December 18, 2017
Wishing all of our students and staff a great last week of school this year!
Ottawa County Career Showcase 2017
The Ottawa County Career Showcase is collaborative effort between private sector and K-12 education, and is hosted by the Ottawa County Business Advisory Council. This event has set the stage for students to engage with local companies and learn about career opportunities that exist in the same communities where they live, play and learn.
The companies are able to engage students in different hands-on activities that demonstrate skill sets necessary to excel in a broad cross section of careers including CNC, culinary/hospitality, electrical, engineering, emerging healthcare, machine operation, maintenance and welding. Businesses who participate in the event include: Materion Brush, Magruder Hospital, Davis Besse, Graymont Dolime and more.
Tune in every Monday for #MakeADifferenceMonday where we will feature a stakeholder, student, or fellow alumni answering "Five questions for B-C-S"
This week B-C-S is featuring, 7th grade student, Sam Sensmeier!
1. Please tell us who you are, what grade you are in?
- My Name is Sam Sensmeier and I am in 7th grade.
2. What sports or activities have you participated in this year at school?
- I am a part of the Future Rocket Men's Club at OHMS
3. What is your favorite school subject and why?
- I like math the most because I like it and it comes easy to me most of the time. It is challenging but I like that you can take a large problem and solve it into a simple answer. I think Mr. McKitrick is a good math teacher.
4. What's the most creative thing you have ever done?
- I created a water rocket in STEM that went 225. 6 feet high. My cousin and I have also made our very own zip line!
5. What are your hobbies or activities you like to do outside of school?
- I like to help my dad fix things like cars. I also like to take things that are not working anymore and build them into something that is useful. I like chess and I also like to fishing with my friends.
A few fun facts about Sam:
- His favorite color is red
- Sam is thinking about going in to a career in computer technology when he grows up.
What's Going On At RC Waters Elementary?
Mr. Buckman's class received a letter and a package of goodies from the famous author, Jan Brett.
Each year the Oak Harbor Rotary donates a new dictionary to each third grade student in Oak Harbor. The dictionaries also contain other useful information that the students find very interesting- states, countries, presidents and the longest word! Thank you, Rotary!
As part of a 12 days of Christmas classroom incentive, Mrs. Guerin's class enjoyed making (and eating) gingerbread houses this week!
Mrs. Sutter saved an activity for the first snow of the season. The students learned all about snow, then made their own snowflake. What a great way to make learning about science relevant to students!
Mrs. Sutter's class received a donation of chapter books from Mrs. Siefke in memory of her daughter, Tess Siefke. Mrs. Sutter was very appreciative of the donation.
What's Going On At Oak Harbor Middle School?
Congratulations to Nick, our first to earn the blue belt in 6th grade band karate! Keep up the great work!
7th grade student council helping out at the Senior Citizen luncheon last week.
Great job with the canned food drive student council!
Good Luck OHMS girls basketball!
ROCKET POWER CARDS ARE READY FOR PICK UP!
The Power Cards are ready for pick- up! Parents or guardians can come to the school office from 715AM- 345PM to sign for the cards. Cards may also be picked up at the Oak Harbor Public Library on Monday, December 18th from 5PM-8PM. Look for the Rocket Family Group sign.
Prizes will be handed out before Christmas break. (We're just waiting on the t-shirts to arrive.) PIE the PRINCIPAL will be on Friday, December 22nd. The Pool Party and Steak Lunch prizes will be scheduled for next year.
We have a few extra Power Cards available for sale in the school office.
Thanks, again, for all your support.
WHATS GOING ON AT OAK HARBOR HIGH SCHOOL?
Thank you to all that came to the Daddy Daughter Dance the support was incredible! Congrats to project leaders Chloe, Carolyne, and Chloe! The Daddy Daughter Dance was a success
Oak Harbor students don’t forget to turn in your permission slip to leave school during exams next week.
OHHS Girls Varsity basketball players react after a half-court shot made by Abby Dornbusch at the end of the first quarter of Tuesday's game against SMCC!
Time for a slow dance with dad!
ROCKET SPORTS HIGHLIGHTS!
- JH Wrestling wins the Mohawk Invite today. Way to be Rockets!
- V Boys Basketball: Final Lake 47 Oak Harbor 53 Great job Rockets! Jac Alexander leads all scorers with 18 points. The Rockets advance to 4-1 on the season.
- JV Boys Basketball defeats Lake 50-34.
- V Girls Basketball: Final: Oak Harbor 77 Vermilion 26 Logan Harris finishes with a game high 26 points, Ashley Riley adds 18, and Auna Tack scores 10
- 7th grade boys basketball wins at Vermilion....36-28. Good win Rockets.
- Oak Harbor’s Abby Dornbusch hits a buzzer beating half court shot to end the first quarter, Rockets lead SMCC 13-2.
- Rocket basketball players helping out the youth teams. Great job men! Teaching the foundation of defense with a little shell work.
BENTON-CARROLL-SALEM LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICT
WEEKLY SPORTS AND SCHOOL CALENDAR
WEEK OF 12/18/2017
Tuesday, December 19
4:30 PM H MS ~ Boys Basketball - Margaretta
4:30 PM A MS ~ Girls Basketball - Margaretta
5:00 PM H HS ~ Swimming & Diving - St. John/Notre Dame
5:30 PM H HS ~ Girls Basketball - New Riegel
Wednesday, December 20
6:00 PM A HS ~ Varsity Wrestling - Crestview Quad
6:00 PM A MS ~ Wrestling - Crestview Quad
Thursday, December 21
4:30 PM A HS ~ Boys Basketball - Vermilion
4:30 PM H MS ~ Boys Basketball - Genoa
4:3 PM A MS ~ Girls Basketball - Genoa
6:15 PM Board Meeting
Friday, December 22
4:00 PM AHS ~ JV Wrestling - Tiffin Holiday Classic
5:30 PM H HS ~ Girls Basketball - Willard
Saturday, December 23
10:00 AM AHS ~ JV Wrestling - Tiffin Holiday Classic
11:30 AM A HS ~ Boys Basketball - Lakota
The school district was founded on July 1, 1967 due to the consolidation of the Benton Township School District, the Carroll Township School District, and the Salem-Oak Harbor School District.Benton-Carroll-Salem Local School District, home of the Oak Harbor Rockets, serves 1700 students on three campuses: R.C. Waters Elementary School (Grades K--3), Oak Harbor Middle School (Grades 4--7), and Oak Harbor High School (Grades 8--12). The district is committed to serving the needs of all students to prepare them for the challenges of citizenship, the workforce, and life long learning.