Excellence in a Creative Environment for Learning
On behalf of the staff at D-B EXCEL, I am happy to welcome you to the 2019-2020 school year. We truly look forward to building a productive partnership with you, ensuring our students will reach their highest potential. At DBE we recognize that in order for a student to be successful, they need continued support not only at school but also at home. Therefore, by building a strong partnership with you, together, we can make a difference in your student’s education. As partners, we share responsibility for our student’s success, and I want you to know that DBE's faculty and staff will do our very best to carry out our responsibilities. Accordingly, we ask that you help us guide and support your student’s learning by ensuring that he or she:
1. Attends school daily and arrives on time, before 7:45 am- ready for the day’s learning experience! If your child arrives after 7:45 am, he or she will be marked tardy for the day.
2. Brings his/her laptop & charger to school daily- We are a blended learning school! If he/she does not bring the equipment needed, a phone call will be made home and you will be asked to bring this equipment to school.
3. Completes all assignments/projects given by teachers in a timely manner.
4. Shares school experiences with you so that you are aware of his/her school life. You may also follow your student's teachers on twitter, sign up for the school newsletter at tinyurl.com/DBEXCELnewsletter, check the DBE website frequently (dbexcel.k12k.com) and/or check-in with DBE on Facebook & Twitter. I would encourage you to join our Parent Advisory Committee (PAC). This group will serve as a support and voice for you and your student at DBE. If you are interested in participating, sign up for PAC at tinyurl.com/DBEXCELpac.
5. Informs you if he/she needs additional support in any content area.
6. Knows that you expect him/her to succeed in school and continue to be college and career ready!
7. If your student will drive to school, he/she will need a car tag to put on their rearview mirror. To sign up to receive a car tag, please go to the following link: http://tinyurl.com/DBEparking
DBE is offering two Meet and Greet opportunities for you and your student to attend before the first day of school and you can choose which time to attend. This will be when schedules will be released to students. Additionally, all teachers will be present so you can meet him or her. DBE Meet & Greet will be held on Thursday, August 1st from 1pm-2pm & 4pm-5pm
Also, to help your student become more acquainted with our environment, we will stagger attendance during the first week of school. If your student has a class on the main campus, he or she will be required to attend that main campus class daily the first week back (ex- band, chorus, ROTC, etc). Below is the schedule your student will need to follow for the week of August 6 – August 10:
Monday, August 5th- 11th & 12th Graders attend
Tuesday, August 6th- 11th & 12th Graders attend
Wednesday, August 7th- 9th & 10th Graders attend
Thursday, August 8th - 9th & 10th Graders attend
Friday, August 9th - 9th, 10th, 11th, & 12th ALL STUDENTS Attend
At D-B EXCEL, we are privileged to be part of your student's school family. We thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to seeing you and your student at our next DBE Meet & Greet.
Shanna HensleyPrincipal- D-B-EXCEL
DBE Attendance Email
This email account was created for parents to send doctor's excuses and/or parent notes regarding early dismissals and absences. Please send any doctor's excuses or parent notes for student absences to this email address.
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
Please follow the traffic pattern. When you enter the DBE parking lot, please take an immediate right and circle the lot in that direction.
- Students may be picked up in the DBE parking lot or on Roller Street.
- STUDENTS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE PICKED UP OR DROPPED OFF IN OTHER PARKING LOTS.
- Dismissal procedures are that bus riders are dismissed at the 2:30pm bell, car riders and walkers will be dismissed via announcement once all bus riders are loaded, and then student drivers will be dismissed via announcement once the parking lot is cleared of car riders. Everyone must follow these procedures to ensure safety during dismissal. Failure to follow these procedures will result in an office referral.
- Shanna Hensley/DBE: @KCS_DBEXCEL
- Amanda Dunham: @Dunham_DBEXCEL
- Antonia Adinolfi: @MissA_DBEXCEL
- Brandon Lewis: @Lewis_DBEXCEL
- Erica Gardner: @Gardner_DBEXCEL
- Jay Conkin: @Conkin_DBEXCEL
- Josh Mowell: @Mowell_DBEXCEL
- Leah Darnell: @Darnell_DBEXCEL
- Robin Kerkhoff: @KerkhoffDBEXCEL
- Sam McCord: @McCord_DBEXCEL
- Sara Shaffer: @Shaffer_DBEXCEL
- Vicky Livesay: @livesay_DBEXCEL
- MATE Team: @MATE_DBEXCEL
Pairing Codes for Canvas Parent Accounts
*If you already have an account from the Canvas Parent App, log in to Canvas using those credentials.
To observe a student, you must obtain a pairing code from your student. Students can generate a pairing code by signing into Canvas then Click Account>Settings>Pair with Observer.
To set up your parent account:
- Go to https://kingsport.instructure.com/login/canvas
Enter the following information:
-Enter your name in the Your Name field.
-Enter your email in the Your Email field.
-Enter your password in the Password field.
-Re-enter your password in the Re-enter Password field.
-Enter a pairing code to link your account to your student in the Student Pairing Code field.
-Click the Start Participating button.
To observe a student, you must have a student pairing code. Students can access the pairing code through their settings
- Click the Start Participating button.
Some notes on the pairing code:
For now, each pairing code will live for 24 hours. That means once the pairing code is generated, it will remain valid for 24 hours, then it expires.
Each pairing code can only be used once. Once it’s used in account registration, the pairing code expires and the observer remains successfully paired. If you want to pair two observers to one student, each observer needs a unique pairing code.
Want to learn more about Canvas?
Join the Parent Introduction to Canvas course!
(no need for an account - this course is open to the public!)
Click here to go to the Canvas login page. Click Browse courses. Choose the "Parent Introduction to Canvas" course.
DBE School Schedule
School Day: 7:45am - 2:30pm
Advisory 7:45am - 8:25am
A Block 8:30am - 9:45am
B Block 9:50am - 11:05am
C Block 11:10am - 1:05pm
D Block 1:10pm - 2:30pm
Dismissal: Beginning at 2:30pm
Bus riders will be dismissed at the 2:30pm bell.
Car riders and walkers will be dismissed as the bus leaves.
- Student drivers will be dismissed last.
*Advisory is a class and students will have tasks to complete during this period. Attendance will be taken in Advisory and absences can effect their ability to participate in school activities that have attendance requirements.*
Below you will find D-B's daily schedule. The first day of school they will have an extended homeroom period then starting on Tuesday they will operate on a regular schedule.