The Giver Government
This government tries to create a perfect society by making all decisions for the people that live here.
Can this type of government last and will it succeed?
Longevity of government
· strengths –
o fewer people involved in making decisions
· weakness –
o few people in charge
o too much power between a few people
In The Giver this type of government did not succeed. When Jonas started to get memories he began to rebel against the government. He tried to get other so to join in this rebellion. People started to not trust the government.
The Giver Branches of Government
- leader is the Chief Elder - he has all the power
- Chief is chosen every 10 years
- Chief is in charge of the Committee of Elder
- Committee of Elders
- they are chosen
- their role is to watch the adults and children at all times and they decide what to give them for assignments (jobs) and who they are going to marry and assign children to them
- receive guidance from "the giver" if they have questions about things that are new or unfamiliar they seek
- Department of Justice
- You are given three chances once you commit a third offense you are “released” – given a shot in the head and you die