Parent Meerkat Message
From the Desk of Ms. Webb
Feb 12 Dr. Mubenga Town Hall Meeting Neal Middle School 7-8:30 pm
Feb 13 District Early Release Day
Feb 13 Parents of African-American Children (PAAC) meeting Media Center 6-7:30 pm
Feb 14 Vision Screenings for 1st and 3rd graders
Feb 21 Grandparents Breakfast 8:45-9:10 am Cafeteria
Feb 22 Morehead Silent Auction and Dance Party 6:30-10:30 pm Durham Arts Council (babysitting provided)
Feb 26 Primary Field Trip (Aesop's Fables)
Feb 27 Progress Notes go home
Feb 28 Black History Program 2:00-3:30 pm
Important Kindergarten Registration Information
Kindergarten registration begins in Durham Public Schools in February. However, Pre-K students at Morehead do NOT need to apply for Kindergarten at Morehead. No action needs to be taken by Pre-K families in order for your child to remain at Morehead for Kindergarten.
Town Hall Meeting with Dr. Mubenga
Tuesday, Feb. 12th, 7pm
201 Baptist Road
We share this flyer with you.
Dr. Mubenga will hold a Town Hall on Tuesday, Feb. 12, 7 to 8:30 p.m., at Neal Middle, one year after his listening and learning tour, to update the community on the Strategic Plan and ask for feedback on how our 2019-20 budget proposal can best support it. Please post the attached flyer about the Town Hall prominently in your school.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
That’s right, every DPS school will be serving local, pasture-raised pork from NC family farms! Please encourage your kids to give Durham Bowls a try.
Durham Bowls is an experiment. Their hypothesis is that participation in school lunch — kids eating school food — will go up when the Bowls are on the menu. Higher participation means more money for school food. More money means it’s more feasible to put fresh, delicious meals using local ingredients (like the Durham Bowls) on the menu more often. That's a good thing!
For more information, go to: https://www.durhambowls.org/. Menu for the entire year:
Feb 21 - Chicken and Cornbread Dumplings by Venice Prince (Lucas Middle) & Chef Toriano Fredericks (Boricua Soul Food Truck)
March 21 - The Big Dipper Bowl by Jim Keaten (Executive Director of Child Nutrition Services for DPS) & Chef Andrea Reusing (The Durham)
April 25 - Thai Chicken and Curried Vegetable Bowl with Coconut Rice by Vilma Forrester (W.G. Pearson Elementary) & Chef John Eisensmith (Black Twig Cider House)
Safety, Security, and Equity
In recent weeks we have had a lot of news coverage of incidents which have highlighted issues of student safety, security, and equity.
- We are committed to the safety and security of all students.
- At Morehead, we mean for our school to be free of bullying.
- Our school supports every child without exception.
- I would like to give a HUGE shout-out to our high-flying counselor (Ms. Wright), our school social worker (Ms. Cameron), our Assistant Principal (Mr. Seckler) and all other staff members who serve our school community and are a resource to our families.
- Maria Montessori endured multiple periods of wartime in her life and creating a peaceful planet was one of her greatest passions. We are proud to continue her legacy through the explicit teaching (re-teaching) of grace and courtesy and peace curriculum.
- Thank you, Morehead community of families and friends, for being a part of our school culture.
- Share feedback with us by calling 919-560-3954.