Welcome to August and a new school year -- one that I hope will be closer to normal for all of us. Here at Hood, we have aptly named our operational plan for the next academic year the "Promise of Fall." It is our commitment to offer a positive, near-normal experience for our students.
Of note in our plans for the academic year:
- It was important for us to have the complete picture of vaccinations on campus to move forward. In addition to mandating vaccines for our students, we required all employees (faculty, staff and contractors) to either upload their vaccination status or sign a declination form.
- I'm thrilled to report that our current reported vaccination rate for campus is over 80%! An updated dashboard of our reported vaccine data can be viewed here. This dashboard will be updated regularly to provide current information about the COVID picture on campus.
- All courses will resume their pre-pandemic formats.
- Blazer athletics will compete with regularly scheduled practices and competitions. Spectators are allowed so be sure to cheer the Blazers on to victory! You can find the fall schedule here.
- We had hoped to start the year with no masks, given the herd immunity campus; but due to the subsequent threat of spread in the community, we are following CDC guidance and have instituted an indoor mask mandate, regardless of vaccination status. We may adjust if the rate in the County warrants it.
I am excited to be able to welcome you back to campus for our annual Neighbors' Breakfast (see details below) and show off the newly renovated Beneficial-Hodson Library and Learning Commons. Please visit campus and join us for events.
Andrea Chapdelaine, Ph.D.
WELCOME BACK TO OUR STUDENTS
- Tuesday, August 17: Fall student-athletes
- Wednesday, August 18: First-year students
- Friday, August 20: Sophomore students (optional orientation)
- Saturday, August 21 & Sunday, August 22: Returning students
- August 23 -- First day of classes
- September 6 -- Labor Day, classes in session and offices open
- October 11-12 -- Fall break; no classes
- November 24-28 -- Thanksgiving recess
- December 6 -- Last day of classes
- December 14 -- Residence halls close for winter break
The full 2021-22 academic calendar can be viewed here.
Save the Date: Annual Neighbor's Breakfast
Following the president's update on the College, you will be invited to tour the library and learning commons.
Watch your email for a formal invite.