Mary Edwards Walker
By: Iyanah Stewart
Challenges and Obstacles
- Mary is the only woman to receive the medal of honor
- During the Civil War, Mary Walker was the only woman out of 1.8 million to earn the Medal of Honor
- Mary married a physician named Albert Miller but kept her maiden name
- She graduated with a Doctor of Medicine Degree in 1855
- During the Civil War in 1863, Mary was appointed assistant surgeon in the Army of the Cumberland by General George H. (he was one of the principle commanders in the Civil War's Western Theater)
"Mary Walker." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television. Web. 10 Dec. 2015.
"Mary Edwards Walker." Encyclopedia of World Biography. 2004, and "Walker, Mary Edwards." The Columbia Encyclopedia, 6th Ed.. 2015. "Mary Edwards Walker." Encyclopedia.com. HighBeam Research, 2004. Web. 10 Dec. 2015.
"Changing the Face of Medicine | Dr. Mary Edwards Walker." U.S National Library of Medicine. U.S. National Library of Medicine. Web. 10 Dec. 2015.