Social Studies Scoop
A Monthly Bulletin for 6-12 Social Studies Teachers in CCS
Preparing students for success in college, career, and civic life
In this edition:
- Curriculum & Instruction: Financial Literacy State Requirements
- Curriculum & Instruction: EVERFI Blended Learning Platform
- Curriculum & Instruction: Free Financial Literacy Curriculum and Lesson Plans
- Professional Development: Middle School Content Experts
- Professional Development: Summer Reimagine Me Conference
- Professional Development: Google Level 1 Certification Bootcamp
Curriculum & Instruction
Financial Literacy State Requirements
Topics to be addressed in financial literacy include:
- Financial Responsibility and Decision Making;
- Income and Careers;
- Planning and Money Management;
- Credit/Debt; and
- Risk Management and Insurance.
While there is no minimum amount of instructional time required, the time allotted should be sufficient enough to address each topic meaningfully.
The articles below highlight instructional resources to assist with financial literacy integration.
EVER-FI Blended Learning Platform
EVERFI's virtual courses in Financial Literacy, Civics, and African American History are available free to CCS teachers and students. These courses provide engaging video tutorials, animations, and assessment activities. Student receive digital badges as they complete activities and earn a certificate for completing the courses.
EVERFI is sponsored by 5/3 Bank.
Free Financial Literacy Curriculum and Lesson Plans
Practical Money Skills
- Click here for free lessons for all grade levels. No sign-in required.
Next Gen Personal Finance
- Click here to access Next Gen Finance lessons. All lessons and materials are in Google Docs format. Request a teacher account to access assessments.
National Endowment For Financial Education High School Financial Planning Program
Click here for free high school curriculum available in electronic or hard copy format. Create a free account to download or request copies.
Middle School Content Experts PD 2018
The Social Studies Content Experts program is focused on the College, Career, and Civic Life (C3) Framework. Using the Inquiry Design Model from C3, participating teachers are working in teams to develop an original inquiry and field test the inquiry in their classrooms. In April, we will continue to build C3 inquiries by looking at Dimension 4: Taking Informed Action.
The remaining Content Expert meetings will be held at Linmoor Education Center, 4:00-6:00 p.m. on the following Tuesdays: April 17 and May 15, 2018.
Summer Reimagine Me Conference
Google Certification Level 1 Bootcamp
CCS Professional Learning & Licensure is offering a Google Certification Level 1 Bootcamp!
For information regarding Google For Education Certification programs, please see: https://edutrainingcenter.withgoogle.com/certification
The Bootcamp will be held June 14th & 15th from 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. at Central Enrollment. Central Enrollment is located on the campus of Fort Hayes Metropolitan Education Center. You must attend both days. The training will prepare you for the Google Certification Level 1 examination. While time during the training will not be allotted for you to take the exam, you will receive a voucher to take the exam for free at a later time.