GLA West Connections
Wednesday, September 18th
GLA...When They See Us
celebrating hispanic heritage month!
All children need opportunities to explore and celebrate multiple cultures, regardless of whether their school or community formally celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month. Understanding the presence and influence of Latinas and Latinos in our society will help prepare your child for participation in civic life and an increasingly global workforce.
National Hispanic Heritage Month is a month-long celebration of Latino history and culture that runs from September 15th to October 15th. Started by Congress as a one-week event in 1968, and later expanding to one month in 1988, the celebration begins on the 15th rather than the 1st of the month because it coincides with independence day in several Latin American countries (Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica), followed by Mexico on the 16th, Chile on the 18th, and Belize on the 21st.
Click the link below for 10 ways you can celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month at home.
interim reports will be sent home next wednesday!
Rising Stars Picture Day - October 1st
Legendary Picture Day - October 2nd
Collegiate Picture Day - October 3rd
- MORNING ARRIVAL: The earliest time for scholar drop off is 7:15am. All 1st-8th grade scholars enter through the community room doors and Kindergarten enters through the main doors.
- SCHOLAR LATENESS: Scholars are expected to be on time and arrive by 8am. Scholars are officially marked late after 8:20am. Our goal is 95 percent attendance each day and lateness counts!
- PARENT EARLY DISMISSALS: If you need to pick up your scholar early from school, the latest you will be able to is 2:45pm on regular days and 12:15pm on early release days.
- ABSENT NOTES: If your scholar is absent from school, please send in a GLA excuse note along with any documentation you may have. Please note that the only excusable absences are listed on the excuse note.
- 1PM DISMISSALS: Every Wednesday in September is an early dismissal.
- UNIFORMS: All scholars are expected to be in full GLA uniform by 9/19.
- IMMUNIZATIONS PAST DUE: All GLA scholars are required to have up to date immunizations. A letter was sent home today with scholars who are non-compliant with their immunizations. Please check your scholar's book bag for the letter. The letter states that if immunization records are not turned in by September 19th, your scholar will be excluded from school.
- MEDICATION: Medication can only be turned in directly to Nurse Fuller (extension 3030). Medication should not be sent to school with scholars or given to teachers. If the nurse is not available, medication cannot be received. Instructions for medication administration can be found in the welcome packet that was sent home with scholars on Monday.
- RISING STARS READING RELAYS: The Rising Stars will host reading relays on Friday, September 20th from 9am-10am. Please contact your scholar's teacher if you would like to volunteer!
click below to download the absence form note
check out this week's cultural carnival video!
PBIS and LiveSchool
Scholars are explicitly being taught lessons regarding what we expect of them as a scholar at GLA. This approach to supporting is also a positive one. Scholars are acknowledged for exhibiting the behaviors that we expect by receiving LiveSchool points, which they can redeem weekly for various in-class incentives.
Starting Friday, scholars will receive a weekly LiveSchool paycheck with a report of how many points they have earned from last Thursday to this Thursday. Please check for your scholar's paycheck and review it with them. Paychecks should be returned signed on Mondays (Rising Stars and Legendary) or Tuesdays (Collegiate). Thank you for your support!
GLA West now has one school-wide instagram page. Follow Us!
SEPTEMBER CALENDAR AVAILABLE!
CLICK BELOW TO DOWNLOAD SEPTEMBER CALENDAR
OFFICIAL SCHOOL HOURS
Full Days: 8:00 am-3:30 pm
Half Days: 8:00 am -1:00 pm