Grapevine Mustang Band
Week of July 26
Notes from the Directors:
Good afternoon Mustang Band!
- As many of you are aware by now, our goals for the marching season have shifted in response to the current situation. This shift will also impact our timeline and activities as we begin preparation for the school year. At this time, we will rehearse virtually, with an updated in person calendar to be released soon. We feel that this is the best way forward as we continue to get updated guidance. We realize that this is very disappointing to our students and it was not a decision that was reached without a great deal of thought. We share the disappointment that you feel and we cannot wait to make music and memories with all of you again. We will keep you updated as we receive more information. Thank you for all of your understanding and flexibility as we navigate this ever-changing road.
- We ask that all of our families begin to assess their desire to participate in our marching band this season. It is completely optional for a student to participate in the marching band this season and all in-person rehearsals and performances will be socially distant for their entire duration. Soon you will receive a survey to assess your preference for virtual or in person learning along with your plans for participation in marching band. This survey is strictly for our planning purposes for the coming year.
- The change in goals for our program will also impact the financial aspect of our program. Without the expenses incurred by a competitive marching season, we hope to be able to reduce the band fees for every member. We are still in the process of determining more specific details at this time. We are committed to transparency as we reevaluate our band fees and will share all the details with you once we have them.
- Colorguard members will be able to pick up flags from GHS next week. We will send a sign up form via remind with times for members to get their flags. Flags will be sanitized and placed on a cart so it will be contactless to pick them up. It is important that all guard members have a flag so we can begin guard rehearsals!
- All sections will have a virtual hangout this week to get to know each other and check in on each other. The other sections will meet in the times listed below. It is important that our students have a chance to see each other and build bonds during this difficult time. We will play our instruments a little and get to know each other a lot!
- Virtual percussion camp will begin on Monday, July 27th. For more information, please make sure that you are in attendance at the virtual hangout this evening. A detailed schedule will be emailed out following the meeting.
- Your band directors are also excited to get to know you! We have a short survey for each student to fill out so we can know our students better! The directors will also share their answers with the students. CLICK HERE
- Band Registration has been moved to a drive-through event on August 15th. We will be able to collect all forms at this time as well as distribute items that have been ordered. We have some fun surprises in store for you!
- JOIN REMIND (SEE BELOW)
- We are excited to start our first fundraiser of the year! We have partnered with MSC Fundraising to sell masks! The website has our initial line up, but more will be added soon! You can check it out here: https://www.mscfundraising.com/collections/ghs-mustang-band
- If you are a guard member, please see this info! Guard members will be wearing dance leggings with the summer uniform and the Google doc below will give you sizing and order information.
- (GUARD) Please fill out this google doc to place your order for leggings and earrings: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScBN97xiNi5L_y9QBwoJRgMa_JSeKOSPngswbkpor0oJM7F8A/viewform
- (GUARD) Please use the chart on the link to get the size that works the best for you. These will replace the summer uniform shorts for all guard members.
- Our leadership has put together a welcome video to our incoming students! You can check it out here: https://www.grapevinehsband.com/
- The TMEA All-Region Etudes are released. You will be able to find them here: https://www.tmea.org/divisions-regions/band/audition-material
- Learning the All-Region Etudes will be an important part of the curriculum for all instrumentalists in our program. A head start on this semester project will be extremely valuable for every student.
- The BEST way for a student to start learning the All-Region etudes is to register for the TBA student day. You can find more information about this event here: https://www.texasbandmasters.org/student-day/. Students that are interested must email Mr. Rees! There are great clinics for guard, percussion and all winds. If you’re available on Saturday, July 18th you can’t miss this incredible opportunity!
- We are in the process of updating Charms. If you are receiving our emails you are listed on the Grapevine Band roster. If you attend CHHS, please let Mr. Rees (firstname.lastname@example.org) know and we will transfer you to the correct school.
- Band Fees. Click HERE for how to pay information.
- The GHS Band Calendar has been updated and can be found HERE.
- We have also compiled another version of the calendar that can be found HERE.
- INCOMING FRESHMEN: Members of our Band Leadership Team will be reaching out to their sections at various points over the summer. If you have any questions please reach out to Mr. Rees via email. (if you are not on the google classroom, join! (code:aan7mel)
- Pay your delinquent band fees.
- You need to clean and disinfect your instruments! (videos below)
- Establish a routine for yourself to keep your life as normal as possible. Dedicate time to growing as a musician every day. Our suggestion is below.
Section Meeting Times
Flutes: Thursday @ 2pm
Clarinets: Wednesday @ 1pm
Saxophones: Wednesday @ 2pm
Trumpets: Thursday @ 12pm
Mellophones: Friday @ 11am
Trombones: Monday @ 10am
Baritones: Monday @ 6pm
Tubas: Tuesday @ 1pm
Percussion: Wednesday @ 4pm
Guard: Sunday @2pm
Ms. Irby will be sending meeting codes via Remind and Google Classroom.
- If we have a physical on file for 2019-2020, they are taken care of.
- ALL New Members need a Physical completed on the designated form.
- ALL Members OLD and NEW need an updated medical history form. The form can be found here: https://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/forms/PrePhysFormRvsd1_10_20.pdf
- Please fill the first page out and sent it to Ms. Irby. You may also bring the form the first day of your summer band activities. All students must have this on file before they can begin ANY activity. Students without this required paperwork will not be allowed to participate in any capacity and will be sent home.
Parents will be prompted to update their own password. CHARMS sent an email out this week.
Email Ms. Irby if you have any questions about CHARMS.
Remind – All students and parents must join the remind groups. To join your Remind group, text the code below to 81010. We use Remind to communicate quickly during events and will only send out messages that are important for everyone.
- All Band Members: @ghsband-21
- Parents: @mustpar20
- All Leadership: @ghslead20
- Guard: @guardghs20
- Percussion: @drumsghs20
Start Raising Money NOW!
Scrip Gift Card Fundraiser (always ongoing)
○ Start now: go to https://shopwithscrip.com
○ Enter our school enrollment code:72226A747L87
Hello Band Families,
The Show must go on!! Your Band Directors and Booster Club are working hard on planning for next year’s marching and concert season. As most of you heard on the virtual parent meeting, 2020-21 band fee payments begin May 15.
Scrip Gift Card Fundraising is a great way to raise some (or all) of that money simply by paying with gift cards for purchases you normally make!
In a nutshell, the scrip website has hundreds of gift cards to choose from. You buy the ones you like and pay full price for them. You then receive the rebate (percentage varies by retailer and is listed). Back to your student’s charms account. When it’s time tomake a fee payment, simply let our treasurer, Andrea Galante, know via email. Treasurer@grapevinehsband.com and tell her you would like to apply your credits toward the fee.
For parents of incoming freshmen, you may start with Scrip now and we will track your credits and apply them in charms once your student is promoted to GHS Band.
1). To get started, go to www.shopwithscrip.com, create an account and use our school enrollment code: 172226A747L87.
2). In light of current circumstances, please choose electronic gift cards and pay via credit card or by linking your bank account. Once we are able to receive UPS packages at school, we will do an order that includes physical (plastic) gift cards too. Electronic gift cards can be sent as gifts and will go out in an attractive format to the recipient’s email address.
3). Pay attention to rebate percentages to maximize yours earnings. Often retailers have bonus rebates and your earn a higher percentage. Mark your calendar for May 7th.... it’s Thanks-scripping Day. Many retailers will have bonus rebates that will not be advertised in advance!