Ms. Larrabee's 1st Grade Class
The Buzz This Week (1/4 - 1/8)
Writing: We'll begin a new unit this week as we start to learn how to write informational pieces. We're pairing our studies in reading with writing, as we will be reading and writing non-fiction pieces.
Reading: This week will continue to learn about different features in non-fiction texts.
Word Work: Our studies in vocabulary will be with the long vowel sounds "o" and "i" in words like joke and lime. The new sight words we'll be practicing include: get, jump, little, girl, ball.
Social Studies: We'll continue with our studies in Geography this week. The kids will continue to learn about their place on the map, cardinal directions and how to make a map.
Math: The beginning of the week will consist of reviewing our shapes and fractions of shapes. We'll finish off the week by starting a new unit of measurement and place value strategies. This unit will also include two-digit addition as we'll add various measurements together.
"Buzz Worthy" Things to Look Out For...
- Keysor is no longer sending home paper copies of our lunch menu. You can find an electronic copy online at: http://www.kirkwoodschools.org/pages/Kirkwood_School_District/Departments/Food_Service_Operations. Please let me know if you would like an emailed PDF version of the menu as well.
- Author Kate Klise is visiting Keysor on January 28th. Book order forms are due Friday, January 8th.
- Be looking for a brief letter and sign up sheet for parent-teacher conferences this week. These letters are due Monday, January 11th.
- Grade cards and parent-teacher conference schedules will be sent home Wednesday, January 12th.
- Friday, January 8th is First Fridays for the month of January. I hope to see you there!
- Monday, January 11th is Keysor Night at Billy G's restaurant.
Before winter break, Ms. Gatcombe came to do a lesson with the students about Kwanzaa. She read a book about Kwanzaa, taught them a dance and they made Kwanzaa necklaces. It was fun to learn about another culture's traditions!
The kids had fun making a reindeer craft from their hands and feet. They also wrote a reindeer application explaining why they would be a good reindeer for Santa.
We visited Keysor's Makers Space for the first time before break. The students got to experience and learn about the different stations as they tinkered, explored, created, and built! My hope is to visit the Makers Space every two weeks throughout the rest of the year.
| || |
We had the pleasure of visiting Mrs. Wellman's second grade class for Econ City. The second graders had been busy studying economics and created 'stores' where they could share various goods and services with our kids.
| || |
Thank you so very much to all of our families for their hard work and support with our winter break party on December 18th! The kids had a great time decorating and eating cookies, making reindeer hot chocolate and playing holiday BINGO! I cannot thank you enough for your help in planning and executing this special event in our children's 1st grade experience!
| || |