By: Calin McGuire
Facts about Matthew Henson
- He is the son of two freeborn sharecroppers.
- His mother died when he was very young.
- His father and siblings moved to Washington, D.C. in search of work opportunities. (His father died there, leaving his sibling and himself in the care of relatives.)
- At the age of 12 he started working as a cabin boy on a ship.
- In 1891, Henson joined Peary on a Greenland expedition.
Where and When was Henson Born?
Matthew Henson was born in Nanjemoy, Maryland on August 8, 1866 and died in New York City on March 10, 1955.
What was his Career, Education, Publications, and What was he Famous for?
Education: Harvard University
Publications: He wrote a book called, "A Black Explorer in the North Pole"
Famous For: Co-discoverer of the North Pole
Henson and Peary Chipmunk Rap