Make your Students Think!
Strategies to Develop Creativity!
- Slow Down! Creative thinking is not quick thinking!
- Cut out the busy work! Fewer assignments allows students time to think outside the box.
- Encourage your students to take risks. New ideas and theories are not discovered without taking chances.
- Allow mistakes. The most memorable life lessons often occur by accident.
Teach empathy. Placing our students in the shoes of others widens their perspective, increases understanding, and exercises the imagination.
Strategies to Develop Critical THinking!
- Encourage students to make connections to their personal lives.
- Ask open ended questions.
- When your students are stuck, don't rush in to save them.
- Facilitate discussion and participation rather than lecture.
- Play the Devil's Advocate - question what is accepted.