Week ending January 5
Virtual BOE Budget Meetings
The BOE budget meetings will be virtual and begin at 6:00 on January 16, 18 and 30th. In my budget request, I have asked for a full time guidance counselor or a part time social worker, to be able to keep 4 sections of each grade level so that class sizes remain under 30 and 4 full time special area teachers like we have now.
At the BOE meeting on January 24th at 7:00, there is a public comment portion of the meeting in which any parent or staff can speak.
I have attached the link below to watch the meetings live-
Please reach out with any questions you may have-Mrs. Weber
All weather related announcements will be posted on the Shelton Public Schools website as well as on social media. Please do not call the schools asking if we are dismissing early-we need to keep the phone lines clear.
If there is a delayed opening, buses will arrive 2 or 3 hours later (depending on what kind of delayed opening was called) than their usual morning pick up time. The school building will NOT open for students prior to 10:45 with a 2 hour delay or 11:45 with a 3 hour delay (unless you are a registered member of the Boys and Girls club)-there are no exceptions to this.
There is NO BREAKFAST on delayed opening days
All students must bring a change of shoes if they come to school in snow/rain boots. We will call you to bring them in if they do not have any.
Posters to help all our learners with feelings and behaviors
All classes had discussions on feelings, what you can do when you feel that way, and what are acceptable/non acceptable behaviors
Calling All Heritages!
Parents/Families: Do you remember a game from your childhood? From your heritage or country? A fun activity for kids?? We invite you to share with the students at ESS! Our school is planning a day of fun for February 29, 2024!!
Let us know if you have a game/activity to share with your child's class or grade level. We are looking for volunteers to come to school and teach us FUN in a unique way
Click on the link here to sign up-https://forms.gle/bMTpLhqp81eYtFZw6
VORS Focus for Janaury-Review of Flexibility, Teamwork and Initiative
I can show initative, be flexible and be a good team member everyday
This week's news:
This week we spent a lot of time reviewing rules and expectations. Please reinforce and review expectations at home. Next week we will begin our January testing-I am looking forward to seeing all the progress from September.
I hope you had a wonderful holiday. Thank you to all who remembered me at Christmas-I so appreciate you thinking of me
Have a great weekend-I hope those reading circles get filled it!
- Please remind your child about expected behaviors on the bus and at school. Students are needing many reminders about speaking nicely to one another as well as toward staff members. If a behavior referral is sent home, please review it with your child. Have a strong home/school connections is so important. Thank you for your help with this.
We have designated visitor parking in front of the school. Please use those spaces when you come to school. Parking is not allowed at any time in the fire lanes or in front of the school after 3:00 when buses begin to arrive
- The students are continuing to work hard each day. I am so impressed with the progress both academically and behaviorally-keep up the good work!
- Please be sure you send your child dressed for outdoor recess each day-we will go outside for recess each day unless it is actively raining or snowing. If your child comes to school without a coat, there are many available in the lost and found for them to put on
- If you send your child to school in rain or snow boots, they must have a change of shoes with them. Those boots are very warm and bulky to wear all day long
- Please be sure your child finishes any donuts/breakfast foods, coffees or Starbucks drinks prior to arriving at school. We have so many allergies in classrooms-we need to keep everyone safe-thank you
- We are continuing to have a problem with parent drop off and pick up parking. You may NOT park in the fire lanes-it is a hazard. Also you may NOT move the cones that are set up to prevent access. The police have noticed and mentioned that they may be ticketing cars if the practice continues-this is for the safety of all involved
Please be sure your child is in school appropriate footwear-crocs are super cute but not practical for the playground.
- Spirit days are fun ways to unite as a school. They are optional and if you do not want your child to participate, that is completely fine. The schedule for the year is attached below
- Just a reminder that any medications must be brought to ESS by an adult. Students are not allowed to have medications in their backpacks at any time
- If your child is arriving in the morning after the doors are closed, please do not just drop your child and drive away. Please walk your child to the front door and ring the bell and we will escort them to their classroom
As stated in the rules/expectations that were sent out and are also linked below please remember that
- Student cell phones and smart watches must remain in backpacks in the off position during the school day. Students are not allowed to use these devices while at school. If your child contacts you during the day, please call the office instead of responding.
- Be sure to label all student items including jackets, sweatshirts, water bottles and lunch boxes. We have an overflowing lost and found collection each year. Anything left at the end of the year will be donated
- We have designated visitor parking in front of the school. Please use those spaces when you come to school. Parking is not allowed at any time in the fire lanes or in front of the school after 3:00 when buses begin to arrive .
- Law Enforcement Appreciation Day
- Sports Jersey Day
- Early Dismissal Day
- No School-MLK Day
- PTO Meeting-6:30
- Camo day
Sign up to Volunteer in the Media Center
ESS Library Media Center Volunteer Form
Dear Parents and Guardians, My name is Mrs. Bush, and I am the Library Media Specialist at Elizabeth Shelton School. I am looking for volunteers to help out in the Library Media Center. Your help will ensure that our LMC is the best it can be for your child and all of our students.
- Please be sure you have read and have familiarized yourself with all the rules/expectations at ESS-especially about morning arrival and afternoon dismissal https://www.smore.com/app/pages/preview/mh5j6
- Link to our school website which contains lots of information-http://elizabethshelton.sheltonpublicschools.org/home_page
ESS PTO Updates: What You Need to Know!
Hello ESS Families, Happy New Year!
We hope you had a wonderful holiday season!
There are also some fun PTO sponsored events coming up in 2024 that we want to make sure everyone has on their calendars:
- BPT Islanders - (Saturday Jan 20th) 7pm game: Enjoy a night of hockey with Elizabeth Shelton School! You've been invited to The Islanders on Saturday Jan 20th 7:00 PM EST at Total Mortgage Arena in Bridgeport. The purchase deadline for this event is Jan 20, 2024 at 6:00 PM EST. Get tickets to the jersey raffle in the arena concourse and send the proceeds to ESS! Get Tickets Here: fevo-enterprise.com/event/ESS
- Murder Mystery at Caloroso - (Thursday Feb 8th) Time TBD – Additional details coming soon
- VIP & Me Dance at ESS - (Friday March 1st) 5:30-7:30pm
- Duck Pin Bowling - (Friday April 19th) Time TBD – Additional details coming soon
- Quassy Family Night - (Friday May 10th) beginning at 4:30pm – Rain Date TBD
- Staff/Teacher Appreciation Week at ESS - (May 6th – 10th)
- Spring Book Fair at ESS – Date TBD
- Plant Sale at ESS – (Thursday May 9th and Friday May 10th )
- End of Year Party at ESS – (Friday June 7th) 5:30 – 7:30pm
NEXT PTO MEETING THURSDAY JAN 18th (6:30pm – ESS Cafeteria)
We hope to see you there!
For questions or additional information please reach out to:
Thank you for your support!
The ESS PTO