Don't Drink and Drive

Ava, Chandler, Madison, Elora, Mallory

Facts and Statistics

- In the U.S. in 2007 there were 1,393 teenage deaths due to drunk driving

- 31% of teenagers that are killed in motor vehicle accidents were under the influence of alcohol

- In 2011, more than 1.2 million people were arrested because they were driving under the influence of alcohol or some type of narcotic

Effects and Dangers Associated with Alcohol

- Alcohol causes the nerve cells to have a slower reaction time

- The stomach only absorbs 20% of alcohol. The remaining 80% is absorbed by the small intestine

- After exceeding a certain blood-alcohol level, your respiratory system becomes very slowed down

- A lack of oxygen can cause a coma or possibly even death

- When driving under the influence of alcohol, your chance of being killed in a car accident is multiplied by 11 times

Further Effects of Alcohol on Your Body

- Reaction time is dramatically decreased

- Vision can be blurred or impaired

- Ability to track the car ahead of you, your own car, road signs and position of the lines id decreased

- A decrease in concentration or increase in drowsiness can occur

- Ability to make rationalized decisions is hindered

- Coordination and motor skills are reduced

Interview with Miles (Pudge) Halter

Q: What was your first reaction to hearing about Alaska's death?

A: "I thought: It's all my fault.

I thought: I don't feel very good.

I thought: I'm going to throw up." (Page 139)


Q: What did you think when you drove the highway she died on?

A: "We are driving through the place that she could not drive through, passing onto asphalt she never saw, and we are not dead. We are not dead!" (Page 213)


Q: Why do you believe her accident was your fault?

A: "We should have stopped her, I said." (Page 145)


Q: How do you feel now about drinking and driving?

A: "When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don't know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken." (Page 222)

Interviewer: That must be a life changing event

Helplines and Support Available to You

Help with Alcoholism - 855-396-2923

Report Drunk Driving - 911

Emotional Support - 1-877-MADD-HELP