Sunday's Thoughts

January 28, 2018

March of Dimes

Our district is participating in raising money for March of Dimes. This is such a worthy cause! For $10, you can purchase a coupon to wear jeans for babies for an entire week. In addition, there is a March of Dimes walk on April 28th. I would love for us to have a team for this walk. Reggie will have the coupons if you would like to purchase one and help babies. If you would like to join me in the walk for babies on April 28th, please let me know.

Reading All-Stars

The Reading All-Stars program will kick off February 12th. To participate in this program, students read 5 books. Students who qualify will receive a ticket to the Greenville Drive game, a t-shirt, and a book. In addition, they will be able to participate in a parade/meet the player pre-game event. Katie will be discussing this with students, but help us to encourage students to participate. The celebration game will be April 29th at 4:00.

The Blessing Box

We are going to begin a Blessing Box at our school for our students. We hope to use this as another way to encourage kindness, sharing, and a servant spirit. Rather than use the Blessing Box for parents, we want our students to look for ways that other students need a blessing while here at school.

We met with House Council Friday and explained the Blessing Box. The Blessing Box is a place for students to take what they need, but to also leave what they can. We asked House Council to give us ideas as to what our students may need while here at school. Their ideas included:

*Water bottles

*Encouraging notes

*Pencils

*Paper

*Bookbags

*Homework folders

*Tissues

*Snacks

*Cough Drops (?)

*Hair bands and pony tail holders

*Socks

We are in the process of working out the details, but hope to get it up and running within the next two weeks. If you have ideas of what to include, please let us know. :-)

Big image

Golden Feathers

Contiinue to give students golden feathers for demonstrating our Colt Customs. We focused on #6 - Be prepared and organized everyday by bringing all necessary materials and completing all assignments and #9 - Cheer for others and celebrate their successes last week. We are moving to #2- Always say yes ma'am, no ma'am, yes sir, and no sir and #11- Be a friend to get a friend. We will remind students daily of these customs in preparation to find our Custom Keepers in the weeks to come.

#oneword2018

If you would like to participate in #oneword2018, please let me know what your word is by Wednesday of this week.

Stay the Course

We have talked many times about how difficult January, February, and March tend to be in this field. I encourage you to stay the course, keep pushing, find ways to connect with eachother and your students, and to think outside the box. Many of our students seem unmotivated at times and don't feel the sense of urgency that we feel. While it is difficult to motivate the unmotivated at times, we never give up and keep trying to find the answer.

One idea is to change up how you are doing things. Take your lesson outside if it is a pretty day, go to two recesses rather than one 25 minute recess to see if students respond better after a morning and afternoon break, create a culminating activity on a Friday which takes standards you have been teaching and allows students to practice them in a way that involves movement and hands-on activities. Let's be listening ears, problem solvers, idea gatherers, and motivators for each other as we work to educate our kids every day. :-)

Big image

Upcoming dates:

Jan. 31st: Charlotte's Web (Katie sent out the schedule.)

Feb. 2nd: ESOL Pizza Party (Testing begins Feb. 5th.)

Feb. 5th: AXA Advisors will be here if you are interested in talking with them from 12:30-3:30.

Feb. 5th: TDA training for 3rd and 4th grade teachers

Feb. 7th: TDA training for 5th grade teachers

Feb. 9th: Teacher of the Year meeting with Mr. Havird in the library beginning at 8:30.

Feb. 14th: Reading coaches visiting classrooms

Feb. 15th: Spring pictures

Feb. 19th: Comp day

My Little Library

We now have a My Little Library in the front of our school. This is a place for parents and students to take a book and leave a book. There are books for all ages in our Little Library. If you haven't seen it, check it out! If you have books that you would like to donate to be placed in our Little Library, please bring them to my office. We hope to include lots of really good books in our library. :-)