Pouring oil on trouble water
How do oil spills happend?
- People making mistakes and being careless
- Equipment breaking down
- Mother earth: hurricanes
- Illegal dumpers
Effects on Wildlife
Five of the worlds seven sea turtles can be found in the gulf. When sea turtles surface in oil covered water they can breathe oil vapors and residue. Which can get into their lungs an cause respiratory problems. Oil can get into their eyes and can cause damage vision and also if they digest oil it can cause major damage to their internal organs.
Seabirds get covered with oil while diving into oily waters to fish. The birds may ingest oil when they eat prey that is covered in or has ingested oil. Once birds are covered with oil, they have difficulty flying, or are completely unable to fly, making feeding impossible.
Deepwater Horizon oil spill
- Over 8,000 animals (birds, turtles, mammals) were reported dead just 6 months after the spill, including many that were already on the endangered species list.
- In the BP Oil Spill, more than 200 million gallons of crude oil was pumped into the Gulf of Mexico for a total of 87 days, making it the biggest oil spill in U.S. history.
How to stop oil spills from happening
- Keep oil or oil-products out of the environment.
- Educate others
- Protest actions that you may think are wrong that can hurt the wildlife
- If your family changes motor oil take the oil to service station so it can be recycle and Never pour oil down the drain