CUSTER SCHOOL DISTRICT TIDBITS
A heartfelt "Thank You" to our local ranchers for caring about our students!
Make sure to OPT-In to receive text messages from CSD by typing YES to #67587
Important Dates for 2023-24 School Year
- Fri., Dec. 15 - scheduled snow make-up day, if needed
- Dec. 21 - last day of school before Christmas break
- Jan. 8 - School resumes
- Fri., Jan. 26 - scheduled snow make-up day, if needed
- Fri., Feb. 23 - scheduled snow make-up day, if needed
- March 12 - Parent-Teacher Conferences - 4-7:30 p.m.
- Fri., March 22 - scheduled snow make-up day, if needed
- March 28-April 1 - Spring Break
- Fri., April 5 - scheduled snow make-up day, if needed
- Fri., April 19 - scheduled snow make-up day, if needed
- Fri., May 3 - scheduled snow make-up day, if needed
- May 18 - 2024 CHS Graduation - 2 p.m.
- May 23 - last day of school
November is Native American
TeachSD reached out to Fred Osborne of the South Dakota Office of Indian Education to invite him to discuss resources available for educators from his office. Schools can use these resources year-round to provide opportunities for students to know and understand South Dakota’s unique American Indian culture. Visit the DOE blog to read Mr. Osborne’s article. Mr. Osborne encourages visiting their website as they have abundant resources including lesson plans, videos, scholarships, and much more.
Jr/Sr HS Announcements
There will be a senior class meeting Thursday, Nov. 30th, during 4th hour in Mr. Kelley’s room. All seniors need to be present.
- We are ordering caps/gowns! Cost is $28/person, includes cap/gown and tassel. Please submit cash or check to the office. (optional souvenir bling tassel is an extra $15)
- 12/19 ~ Senior Projects Night - 7 p.m. @ CHS - open to public
- Juniors & Seniors – Dual credit applications for the 2024 semester are open! Stop in to visit with Mrs. French!
- If you plan to take the ACT, you can register for ACT Prep classes with Mrs. Mertz in the library. See flyers and Mrs. Mertz for more information.
- Wednesday, NOV 29TH: ALL JUNIORS WILL BE TAKING THE ASVAB APTITUDE TEST
Clubs & Organizations:
PIE MEETING(PARENTS INVOLVED IN EDUCATION): MEETINGS WILL BE THE SECOND WEDNESDAY OF THE MONTH AT 5:00pm on 12/13.
- The annual Lifeways AMP event is back. We are seeking artwork to be displayed at the Dahl’s Art Center in Rapid City, SD. Examples may include: drawings, paintings, pottery, poetry, writing, etc. Artwork can be something you have created in the past and just want to share with the community. All artwork will be returned at the end of the event. Deadline for artwork submission is: December 8. Please see Ms. Danielle Meyer for application and details.
- FCCLA will meet Tuesday, Dec. 5th at 7:30 a.m. in Ms. Frederick’s room. Also, if you would like to join Knowledge Bowl FOR FCCLA, you can join the meeting during WC Time on Dec. 5th in Ms. Frederick’s room.
FCA will meet Wednesday morning at 7:30 a.m. in the theatre.
Sign up for this Sr. Project - Still a few spots open!
It's open to the community of Custer. You can lip sync, sing karaoke, sing your own song, dance, play an instrument, tell jokes, show us your dog and the tricks you taught it, show us what you got! Contact the number on the flyer, respond to this post or email email@example.com.
Exchange Students Looking to Spend Spring Semester in Custer
Do you have an extra bed for 16 weeks?
- HARINI from Malaysia and TAMAS from Germany are each needing a family to welcome them into their home for the spring semester. They will arrive with their own spending money and medical insurance. You provide a bed, care and support. They both are "A" students with excellent English skills.
- HARINI loves reading, sports and chess. She is gregarious, very social and self-reliant. She is open to any new experiences. Harini says, " What matters most is the people that I meet"
- TAMAS enjoys playing soccer and basketball. In fact, at 6'2", his teammates call him "Orangutan." Tamas is outdoorsy and very personable. He says, "Thank you in advance; I won't disappoint"
ACT Information - Please save the dates!
The Library will offer ACT Prep classes for all interested students on most Friday mornings, beginning January 26th through April 12th. Any high school student may attend the sessions. Juniors are highly encouraged to attend the sessions and take the ACT test on April 13th. The April test is one of the three tests per year that ACT offers an option to purchase test results for an additional $32. If students wish to take the test again in their Senior year to improve their scores, they can have their actual test, answers, and answer key to identify their strengths and weaknesses. Any seniors who plan to take the ACT in December can arrange with Mrs. Mertz to prepare for the sections in which they wish to improve their scores. Students may sign up for ACT Prep in the Library.
CSD Staff Highlight ~ Teacher Judy Uhrich ~ 36 Years of Service
Why did you choose to work for CSD? Custer is in the beautiful Black Hills where we vacationed after my husband, Joe, lost his fingers in construction accident.
What is the biggest change you have seen in your position specifically during your tenure here? Special Education was in a segregated setting back in the ‘80’s; I credit two fellow Custer Middle School teachers at the time, Melissa Nelson, who taught English, and Gerry Avery, who taught Social Studies, who encouraged me to include special education students and team teach with them. This ‘opened the door’ to what inclusion (services/teacher to general education with students) vs. mainstreaming (students went to general education classes alone and it was “sink or swim”) is today. With South Dakota’s one graduation diploma, inclusion is more important than ever!
- What was something that happened during your years here that was a positive change for the district/students/community, etc. During my early years at Custer MS, I taught Life Skills and had the nursing home as our community partners. Not only friendships and companionship occurred, but an increase in self-confidence and self-esteem for my students did as well. I also coached CMS Knowledge Bowl for 27 years. I had two region championship teams, meaning the best in the northern & southern hills (18 teams).
- What is a piece advice you could share with students? Always give your best effort and your results will be great, but don’t forget to try new things and have fun because your childhood passes quickly
- What’s a fun fact about you? I love to walleye fish!
Custer Junior/Senior High School
Assistant Principal/Activities Director: Joey Kortemeyer - firstname.lastname@example.org
Custer Jr High Assistant Principal, AD & Counselor: Dusty Petz - email@example.com
Administrative Assistant: Kelli Moore - firstname.lastname@example.org
Custer Activities Schedule for 2023-24
If you like to follow the Wildcat teams as well as other teams from around the state, I suggest downloading the SD ScoreFeed App – blue icon with SD in white letters. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sd-scorefeed/id1526734870
It is free and features live fan scoring updates for football, volleyball, and basketball, links to livestreams, region standings, and media rankings.
Please see the schedule below for this week’s activities.
Best wishes to the Oral Interp team as they compete at the State A competition this weekend in Harrisburg!!
Best wishes to the wrestlers as they open the season with two home events this week!
- Duals on Thursday include Custer, Hot Springs, Harding County and Burke/Gregory
Bill Young Invitational
Friday, December 1, 2023
Custer Armory - 9AM
- TEAMS PARTICIPATING
Bear Creek, CO , Belle Fourche, Crawford, NE, Custer, Douglas, Burke/Gregory, Harding County,
Hay Springs, NE, Hemingford, NE, Hill City, Hot Springs, Lakota Tech, Lead/Deadwood, Little Wound, McIntosh, McLaughlin, Newell, Pine Ridge, Rapid City Central JV, Rapid City Stevens JV, Red Cloud, St. Thomas More, Spearfish, Sturgis JV
- ENTRY INFORMATION: Each school will be allowed to enter one (1) wrestler per weight class for the boys division. We will be using a 16-man bracket and will be wrestling back to 3rd place. We will fill the 16-man weight class as entries will allow. We will have a separate Beginners Division in some weight classes that exceed the 16 man Bracket. Those wrestlers that qualify for the beginners division will be determined at the seeding meeting. The wrestlers in the Beginners Division will be placed in Round Robins on an outside mat.
- GIRLS DIVISION: There will be a Girls OPEN Division to enter a team’s Girl wrestlers, and matchups and bracket types for the girls will be determined by the number of girl’s entries.
- TEAM POINTS AND AWARDS
Awards will be given for the 1st-3rd place team finishers and also 1st-4th place medals for individuals in each weight class. Team points will be kept using standard 16 man bracket scoring. We will be wrestling back to 3rd place and will conduct 5th and 7th place matches.
Adults: $8.00 Students $5.00 Black Hills Conference and Custer Activity passes accepted. Live updates will be available on Track Wrestling.
- CONCESSIONS will be available.
State Oral Interp
Friday, Dec 1, 2023, 08:00 AM
Harrisburg High School, East Willow Street, Harrisburg, SD, USA
Good Luck to the CHS Oral Interp Team performing at State - Dec. 1-2👏
Tons of Wildcat Merchandise Available to Purchase for your Favorite Wildcats!
Check out the attached link to the new Custer Wildcat Spirit-Wear store. The store is open 24-7 and items can be customized for a particular activity and/or personalized with a name. To make it even more convenient, all items ordered ship directly to your house! There are a variety of clothing items along with many accessory items. It’s not too early to get some Christmas shopping done! 😊
CES Upcoming Dates to Remember
Click here for the CES Facebook Page - follow for more school information & announcements!
Welcome to our New Staff Members:
- Mary Eide - Paraprofessional
- Ashley Siers - SpEd Paraprofessional
- Darla Hemingway - Part-time Office Paraprofessional
November's Theme– Responsibility
Nov 29th: November Student of the Month Assembly at 8:10 am
Nov 30th: 2nd & 4th-grades Music Concert at 7:00 pm in the Jr/ Sr High Theatre
DECEMBER EVENTS at CES:
Dec 7: 1st & 3rd grade concert at 7:00pm @ CHS Theatre
Dec 12th: Student Council Meeting at 7:35 in Mrs. Webster’s room
Dec 13th: Student Council Teacher Hot Coco and Candy Trolley (PM)
Dec 15th: Snow makeup day - if needed
Dec 20th: Festival of Trees Parade/Voting
Dec 20th: Christmas/Holiday Hat Day, 50 cents – Student Council
Dec 20th: 2nd Grade Christmas Reader’s Theater Presentation at 3:00 pm
Dec 21st: Ms. Bush Christmas program at 12:35 pm
Dec 21st: End of 2nd quarter & last day of school before Christmas break
Jan. 8: School Resumes for 2024
Hermosa Music Concerts for 2023-24
December 14 @ 1:30 and 6:00 - PreK- Fourth Grade concert
December 19 @ 1:30 and 6:00 - Fifth and Middle School Band and Choral Winter Program
March 14 @ 1:30 and 6:00 - Middle School Musical
May 16 @ 1:30 and 6:00 - Spring Pops Concert and Band Concert
What's Coming Up at HES?
Upcoming Dates to Remember
- December 4th - Hearing Screening PreK - 3rd, 5th, 7th
- December 7th - School Dance 5th-8th Grade
- December 8th - Friday Opportunity Service Project 5th-8th Grade
- December 11th - School Board Meeting (Hermosa) 6:00
- December 14th - JK-4th Grade Christmas Program 1:30/6:00
- December 19th - Band/Choir Program 1:30/6:00
- December 21st - End of 1st Semester
- December 22nd - Christmas Break Begins
- January 8th - School Resumes
Upcoming Hornet Activities
- Nov 30th - Girls Basketball @ St. Pauls 4:00
- Dec 1st - Girls Basketball @ Lead (Cartwright Tournament) TBD
- Dec 2nd - Girls Basketball @ Lead (Cartwright Tournament) TBD
- Dec 2nd - Wrestling @ Rapid City 9:00
- Dec 4th - Girls Basketball @ Southwest 4:00
- Dec 5th - Wrestling @ Douglas 4:00
- Dec 5th - Girls Basketball @ Hill City 4:00
- Dec 7th - Wrestling @ Custer 4:00
- Dec 7th - Girls Basketball @ Hermosa 4:00
- Dec 9th - Wrestling @ Newcastle 9:00
- Dec 11th - Girls Basketball @ Hot Springs 4:00
Staff Spotlight ~ Kassie Davalos ~ CSD Speech-Language Pathologist
I am a Speech-Language Pathologist and I work in CSD’s Special Education department. This is my 10th year with CSD.
Why did you choose to work for CSD?
I really felt a connection with the special education staff when I interviewed. It immediately felt like a great fit. I love CSD and I feel so blessed that I get to work here!
What do you most enjoy about your position?
I love that I get to work with the most amazing students, staff, and families in both Custer and Hermosa.
Please share one piece of advice for students that you wish you had known when you were in school.
Get enough sleep! Your brain and your body work best when they are well-rested.
What’s your favorite quote/saying?
“Don’t get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life”-Dolly Parton
What’s a fun fact about you?
I love to bake with sourdough, and I have an ever-growing collection of house plants. My favorites are my jade plants!
Buildings & Grounds Supervisor ~ Joe Uhrich ~ 36 Years of Service
Why did you choose to work for CSD? After working as a construction foreman for 6 years, we moved to Custer. I was told there was a night custodian position open. Neil Witt and Bill Hughes (CSD employees at the time) thought I would be an asset to the school with my background in building and construction. My wife, Judy, taught during the day, and I worked at night. This worked out well for our young daughter, Sarah.
What is the biggest change you have seen in your position specifically during your tenure here? The biggest change I have seen in my position is the implementation of more technology. After losing my phone at the bottom of Angostura, I was told I needed to get a smart phone.
- What was something that happened during your years here that was a positive change for the district/students/community, etc. The biggest, positive change has been the new school buildings on both sides of the district.
- What is a piece advice you could share with students? Treat others with respect; everyone wants to belong. We are all unique.
- What’s a fun fact about you? I enjoy hunting and fishing. Growing up on a farm taught me responsibility and work ethic. Judy and I are so grateful for our family; our 3 daughters have chosen wonderful sons-in-law and we have 4 super grandsons. My favorite food has always been chicken and rice. My favorite musical artists include AC/DC, John Fogarty, Led Zepplin, Jefferson Starship, and The Eagles. I have a small collection of shot glasses from the states we have traveled to.
Free and Reduced Meal Application Form
All families are encouraged to complete school meal applications at the beginning of each school year by submitting an application directly to the school or district office. Applications can be submitted electronically within the Infinite Campus Parent Portal (select “more” then “meal benefits”). Applications are reviewed by district officials before granting free or reduced price benefits. Families who receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits, or participate in other federal assistance programs, including Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) are automatically eligible. Families earning at or below current Income Eligibility Guidelines, could be eligible for free or reduced-priced meals.
District 30 Legislative/Custer School Board Meeting
Round table discussion of the upcoming legislative session and potential impact on education
Meeting will be at Custer High School.
Tuesday, Dec 19, 2023, 06:00 PM
Custer High School, Wildcat Lane, Custer, SD, USA
The CSD Board of Ed Meeting for January has been moved from the 8th to the 15th.
Custer School District Vacancies
CUSTER SCHOOL DISTRICT VACANCIES
SPECIAL EDUCATION TRANSITION TEACHER w/wout Coaching - needed full-time at Custer High School starting immediately. Coaching opportunities. SD Teacher Certification required and must be "Highly Qualified." Salary based on salary structure, DOE. Must complete CSD Certified Staff Application form; submit copies of transcripts and SD Teacher Certificate; and 3 current letters of recommendation. Contact Custer School District, 527 Montgomery St., Custer, SD 57730, 605.673.3154 Apply online here.
SPECIAL ED PARAPROFESSIONAL – full-time special ed paraprofessional needed to assist teachers and students at the Custer Elementary School in grades 3-6. Will work a total of 7.75 hrs/day, according to school calendar starting immediately. Starting $16.60/hr. Locations of the assignments are subject to change. Two years of college preferred or must pass the state-required paraprofessional exam prior to starting. Contact Custer School District, 527 Montgomery St., Custer, SD 57730, 605.673.3154. Open until filled. EOE Current CSD paraprofessionals interested in this position must submit an email or letter of interest to Supt. Naugle on or before 4 p.m. on 11.13.23. Apply Online at www.csd.k12.sd.us.
PART-TIME SPECIAL ED PARAPROFESSIONAL – special ed paraprofessional needed to assist teachers and students at the Custer Elementary School on a part-time basis. Will work a total of 4 hrs/day, according to school calendar starting immediately. Starting $16.60/hr. Locations of the assignments are subject to change. Two years of college preferred or must pass the state-required paraprofessional exam prior to starting. Apply Online at www.csd.k12.sd.us. Contact Custer School District, 527 Montgomery St., Custer, SD 57730, 605.673.3154. Open until filled. EOE.
SPECIAL EDUCATION PARAPROFESSIONALS – two (2) needed full-time to assist teachers with students with special needs at Hermosa School, for 7.75 hrs/day, $16.60/hr, starting immediately. Will work according to school calendar. Interested applicants must complete the online application. Two years of college preferred or must pass the state-required paraprofessional exam prior to starting. Contact Custer School District, 527 Montgomery St., Custer, SD 57730, 605.673.3154. Open until filled. EOE - Apply Online
Coaching Openings - Apply Online
Current employees send letter/email of interest to Supt. Mark Naugle email@example.com all others must complete an application.
- Head Varsity Football Coach - $4,346 - starting 2024
- Hermosa Boys Basketball Assistant Coach - $1,087 - starting winter 2023.
SUBSTITUTE CLEANERS - needed at all schools to fill-in for staff when needed. Must complete CSD classified application packet and complete a criminal background check. $16/hr DOE ·
SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS - needed at all schools. Must complete CSD substitute application packet, submit proof of highest level of education, and complete a criminal background check prior to starting. Contact the CSD Admin. Office for a packet, or apply online at CSD.k12.sd.us, which will include the fingerprint/background check materials. Minimum requirement, HS graduate. Pay range $110/day-$135/day. Retired CSD Teachers start at $135/day.
Custer School District, 527 Montgomery St., Custer, SD 57730. PH: 605.673.3154 FAX: 605.673.5607, Mon.-Thurs., 7:30-4:30 p.m. and Fridays 8-1 p.m. Current CSD employees interested in a position must submit a letter of interest to Mr. Mark Naugle, Supt. of Schools. All other interested applicants must complete a CSD Job Application available at the address above or at www.csd.k12.sd.us. EOE.
The Custer School District 16-1 does not discriminate on the basis of race or color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy), disability, sexual orientation, age, religion and creed, military/veteran status, or marital status, in admission or access to or treatment or employment in its programs and activities: and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. For inquiries concerning the District’s compliance with Title VI or the Age Discrimination Act please contact the Superintendent of Schools, 527 Montgomery St., Custer, SD, 57730, (605) 673-3154; for Title IX please contact the Activities Director, 1645 Wildcat Lane, Custer, SD, 57730, (605)673-4473; or for Section 504 of the Americans with Disabilities (ADA) act please contact the Special Education Director, 527 Montgomery St., Custer, SD, 57730, (605) 673-3154. For further inquiries contact the South Dakota Regional Office for Civil Rights, Kansas City Office, U.S. Dept. of Education, One Petticoat Lane, 1010 Walnut Street, Suite 320, Kansas City, MO, 64106, phone (816) 268-0550, TDD (800) 877-0599, Fax (816) 268-0559, e-mail: OCR.KansasCity@ed.gov
Custer School District
Superintendent Mark Naugle - firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrative Assistant to the Superintendent Jennie Anderson - email@example.com
Click here for all staff listing
Administration Office Hours:
Mon.-Thurs. ~ 7:30-4:30 p.m.
Fridays ~ 8 a.m. ~ 1 p.m.
The Mission of Custer School District is to Educate Every Student to His/Her Potential.