Penguin Press News
The Week of August 19th
A MESSAGE FROM PRINCIPAL BAME
Dear Laurel Park Families,
Welcome back track 3! Laurel Park students have adjusted well to their new classrooms and are finding opportunities to demonstrate their understanding of the 24 Positivity Project character traits throughout the school day. Every week Laurel Park staff members submit "shout-outs" for students who demonstrate acts of positive character traits within our school building. Student shout-outs are presented over our morning announcements and then emailed home to parents for further celebration.
After several weeks of school, we have noticed a few trends and patterns that may need your support and/or adjustment:
- Dogs are not allowed at Penguin Point. We love animals, but many students are scared. If you walk with your pet, please wait on the side closest to the street and have your child walk up to meet you.
- We have noticed a surge in parents parking and meeting students at Penguin Point (designated walker pick-up location). Walkers should truly be walkers. We reserve this status for students who live within our "walking zone" as outlined by the district. Students in this zone do not qualify for school transportation. Our carpool line is relatively smooth compared to many elementary schools similar in size (ending shortly after 4:00 pm each day). If you are parking and picking up your student, we ask that you begin using our carpool line as soon as possible. We have plenty of carpool passes available in our main office.
- Please do not use our visitor parking lot unless you are planning to enter the school building. We have also noticed families using our visitors lot to drop off and pick up students in the morning and afternoon. We greatly appreciate your help in keeping these spots open for our school visitors.
- All early check-outs should occur prior to 3:15 pm.
- Transportation changes should be put in writing and placed in your child's red folders. This practice ensures that substitute teachers are aware of transportation changes. Emergency transportation changes should be shared with our front office staff: 919-290-2333.
- All bike riders must wear helmets.
- Students should not be left at the front door of the school prior to 8:45 am.
Thank you for following these guidelines, in advance!
Track 3 & 4 Curriculum Night Date:
August 27th, 5:30 - 7:30 pm (sign up below for Tracks 3/4)
(please view our community calendar for more dates and information)
Thank you for supporting Laurel Park Elementary School!
Raleigh G. Bame
We appreciate our carpool crew!
Garden Club Updates - Late August 2019
Only 15 Openings Remaining for Classroom Garden Lesson Facilitators!
We still have a few openings for a classroom garden lesson facilitator in the following classrooms:
To ensure that every student at Laurel Park has the opportunity to engage with our school’s edible garden, “mini lessons” that align with science curriculum have recently been developed. The garden lesson facilitators will lead two lessons (approximately 30 minutes each) in the garden this school year. All volunteers are required to complete the WCPSS volunteer registration. This will be a very low time commitment and previous gardening experience is not required! A program overview will be provided and each lesson kit will include step-by-step instructions for the activity, discussion questions (with answers!) and all needed materials. We are excited to offer this new opportunity to engage with your child’s class!
Please email email@example.com to learn more or sign up!