Buckingham Elementary School
The Mighty Knight Connection - March 2013 - Issue 6
Information & Upcoming Events
- Mar. 17 - St. Patrick's Day (Sunday)
- Mar. 18-22 - Scholastic's Spring Book Fair - Library
- Mar. 20 - PTO General Meeting - Featuring Mr. Jason Bucher, Holicong Principal
- Mar. 20 - Book Fair Family Night - 6:00PM-8:00PM - Library
- Mar. 22 - Early Dismissal - 12:10PM (PM KDG attends in morning ONLY)
- Mar. 22 - Buckingham Day at Chuck-E-Cheese, Warrington - PTO
- Mar. 25 - Passover Begins (Sundown through 4/2)
- Mar. 26 - Annual IOC Drill Schoolwide (PM)
- Mar. 26 - iRun-4-Life Training Begins - Registered Students Only
- Mar. 28 - NO SCHOOL for Students - Spring Portfolio Conferences - By Appointment
- Mar. 29 - NO SCHOOL - All Schools Closed on Good Friday
- Mar. 31 - Easter
- Apr. 1 - CALENDAR UPDATE: School Resumes Grades 1-6
- Apr. 1&2 - CALENDAR UPDATE: No Kindergarten/KDG Parent Conferences - By Appointment
- Apr. 3 - CALENDAR UPDATE: School Resumes Normal Schedule
- Apr. 4 - Spirit Assembly - African Drum & Dance (Students Only)
- Apr. 4 - Buckingham Art Expo - Evening Event - 6:30PM-8:00PM
- Apr. 8-15 - PSSA Reading/Math - Grades 3-6
- Apr. 9 - CBSD School Board Meeting - Educational Services Center - 7:30PM
- Apr. 10 - United Way: Operation Helping Hand Food Drive
- Apr. 12 - End of 3rd Marking Period (No Report Card)
- Apr. 18 - Annual Evacuation Drill Schoolwide (AM)
- Apr. 19 - Young Authors Visit - Kay Winters
- Apr. 19 - Mighty Knight at the Movies - Cafeteria - 6:30PM
- Apr. 22-23 - PSSA Science - Grade 4
- Apr. 22-23 - 5th Grade Ropes Course - (Rescheduled from Fall Hurrricane)
- Apr. 23 - CBSD School Board Meeting - Educational Services Center - 7:30PM
- Apr. 24 - Administrative Assistant Day
- Apr. 26 - Buckingham Science Fair (Drop Off) - 2:00PM-4:00PM - Gym Foyer
- Apr. 29-30 - Science Fair (Evening Event - April 29th)
Buckingham PSSA Schedule - IMPORTANT CALENDAR DATES
Grades 3-6 2013 PSSA Schedule
PSSA Writing - 5th Grade - Complete
April 8-15 - Grades 3-6 Reading & Math Assessments
April 22 & 23 - 4th Grade Science Assessment
Please review the school's Parent Letter by clicking here.
Please visit District Website to see PSSA Parent Information by clicking here.
Important Health Room Updates
The District recently updated important procedural policies regarding the following:
If your child sustains an injury and needs accommodations to their educational programming -or- requires a wheel-chair/crutches - a physician’s note must be on file with our school nurse.
Gym Excuse Notes:
One-time only - If your child sustains a minor injury and you do not feel that they can participate in gym class that day, you may send in a note to the main office/gym teacher, requesting that your child be excused from gym that day.
Subsequent Weeks - If the injury requires that your child cannot participate in gym over time, then a physician’s excuse note is required.
We count on parents to inform the School/Nurse's Office of any changes in your child’s health status (surgeries, sprains, fractures, illnesses, medication changes, etc.) during the school year. When notifying your child’s teacher with any health related concerns, please also notify our certified school nurse, Randi Semanoff at firstname.lastname@example.org. This helps to ensure continuity of care and allows us to better attend to your child’s needs during the school day.
All forms can be accessed from the Nurse's page on the Buckingham Website.
Buckingham Scholastic Book Fair
Students will be joinging us Monday, March 18th through Friday, March 22nd for a fun-filled Science-Themed Book Fair!
FAIR HOURS: Monday – Thursday 8:30am – 4:00pm, Friday 8:30am - 1:00pm
Family Night: Wednesday 6:00pm – 8:00pm
Students will get two opportunities to visit the Book Fair with their homerooms during scheduled visiting hours. The first gives them the opportunity to browse the fair and create a book wish-list. At the second visit, students may buy their selections. We can accept: cash, checks or credit. Please make sure all checks are payable to: Buckingham Elementary PTO.
Buckingham General PTO Meeting - March 20 - 9:30AM
Student Artwork On-Display at YogurTree
Each year, various artwork from the students of Central Bucks Schools are chosen to be displayed in the community in honor of March being “Youth Art Month”.
Youth Art Month is a month of promoting art and art education in the United States. It is observed in March, with thousands of American schools participating, often with the involvement of local art museums and civic organizations.
Buckingham and Titus Elementary students’ artwork are on display at the “yogurtree”, in the Barn Shopping Plaza, (between Marshall’s and Kohl’s-Route 611) for the month of March, 2013.
- Ms. Fein
Visit the Buckingham Art Expo!
The Buckingham Elementary Art Expo is being held on Thursday, April 4th, from 6:30PM-8:00PM.
The courses of study contained within the District’s Elementary Art Curriculum in grades 1-6 have a Disciplined-Based Art Education (DBAE) structure. The disciplines of Art Production, Art History, Art Criticism, and Aesthetics/Philosophy are the four unifying strands in all art courses.
Viewing the exceptional student artwork created by your child allows the observer to see works that display a level of skill, developmental maturity, and personal expression. It also allows others to respond, reflect, analyze and discuss what has been created - fostering a deeper understanding and appreciation of why one creates in the first place.
We hope you can join us on April 4th!
Operation Helping Hand - April 10, 2013
Buckingham Science Fair - Apr. 29th & 30th
Students - if you are interested in joining the science fair this spring, be sure your registration is in by April 5th! (Click Here for registration form and important information)
Buckingham Students Support the Roxy Reading Therapy Dog Program
Buckingham Jump Rope for Heart - A "Leaping" Success!
Buckingham participated in the American Red Cross's annual Jump Rope for Heart initiative the week of February 11th, 2013. During Physical Education Class with Mr. Durie, students would participate in a variety of Jump Rope challenges - in addition to learning about maintaining a strong, healthy heart. As a school, we raised an amazing $1,665 to help the Red Cross. Thank you to every student who participated and for the Buckingham Community's generosity. CLICK HERE to view video of the challenges students participated in during Jump Rope Week!
Virtual Field Trip to Cleveland Museum of Natural History
Buckingham’s 6th Grade virtually visited the Cleveland Museum of Natural History in March. They were able to interact and make careful observations about various igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic rocks. Many minerals, such as Calcite, Talc, Copper, and Quartz were explored as well. Rocks and Minerals: It’s NOT “hard” science!
Rock and mineral kits were sent from the Cleveland Museum for a hands-on experience.
Our Museum Guide and her sidekick in Cleveland, OH pose for a candid.
A careful examination of rocks and minerals.
Buckingham Spirit Assembly - The Magic of Physics
Buckingham PTO Family Fun St. Patty's BINGO Night
At Buckingham, Manners Make a Difference!
At Buckingham, ongoing efforts continue to help improve school climate and positive pro-social skills with our “Manners Make a Difference.” Below, several recent Focus Manners were introduced for students to help others in positive ways:
- As you walk through a door, look to see if you can hold it for someone else.
- When you make a mistake, admit it, make things right, and let it go.
- Before speaking - THINK - is it True, is it Kind, is it Necessary?
- When someone helps you, say "Thanks." Its polite and they will likely help you again.
Please be sure to ask your child about the new “Manners Make a Difference” each Monday!
CB Cares Boomerang Nominations
March: #28 Integrity -
Young person acts on his/her convictions and stands up for his/her beliefs
Students/Parents/Teachers, please nominate a Buckingham student by clicking here! In your paragraph, include how your nominee exemplifies this month’s asset. Nominations are due to Mr. Rosica by Mar. 25th.
CB School Board Briefs
At the March 12, 2013 School Board Meeting, the Central Bucks School District School Board:
1. Heard the Holicong Select String Ensemble performance before the school board meeting.
2. Heard the Superintendent’s State of the District presentation and the I.U. Board Committee Report.
3. Approved School Board Minutes.
4. Approved the Aramark Contract extension and the Water Tank Hydrostatic Coating Contract for Gayman Elementary School.
5. Approved School Board Policy 806 – Child Student Abuse.
6. Approved various personnel items, student trips, and staff workshops.
7. Received a Sabbatical Leave of Absence and the Board Calendar as information items.
Buckingham Elementary School
Buckingham, PA 18912-0158
Principal, Karl Funseth
Principal's Secretary, Janice Petrie