Countdown to Writing STAAR
Intentional Instruction Leading up to Writing Assessments
February 9, 2019 / Saturday Virtual Seminar
9:00am to 12:00pm CST
Engaging Students in Purposeful Practice
Be a part of a seminar that will rejuvenate your instruction in the months leading up to state testing! Learn ways to employ students in the practice of using executive skills, grammar strategies, and non-formulaic writing. You will discover how to differentiate for your students and naturally engage them in rigorous writing tasks. Educators will focus on how to plan strategically for the desired student outcomes using success criteria and learning targets. Educators will also gain ideas for goal setting and monitoring, collaborative writing tasks, discussion circles, and much more!
Benefits of Attending
- Learn effective goal setting & monitoring techniques.
- Plan for intentional practice by having students spend time practicing tasks directly tied to the TEKS assessments.
- Walk away with intentional writing practice techniques that spark creativity.
- Integrate collaborative discussions into your instruction to give students new ideas for their writing.
- Learn ways to teach author's craft and how to get students to craft their writing.
- Discuss scoring techniques and how to coach student writing to 3's & 4's.
- See ways to effectively teach grammar skills in authentic settings.
- Learn motivation techniques to get your most reluctant writer's writing!
- Plan for interventions that coach students forward.
- And much more!
Interested in Bringing This Training to Your District?
Meet the Trainers
Randi Anderson is an elementary educator, blogger, and staff developer with almost 10 years of experience. She taught third and fourth grade in title one schools in the Fort Worth area. Before entering the classroom, Randi studied early childhood education and English as a second language at The University of Texas at Austin. She has a strong passion for making reading and writing authentic and engaging for her students.
Online Participant Testimonials!
"It was a great interactive experience. I love being able to follow along and ask questions or make comments as needed. The instructors were knowledgeable and shared so many ideas. It was nice to have facilitators who know the struggles we face in our classrooms and who give us ideas we can implement immediately to overcome those barriers. " -Nelda
"Great job overall! I enjoyed that we weren't given a binder with pages to flip through. It was a smooth process following along with the presentation." - Daniel
"I thought everything was planned really well and the ideas were great!" - Kelly L.
"This was a great way to provide information to us and allow for asking questions about the different ideas you were presenting." - Karen
$99 Per Participant
We offer group discounts! Please contact for more info.
Register for Countdown to Writing + Reading STAAR for a discount price of $159 per person!
3 Hours of Professional Development Credit Will Be Awarded
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR REGISTRATION FORM AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. EVEN IF IT IS AHEAD OF YOUR PAYMENT. This will let us know to reserve you a seat for the training in the event we have a sold out event.
You can register by Calling or Emailing your registration form in.
To pay by credit card, call our office at (817) 583-1290. We will send you a link to pay your registration fee online through our billing system. Credit Card payments must be received before the date of the seminar to receive the official link the the training.
To pay by purchase order, submit your district PO by email or fax. Please make PO's payable to Kelly Harmon & Associates. Purchase Orders must be received before the date of the seminar to receive the official link to the training. Please contact us if you require a W9 form.
To pay by check, please make checks payable to Kelly Harmon & Associates and mail to 374 Lantana Crossing Spring Branch, TX 78070. Checks must be received before the date of the seminar to receive the official link to the training.
Call (817) 583-1290
For more Information Please contact us!
Countdown to ELAR STAAR Workshop
Saturday, Feb. 9th, 9am
This is an online event.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Check Out Kelly Harmon's Book on Practice!
Kelly Harmon & Robert Marzano teamed up to write Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes. The book is part of the Essentials for Achieving Rigor Series.
Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes: Classroom Techniques to Help Students Develop Proficiency explores explicit techniques for mastering this crucial strategy of instructional practice. It includes:
- Explicit steps for implementation
- Recommendations for monitoring students’ ability to develop fluent thinking
- Adaptations for students who struggle, have special needs, or excel in learning
- Examples and non-examples from classroom practice
- Common mistakes and ways to avoid them