Mrs. Ralston's Grade One Newsletter
Important Upcoming Dates
- Friday, Oct. 14 - 11:40 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack); Subway Hot Lunch forms due.
- Wednesday, Oct. 19 - School photo forms due
- Friday, Oct. 21 - PD Day, no school for students
- Friday, Oct. 28 - 11:40 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack).
- Monday, Oct. 31 - Halloween!
BUDDY BOOKS: Thank you for getting our Buddy Book program off to a terrific start! I enjoy being able to hear the students read everyday! Marking their reading daily on their "Communication Log" page is a big help when comparing notes. I spend time at the end of each week reviewing my notes, as well as yours to then decide if your child is ready to move up to the next level. Remember to encourage them to use their first three strategies on their bookmark while reading if they get stuck on a word!
DRESS FOR THE WEATHER: Please ensure your child is now coming to school with mittens, toques and proper outside footwear. Being warm makes their recesses more enjoyable!
WORD SORTS: Every Friday you will notice your child come home with a little baggies for sorting. We call these our word sorts and we are currently learning and training with them daily. We spend 5-10 minutes with our sorts every morning, playing games. Eventually each student will have a sort differentiated to their current level or area of practice. The students love doing their sorts and would love to teach you some games with them. Here are some suggested Word Sort Activities....
· Timed Sort: Do a “speed” sort with your child. Have your child mix up the cards and sort them as quickly as possible, you can time them if you desire. Usually about 1-3 minutes.
· Out Loud Sort: Have your child read the words/pictures back to you saying the key heading and the word/letter each time, do not time this sort. If your child forgets to say a word/picture or a heading out loud you can remix up their words and start over…they love this game!!
· No Peeking Game: First, layout the headings for the sort. Then, mix the word/picture cards and say the word without showing the card to your child. Have your child choose the right category by pointing to the correct heading or naming the key word/letter/sound in the heading that shares the same characteristic.
· Mix & Fix Game: Have your child sort their words/pictures according to the headings. Then, while they are not looking, mix up two or more of the words/pictures into the wrong categories. Then have your child try to find the mistakes.
1) This week we were introduced to 2 new characters who will help us remember the letters and sounds that we need for reading and spelling. Have your child tell you one thing they remember about Baby Barnaby and Gresilda Green. Then have them tell you what sounds those two characters like the best, and what letter or letter combinations represent those sounds. Baby Barnaby (B, b, bb) and Gresilda Green (G, g, gg,).
2) Our new sight word of the week is "was". We have been dancing our hands whenever we see this word in our reading.
3) Read to Partner: The students have been working hard this week on their read to partner stamina. We read our Buddy Books to a partner every day in our classroom. We practice respectful reading and listening. Have your child teach you some of our read to someone expectations.