One to one tutorials
Tutor top tips for one to one tutorials
- Prepare in advance; what do you know about the learner? Draw from previous meetings/records etc. Risk assessment?
- Ask the learner to prepare in advance and give guidelines.
- Discuss boundaries and role.
- Prepare the climate and explain the format, purpose of the meeting and time schedule.
- Begin with something positive.
- Review targets.
- Evidence of stretch, challenge and student aspirations.
- Acknowledge achievements to date, no matter how small.
- Ask open ended questions.
- Enable the learner to do most of the talking.
- Enable the learner to set SMART targets.
- Ensure supportive strategies or referrals are included in the targets/use motivational interviewing techniques.
- Ask the learner to summarise the discussion points and targets to ensure they understand.
- Close the meeting on a positive note.
- Provide the learner with a copy of targets/written record of the discussion.
- Agree the date and time of the next meeting.
After the meeting, send a copy of the target record to the Learning Mentor/student coach
Tutorial, Enrichment & Enterprise Manager