Independent Study Updates
End of Year Reminders
This is the final newsletter of the 2018-2019 school year. Please read through the information and save it for your reference. My apologies for the length. There is a lot of information to cover.
It has been an absolute joy to work with all of you. I am so impressed and proud of the supportive and caring community you've created together as Independent Study students. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching you challenge yourselves, step outside of your comfort zone and work hard to succeed academically.
As you know, I am retiring this year. After 34 years as an educator, the time is right for both me and my family. I am blessed and grateful for the time we have had together and I am confident that you will be in good hands next year. The new teacher will be in contact with all Independent Study students assigned to his or her roster as soon as possible.
- All Independent Study, Home School, and Community College grades for the Spring 2019 semester should post to your transcript by June 15th. Community College grades will post beginning June 4th. I will enter them on transcripts when they are available. You can view your grades on Websmart after June 4th as well. After June 15th, login to your Infinite Campus portal to print your transcript if you would like a copy. (Login to your home school and select Reports, then choose transcript.)
- Please return all of your Independent Study textbooks to our classroom as soon as possible. Return all home school textbooks to the library or textbook room before June 8th.
- Don't forget to return any rented college textbooks. This must be done during finals week in order to avoid being charged for the cost of the book. Textbooks purchased through the bookstore and paid for through your ISP account must be returned to our classroom for check off.
- Please note that our ISP classroom will be closing at 3:00PM for the remainder of the year. I have some personal responsibilities that require me to leave on time. Students can work in the lobby, or at the Learning Center after 3:00PM.
- May 14th Community College Fall 2019 Registration is open. Concurrent Enrollment forms must be submitted prior to registering.
- May 18th-24th Finals Week for Cañada College! Return college textbooks purchased by Independent Study: Return Rentals to the bookstore immediately after your final to avoid paying the cost of your rental. Return purchased to the ISP classroom
- Monday, May 27th Memorial Day- Classroom Closed
- Thursday, May 30th Substitute in the classroom. Please come in and work on assignments.
- Friday, May 31st Absolute LAST DAY for graduating seniors to turn in ISP assignments
- Friday, May 31st ISP Graduation (1:00PM) Graduates must arrive by 12:00PM
- Wednesday, June 6th LAST DAY for students in Grades 9-11 to turn in ISP Assignments
- Thursday, June 6th LAST DAY to return all ISP textbooks and novels.
- June 11- June 26th ISP Summer School at Cañada College
- Wednesday, August 14th First Day of Classes for SUHSD and Community College
All Returning ISP Students
Parents, please complete the SUHSD online registration process. This must be done each year. Parents, you should have received an email from the district with further instruction.
If you have any questions please contact your student's home school.
The ISP teacher at Cañada will contact you in August to schedule your initial meeting.
If you are taking a class at your home school in the fall, please make sure you contact your guidance counselor the first week of August to verify that the course is on your schedule.
Returning ISP Students Enrolled in Fall Community College Courses
Students who have submitted a Concurrent Enrollment form have been scheduled in their fall college classes. All registered students have a printed copy of their schedule.
Please turn in your signed CE form ASAP if you have not yet done so. Classes are filling up fast.
Familiarize yourself with your WebSmart account. It is very important that students DO NOTchange their username and password for their WebSmart account; username must remain your G-number, and password must remain your birthday (two digits for month-day-year, e.g. 061600). If you have already changed it, please change it back.
WebSmart is where you can check your schedule, buy a parking pass, or check college grades once they post.
You may change your password for your my.smccd email and link it to another email account, if you like. This is the email address college professors will use to send out class information, so it is important that you actually check it regularly. You can find your my.smccd email information by logging into WebSmart and scrolling down to the bottom of the page – then click on the my.smccd email link.
Most college professors use Canvas to communicate with students and provide important class information. Make sure you know how to login to Canvas. Professors may post their syllabus on this site, as well as upload assignments, hold online discussions, post grades, etc. Please regularly check your Canvas account over summer as some professors post important information prior to the start of the semester.
Students enrolling in online classes should check their my.smccd email account and Canvas for the syllabus, course information and materials. Again, please do not change the login for this, as it is tied to your WebSmart account.
Make sure to purchase or rent needed textbooks for your college classes. You can view the required textbooks by logging in to Webschedule and searching for the CRN or Course Name. Click on View Textbooks. My recommendation is that you go to the bookstore a week before classes begin, get the ISBN for the required books and either rent them from the bookstore or through another online source, such as Amazon Prime. The new ISP teacher will provide you with instruction regarding your Cañada Bookstore account prior to the start of the school year if you prefer to charge your college textbooks to the SUHSD.
Community College Classes for Students with IEP's or 504 Plans
Accommodations work a little differently in college. You need to make an appointment to meet with a campus specialist, who will review your IEP/504 (bring a copy). They will then determine which accommodations are appropriate for college. You will be provided with paperwork, which you must give directly to each of your professors. This ensures your accommodations. Without the college-approved paperwork, no accommodation requests must be honored by your professors.
Students requiring accommodations should set up a meeting with Cañada’s Disability Resource Center before classes begin. The phone number is 650-306-3259. Ask to speak to Krystal Martinez, the office assistant.
All returning community college students with current DRC services must check in with the DRC to update information every semester.
ISP Summer School
Class of 2019 Graduates
If possible, bring a plate of sweets (cookies, etc..) to share with graduates and guests.
All Grads MUST:
- Complete the Senior Survey in Naviance (under the About Me tab) and indicate the college you will attend in the fall on the College tab (if applicable).
- Clear all home school fines.
- Pay for final transcripts to be sent if attending a 4 year college.
Make sure you are aware of what you need to do if you are walking in your home school graduation. Please refer to the information below if you are participating. Students who do not follow through with requirements will not be allowed to walk in their home school graduation.
You can pick up your diploma immediately after your home school graduation, or the week after graduation if you want to avoid the crowds. If you need your college grades on your transcript in order to meet graduation requirements you may need to wait until June 15th to pick up your diploma. Diplomas can be picked up in the home school guidance office.
Congratulations to the Class of 2019!!!