By: Gideon Easley
Woodrow Wilson and Winston Churchill
1. What caused the U.S. to enter WWI? 2. How did Texas play an important role during the war?3. How did WWI end?
2. During the war, more than 1,500,000 military personnel came to Texas for training.
3. Germany had formally surrendered on November 11, 1918, and all nations had agreed to stop fighting while the terms of peace were negotiated.
1. How did FDR, pull the country out of depression? 2. What caused the Dust Bowl and how did it affect farmers in Texas? 3. Which New Deal programs were important to Texas. 4. How were tenant farmers and miners affected by the Great Depression?
2. It dried up all the food they had.
3. As economic conditions got worse during Herbert Hoover’s presidency, people began blaming him for the ongoing suffering. People who lost their homes gathered in temporary shelters made of tents or scrap material.
4. Almost 60 percent of Texans lived in rural areas in 1930, but only about 2 percent of farms in the state had electricity. To improve farm life and productivity, the New Deal helped farmers form cooperatives that could borrow money to bring electricity to an area.
1. How did Texas contribute to the nation’s military effort in fighting World War II? 2. How did life changed for Texans on the home front during World War II? 3. How did WWII end?
2. With so many Texans in the military service and wartime industries booming, a huge demand for workers developed. Between 1940 and 1943, some 500,000 rural Texans moved to cities to work in the factories. Thousands of Americans living in other states moved to Texas, as well.
4. They celebrated