The Preschool Press
October 1, 2021
A Note From the Director
This week we had a wonderful visit from Chief Carner (AKA Miles' Dad!) who taught us about fire safety and showed us what a firefighter wears to fight fires. We released some more butterflies into the garden and pretended to be construction workers! It was a great week of learning and playing.
Fall Pictures will be taken on October 5th and 6th. You should have received an email this week with your child's assigned day. All students may wear free dress both Tuesday and Wednesday as we will be taking class photos on both days. Order forms with payment are due in the office by picture day.
We are now accepting applications for the 2022-23 school year. If you have a younger child at home or know someone interested in our preschool, please click HERE to complete an application. Current ECDC students do not need to apply for next year. Re-enrollment information for students returning to ECDC will go home in January.
The field at the big school playground will be closed from Wednesday, October 6th through the morning of Friday, October 8th for the Holy Smokes Cigar Dinner.
Next Week at a Glance
Owl Farmer Breakfast
Picture Day-Free Dress
Picture Day-Free Dress
Otter Farmer Breakfast
Frog Farmer Breakfast
Auction Donation Day
Trunk or Treat
Trunk or Treat is a beloved Marquette tradition, where parents decorate and open their trunks to the cutest trick-or treaters around! It’s a great way to see friends, get to know families, and trick or treat in a safe environment.
Trunk or Treat will be Sunday October 24th from 2-3:30 in the ECDC parking lot.
We are looking for 18 trunks this year. If you are interested in doing a trunk: Trunk set up starts at 1pm and you must stay until 4pm that day. Each trunk should be decorated (to what extent is up to you) and you should plan on providing candy or treats (we recommend at least 10 bags) and will supplement each trunk with several bags as well. If you need electricity please note in your signup-we just need to know ahead of time.
If you cannot commit to a trunk there are slots to donate bags of candy and water as well. We look forward to a fun family event with you all!
For trunk sign up and donations sign up here:
Liturngical Living Committee News
Supporting the Auction
Hello Marquette Families!
You are officially invited to the Marquette Home and School (MHSA) Annual Auction!
The in-person return of the school's largest fundraiser will take place on November 12 in the ECDC parking lot in a climate controlled tent. This year's theme is, "Baby It's Cold Outside."
Thanks to your tremendous support for last year's virtual auction, we were able to raise the remaining funds necessary for the playground renovation project that was completed earlier this Fall. This year our objective is to raise funds for future classroom renovations, as well as to support all the activities MHSA provides for our students and staff throughout the year.
Every year the ECDC makes two specific contributions to the auction.
- Garden Deva Art: The first is a piece of metal artwork from Garden Deva. The funds you donated last month to the ECDC classes was used to purchase the artwork. The metal piece will be hand painted by every single ECDC student. This art project is bid upon during the live auction and typically raises a significant amount of funds for the school.
- Wine Pull: A second contribution involves providing bottles of wine for the Wine Pull which takes place during the auction. We are asking ECDC parents, if they are able, to please drop off bottles of wine any day between now and Monday, November 8th. PLEASE MAKE SURE EACH BOTTLE OF WINE IS AT LEAST $20 IN VALUE. You may drop off wine at arrival or dismissal at the ECDC. If you are able to contribute, then your child is allowed to wear “athletic dress” the day you make your wine donation. (Athletic dress is the same as a free dress at ECDC.)
Of course other donations are always welcome too! If you have access to goods, services, gift cards, etc. you may drop them at the school entrance on the following days:
- October 8
- October 22
- October 29
All items donated are tax deductible and greatly appreciated. If you are able to donate, your Marquette/ECDC student is allowed to wear “athletic dress” on that donation drop-off day.
If you have questions about donations or have something large to donate to the auction, please contact Kayley Nammari (firstname.lastname@example.org | (713)540-4322) or Paula Dunkel (email@example.com | (918)706-0003. Additionally, to keep up with the latest information visit our Facebook page or follow us on Instagram.
As Marquette's largest fundraiser of the year, we hope you will consider taking part in a fun-filled night on campus under the stars in our BIG tent.
New Family Ministry Launch
At the Parish of Christ the King, we aim to equip our families to build their domestic church by learning how to pray and live out their faith together. "Growing in Grace" is a new family ministry that will help our families learn how to live in the rhythm of the Church and further enhance their faith life through everyday
This ministry will be held on the first Sunday of every month between the 9:15 and 11:15 a.m. Mass and will be led by Family Ministry Coordinator Sarah Seck and Director of Mission and Faith Formation Caitlyn Gonya. Parents and children will attend the session together. While all families are welcome to attend, the curriculum is designed for families with children in kindergarten through 5th grade.
Prior to the launch of this new ministry, we encourage families to join us for an informational session on one of the dates listed below (not required). "Growing in Grace" will officially launch on Sunday, Nov. 7.
- Sunday, Oct. 3: 10:15 a.m. in Fletcher Hall
- Tuesday, Oct. 6: 8:15 a.m. in Fletcher Hall (following Marquette drop off)
- Tuesday, Oct. 6: 6:30 p.m. in Fletcher Hall
There is no fee to join this ministry, but in order to better prepare we encourage registration. Families only need to register once, not every month. A prayer journal, food and prayer candle will be included. Click on the picture below to register.
Volunteering and VIRTUS
What you need to do:
- First, VIRTUS Child & Youth Protection Requirements have three components: 1.) the background check submission 2.) adherence to policies, procedures, and ethical standards, and 3.) the child & youth protection education training. Each component needs to be renewed every five years.
- Registration for First-time Users:
- Visit www.virtusonline.org.
- Select “First-Time Registrant” to create an online VIRTUS account.
- Follow the onscreen step-by-step instructions for completing the process. We require all volunteers to start this process no later than two week before the date of volunteering.
- Update Existing Account:
- Registered volunteers are encouraged to login at the beginning of every school year to ensure that all personal information is correct. Upon login, your account will prompt you to complete any necessary requirements. Automated emails are sent through VIRTUS approximately one week before they expire. Please ensure that the registered email address is correct.
Join Fr. Elkin as he kicks off his Fall Spirituality Series on Saturday, Sept. 18. It will be a morning of prayer, study, and recollection as he discusses "The Holy Spirit, the Great Unknown." The morning begins with breakfast at 8:30 a.m. The program will follow from 9 a.m. to noon in Fletcher Hall.
This is a free event, and childcare will be provided.
The annual Parish Picnic is scheduled for Sunday, Oct. 3, from 4 to 7 p.m. on 16th street (closed off between Quincy and Rockford). This event is free and provides a great chance to enjoy good food and fellowship as a community. Additionally, there will be a pet blessing on the playground at 4:30 p.m. and the Marquette 8th graders will be selling drinks and hosting a bake sale--please bring cash.
No RSVP is required for this event, just come and enjoy!
Holy Smokes Cigar Dinner
Tulsa Rosary Rally
The 5th Annual Tulsa Rosary Rally and Run are coming soon. Mark your calendars to join us on Saturday, October 23, 8:00 am at the Gardens at LaFortune Park. We can’t wait to gather in praying the rosary, seeking Our Lady’s intercessions for the many needs on our hearts. Events include an outdoor Mass, rosary-themed 5k run, rosary walk, and capped off with the popular Rosary Relay. Get all the details and sign up to attend at https://tulsarosaryrally.com/
2021-2022 Marquette School Theme
“Joy, with peace, is the sister of charity. Serve the Lord with laughter.”
– SAINT PADRE PIO
Marquette Saint of the Year-St. Joseph
Christ Care Day
Join with other parishioners in serving our parish AND the community on Saturday, Sept. 11, during Christ Care Day. All families are invited to participate in this outdoor event. With various age-appropriate tasks and the nursery, it is a family affair.
Our day starts with Mass at 8 a.m. (optional) in the church followed by grab-and-go breakfast in the Marquette Cafeteria (optional) and then three hours of service on campus from 9 a.m. to noon. Participants will sign up for the service project of their choice at check-in. Service projects include:
- Campus plantings/landscaping for fall
- (location: all over campus)
- Cardmaking (arts & crafts for kids)
- (location: Porte-cochere)
- PB&J Making Station
- (location: Porte-cochere)
Childcare will be provided. Registration is required. Middle Schoolers may receive service hours