DC Staff Update
17 January 2016
I'm grateful this week for...
The Primary Young Performers Evening on Thursday night was a great success and once again demonstrated just how musically talented many of our students are. Thanks to Michael and the music team for pulling that together.
MYP Evaluation Report
Our MYP Evaluation Report has been received and my congratulations to all staff involved in this process, and in particular to Adrian Gan (who started it) and Kirsty de Wilde who led it this year and through the actual evaluation. DC received the following commendations:
- Teachers in all subjects effectively use formative assessment to provide regular feedback to students on their learning.
- The school has taken advantage of a variety of opportunities to actively participate in and contribute to the IB world community.
- The library plays a significant role in the ongoing implementation and development of theprogramme.
- Parents, students, and teachers place a strong emphasis on the personal project, its significance and relevance for students and the Personal Project exhibition.
Recommendations came as no surprise and are around the following areas: embedding ATLs in our written curriculum; having an ATL chart; embedding Service as Action opportunities with our written curriculum; an IDU in each year level on the new IDU planner; more collaborative time to be given in order to develop these.
The process of interviewing prospective teachers for next year continues, and I will be leaving Tuesday night for the London Search fair. I hope to be able to announce appointments to the HEC and one of the secondary Chinese positions at the end of this week. The following roles are still being interviewed for:
- MYP/DP Chinese (2nd position)
- MYP Science/DP Chemistry
- MYP English/Humanities
- MYP/DP Drama
- Sarah and Kevin on the birth of their beautiful daughter, Briea Margaret McDavid, last week
- Heidi Metzler on completing her Masters in Child and Adolescent Psychology
- Mark Sum on completing his BA/BA (Hons) in Hospitality and Service Management
- Y13 students have their mock (trial) exams this week in the Diploma Centre. Please respect their need for no interruptions or noise in that area.
- The Chinese Speech competitions are being held Wed/Thurs for primary (Y4-6) and secondary. Click HERE for details.
- All Y12 students will be attending the ESF University Fair at Island School on Wednesday, with more than 150 institutions from around the world present.