Week of Sept 19! Home of the Cougars!
Hello Dream Team!
Also, IIMCA community announcements, etc. come through Mr. Engram's weekly newsletter. Please read the community newsletter to remain informed re the WONDERFUL events and happenings at IIMCA!
INSTRUCTION NEWSLETTER SCAVENGER HUNT- Email Ms. Collins the answers to the following questions:
1. What is the current percentage representing our daily check-ins?
2. How many assignments must be in the grade book by content class? Academic Literacy class?
3. What tests are being completed this week?
4. What status has IIMCA achieved due to Mrs. Corona's hard work?
5. What are teachers focused on this week?
6. Why are the Dodgers mentioned in this newsletter?
Email Ms. Collins the answers to the following questions for a great surprise! Admin will have a surprise for the staff member that submits the information first.
This is a community newsletter- If you would like to contribute (on any level) please do so!
-IIMCA Instruction Team
BY THE NUMBERS...
Technique 1: 100% ---As a community, we are at 65%
Remember 100% pertains to 100% of scholars following teachers' directions.
For example, "Everyone take their notebook and begin the opening activity." 23 out of 27 are following the teacher's directions. What happens when they don't follow the directions? Use PROXIMITY, use NARRATION ("I SEE ROW THREE ON TASK- NOTEBOOKS OUT, WORKING AT LEVEL 0, COMPLETING THEIR DO NOW"), use POSITIVE CONSEQUENCES, then NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES.
Noise Level 0 ---As a community, we are at 65%
Read steps below for additional support. Also, if you feel like you need additional help in this area- please reach out to a colleague or a member of the ILT. We are here it help!
Dean's List will now be used to monitor Noise level 0 during the first and last 10 minutes of the class. Read Dean's List section below.
You can approach Noise Level 0 in a similar manner to Technique 1: 100%
For example, "Upon walking into the classroom, walk in at Noise Level 0 and begin working on your Opening Activity..." 23 out of 27 are following the teacher's directions. What happens when they don't follow the directions? Remind scholars of EXPECTATION, ENSURE THAT OPENING ACTIVITY IS READY FOR SCHOLARS UPON ENTERING THE CLASSROOM, Use PROXIMITY, use NARRATION ("I SEE ROW THREE ON TASK- NOTEBOOKS OUT, WORKING AT LEVEL 0, COMPLETING THEIR DO NOW"), use POSITIVE CONSEQUENCES, then NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES.
Daily Classroom Check Ins---- As a community, we are at 80 % (Improvement -7% points)
Team, after our Wednesday PD, there was a huge increase in some areas. Most notably whiteboard configuration. We are at 100%! During our meeting, we discussed each area and i shared what our expectations are for classrooms. - The percentages next to each one is breakdown of where we are... The title percentage is our average . Our goal is 100%
- Whiteboard Configuration ---90% (Decline)
- 100% ---65% (Improvement!)
- Noise Level 0 ---65% (Improvement)
- Lesson Plans- Submitted on time ---78% (Improvement)
- Seating Chart In Use ----80% (Improvement!)
- Use of Dean's List --- 100% (Improvement!)
OUR FOCUS AREAS THIS WEEK
If you need help, ASK FOR IT. Do not allow professional expectations to pile up. The admin team is here to HELP and SUPPORT. If you are one of the teachers that has not set-up their grade book, reach out to me.
Also, if your grade book has been created but you are missing assignments/grades, add them. Gradebooks must be updated on a weekly basis. At this point, your gradebooks MUST have at least 10 assignments for every period except Academic Lit (SSR). Academic Lit should have one grade per week that is determined off of scholars completion of reading log. If you need the reading log, please reach out to Mrs. Hawkins.
Consistent Use of Dean's List
Scholars checking for their names on the Dean's List--- Principal Scholar, Honor Scholar or Scholar!
Testing- NWEA MAP, Achieve 3000, iReady Math
iReady testing will occur in math class this week and during the week, scholars may be pulled to complete their testing by Mr. Bryant. Please be flexible with scholars that are being pulled out and allow them to make-up any work they miss.
Wednesday Intervention/Elective Schedule
Technique 1: 100% -This will remain as our technique until we hit 100%
- We are at 70%. Review information, rewatch video, and implement follow up feedback that was emailed to you by Ms. Collins after your classroom visit.
- When you give directions you must require that 100% of scholars comply
- Us the least invasive form of intervention
- In our case, at IIMCA, we need to provide small wins when scholars are following through
- For example, utilize a class point system that has daily wins and weekly wins until your expectations become the norm
- A small win may be a high five/ high praise/ early release to nutrition (5 min max and teacher must remain with class until supervision team is present)/ candy. A weekly win may be extra credit pass (5 points max)/ small food item/ activity in classroom
- Include 100% commentary in your lesson plans to support your consistency with the practice
- Watch the video below of Mr. Zimmerli's classroom to learn more about 100%
IIMCA Consequence Ladder
We are at 60% with use of this system. (Improvement)
① Verbal warning with correction.
② Name on board (isolated desk and/or move seat) and scholar repeats the action.
③ Scholar to “buddy” teacher and written apology. Document in Dean’s List- Parent communication required.
④ Referral written to Admin.
Our Wednesday PD Details!- Cadre Day at VPPHS
Can you join us at Chavez Ravine for the LA Dodgers vs SF Giants baseball Game this Wednesday?
IIMCA SHOUT OUTS
Lesson Plans in EARLY!
Use of Deans List
Shout out to Everyone for utilizing DL this week. Keep it up!
Please use Deans List for ALL referrals. Do not send out a scholar, complete a referral first and Mr. Dunn will collect the child.
7th Grade Team
IIMCA Shining Star Award- August 2016
his commitment to making our IIMCA school community a better place while embodying the principle’s of Cougar P.R.I.D.E.!
His commitment was observed this summer by making our school community beautiful, embodying our vision and working hard to meet all of his expectations at 100%!
Our IIMCA Shining Star Award was delivered on Friday, Sept 2!