover then seal them with an acrylic finishing gel. The resulting cover will look quite professional. The assembled book will be a great way to showcase your Word Art. If you have any questions see me.
Don't let these dates buzz by you!
- May 3rd-Virginia Studies SOL test
- May 5th-Science SOL test
- May 12th-Reading Part 1 SOL test
- May 13th-Reading Part 2 SOL test
- May 19th-Math Part 1 SOL test
- May 20th-Math Part 2 SOL test
- May 23rd-May 27th-End of Year Teacher Rotation Fun!
- May 30th-No School (Memorial Day)
- May 31st-Lake Monacan Trip
- June 1st-Lake Monacan Trip (rain date)
- June 3rd-Field Day
- June 6th-Moving Up Ceremony (more information to come soon!)
- June 7th-Last Day of School!