MLK Parent Newsletter
August 9, 2020
Distance Learning Begins
On behalf of the staff at Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary School we look forward to serving your family this school year. We appreciate the trust you place on us to help your child learn in grow. The first day of distance learning is Thursday, August 13th. We are excited to meet your children. Everyone is working hard and is ready to take on the challenge of distance learning. Teachers will spend the first week getting to know your child, the class, setting routines and expectations, and most importantly helping them transition emotionally to our new setting. Teachers will be building relationships with their students and their families. After this time, teachers will then jump into the academic portion of the school year. Please don't hesitate to reach out to your child's teacher if you have questions, or call our office at 585-3715.
- Parents please review the device and materials distribution schedule below.
- Your child must be present when you come through the drive thru to pick up your materials.
- Please wear a mask and maintain social distance and remain in your car.
- We ask for your patience and understanding; due to the number of devices and materials to locate this may require a wait time.
- Be on the lookout for a Remind Message from your child's teacher on Wednesday, August 12th. Teachers will send out the information that you will need to help your child log into their device on August 13th.
- Also, our breakfast and lunch distribution will occur this Thursday, August 13th from 7:30 a.m.-8:30 a.m. in our bus area on Dawn Lane.
Device Distribution Schedule
Please complete and return the following completed forms during the device and materials distribution event. We will collect the forms as you pull up to get your child's materials.
· Emergency Card
· Code of Conduct Signature Page
· Supplemental Form
· Migrant Questionnaire (if applicable)
Thursday, Aug. 13th, 7:30-8:30am
820 Hume Avenue
Please have your child's school ID number ready. Meals are only for current MLK students.
We want to formally welcome you to the Crusader Family!
Your child's teacher will be sending you information via Remind on Wednesday, August 12th on how to access their classroom orientation. Teachers will also be waving at your student during the device and materials distribution. This way you and your child can get a glimpse of the teacher.
Monday, August 10th – Distribution of Devices and Materials (Grades 6, 5, 4)
Tuesday, August 11th – Distribution of Devices and Materials (Grades 3, 1, TK/K)
Wednesday, August 12th – Distribution of Devices and Materials (Grade 2)
Wednesday, August 12th – Virtual Kindergarten Orientation (more information will be provided)
Thursday, August 13th – First Day of School InstructionThursday, August 27th – Back to School Night (Virtual – more information will be provided)