The Weekly Spur
Week Twenty-nine: April 4-April 8, 2016
National Deep Dish Pizza Day - WHAAAAAT???
April 5th recognizes a food holiday that pizza lovers all across the country will enjoy. It is National Deep Dish Pizza Day.
- In ancient Greece, the Greeks covered their bread with oils, herbs and cheese which some people believe is the beginning of the pizza.
- In Byzantine Greek, the word was spelled “πίτα”, pita, meaning pie.
- A sheet of dough topped with cheese and honey, then flavored with bay leaves was developed by the Romans.
- The modern pizza had its beginning in Italy as the Neapolitan flatbread.
- The original pizza used only mozzarella cheese, mainly the highest quality buffalo mozzarella variant which was produced in the area surrounding Naples.
- It was estimated that the annual production of pizza cheese in the United States in 1997 was 2 billion pounds.
- The first United States pizza establishment opened in 1905 in New York’s Little Italy.
- Pizza has become one of America’s favorite meals.
Word of the Week, Quote & Call back:
W.O.W. – Forgiveness: act of forgiving for an offense; pardoning
Quote: “If you really want to love we must learn how to forgive.” By Mother Theresa
Call Back: Kindness…..Matters!
What's on tap this week?
Don't forget your Thank You's for Thank You Thursday!
BOOK FAIR WEEK!
Monday, Apr. 4 - PTA Board Meeting 5:30, Kindergarten program at 6:00
Tuesday, Apr. 5 - UIL after school
Wednesday, Apr. 6 -
Thursday, Apr. 7 -
Friday, Apr. 8 - Cliburn Music Program 10:00am for Grades 2-4
Saturday, Apr. 9 - UIL all day
Happy Birthday to You - this week!
none this week
A look ahead...
Monday, Apr. 11 - EMS ISD Reading Festival at SHS 5:00-6:45
Tuesday, Apr. 12 - Play it Safe Program
Wednesday, Apr. 13 -
Thursday, Apr. 14 - Teacher PDAS Self Report Forms Sections II and III Due!!!!, PTA Carnival 5:30-7:30
Friday, Apr. 15 - No School - Bad Weather Make-up Day!
Saturday, Apr. 16 - UIL 7:00-3:00
Monday, Apr. 18 -
Tuesday, Apr. 19 -
Wednesday, Apr. 20 -
Thursday, Apr. 21 - 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade field trips
Friday, Apr. 22 - Staff Luncheon
*PTA has created a BOX TOP GARDEN. Depending on how many box tops you have turned in depends on how many petals are on your flower. The first petal represents 25 or less box tops and every petal after represents 10 boxtops. **Just a reminder, SPED will be picking up your box top envelope every Friday, not PTA. **
Response to Intervention: Resources for Educators
Here is a link for an interesting article entitled:
"Response to Intervention: Resources for Educators"