the PENN NEWSLETTER
We're all learning!
STUDENTS: It always seems like we go into warp speed after spring break. Students are taller and suddenly seem older. This is a fun season full of projects and field trips and opportunities to apply the year's learning.
TEACHERS: Today is Kindergarten Round-Up. We approach this as an "all hands on deck" event because we want the incoming students and parents to have a great experience. And it is fun to greet all those sweet young future panthers.
Teachers are also beginning the last round screening assessments.
Remember: NO SCHOOL today - Friday, April 20
Penn Night with the CR Kernels
Please join us for Penn Elementary night at the Cedar Rapids Kernels! This fun and exciting event will take place on Saturday, April 21st at 5:05 PM. Gates open at 4:00 PM, and the Kernels will take on the Kane County Cougars. It’s Star Wars Night, and the first 1,000 people through the gates will receive a Han Solo T-shirt. The Kernels players will be wearing special Star Wars jerseys that will be auctioned off during the game, and Star Wars characters will be roaming the concourse all night for photo ops. Tickets are just $8.00, a savings of $3.00 off the regular box office price. Tickets can be purchased online by using the special URL below: (This special link will be active until Friday, April 20th at Midnight. If you do not want to buy your tickets online, you may also purchase them by calling the Kernels ticket office at (319) 896-7560. Please select the special PENN area in section 114 when ordering online and over the phone.)
Marcos coupon fundraiser
This week your child will be bringing home a Marcos coupon fundraiser. The coupons will be $10.00 a sheet, which can be turned into your child's classroom teacher. If you choose not to participate please return the coupon sheet. If you would like more coupon sheets please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You may notice the coupons have an expiration date of 2017. Marcos is aware of this and will honor them for a year. The money earned will go to support the many activities and purchases the PTO makes to support our students. Thank you so much for all you do for Penn students.
Please send the money or card back by April 27th.
New 7th grade immunization requirements
Per Iowa law, 7th graders are required to have two immunizations prior to the start of the school year. These immunizations are Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis/whooping cough) and meningococcal (to prevent meningitis, a bacteria that infects the brain, blood and spinal cord). The meningococcal shot requirement started in 2017-18. The Tdap shot has been required since 2013-14. Some children will have already received these shots during their regular physical exams. Please check your child’s immunization record to find out if they had the Tdap booster and Meningitis shot. Please turn in the documentation to school if the shots were received.
According to the new meningococcal shot state law, students that have not received the immunization will not meet the mandatory immunization requirement and no grace period to catch-up will be given. (There is a short grace period for the Tdap shot however). Students may not be able to come to school on the first day of the 2018-19 school year if parents have not provided documentation that their child received the meningococcal shot. Parents should call their child’s health care provider now to make appointments for these immunizations. Johnson County Public Health also provides the immunizations at no cost to children with or without health insurance. Please call 319-356-6042 to make an appointment.
Feel free to contact the school nurse at your child’s elementary school if you have questions or need assistance getting the required immunizations.
"Pay to Ride" Bus Program
The Iowa City Community School District Transportation Department would like to notify you of the 2018-19 Pay to Ride Program.
The Program details are listed below:
- The program is provided on a space-available, time-available, first-come, first-served basis. Participation is limited according to capacity as determined by the District, and is available to students in grades K-12.
- The program is only available on existing bus routes and at existing stops. No additional routes and or stops will be considered for pay-to-ride students after the deadline.
- Buses provided specifically for special education students are not eligible for this program.
- Bus stop locations and times are assigned by Durham School Services.
- Availability of seats and location of bus stops is subject to change based on changes in enrollment, boundaries, and other factors determined by the District or Durham, and can occur at any time. When changes to routes or stops occur, families utilizing pay-to-ride busing will be notified at the same time that the families of eligible students are notified.
- Students must be picked up and dropped off at their assigned location only. Pick-up and drop-off must be at the same location.
- Requests for a change in a student’s bus stop will only be honored if the student’s address has changed.
- No guest students will be allowed to ride along with pay-to-ride students.
- All students riding the bus are subject to the rules and regulations of conduct and safety established by the District and Durham. The District and Durham use video cameras on school buses as a means to maintain a safe environment for students and staff.
- Refunds will be granted for any unused full trimester purchased for the current school year.
- No refunds or rate adjustments will be made for days buses cannot operate because of weather or other circumstances beyond the control of Durham or the District.
- Payments can be made online via the District’s website or by mailing a check. Fee is charged on a per year basis.
Payment and Fees for Service
- Pay-to-ride fee is:
- $432 per student, per year, round trip
- $260 per student, per year, round trip, for students who qualify for reduced price lunch
- $0 per student, per year, round trip, for students who qualify for free lunch
- Full payments must be made in advance no later than June 14, 2018, to be included on a bus roster for the start of the school year.
Application Due Date: June 1, 2018
Payment Due: June 14, 2018
· Applications will be accepted after the due dates while capacity remains on existing routes. (Note: Students will only be assigned to existing bus stops and routes; buses will not be re-routed to accommodate requests.)
- Students are not eligible to ride until payment is received and application is approved.
- To apply for pay-to-ride busing, please download the following form:
- Pay-to-Ride Student Transportation Application
- Payment can be made online or checks should be made payable to Iowa City Community School District
- Mail or bring your application and payment, if paying by check, to the following address:
Iowa City Community School District
Att.: Esme Davis
1725 N Dodge Street
Iowa City, IA 52245
- Iowa City Community School District will begin processing applications upon receipt, in the order they are received. Each application and payment will be kept on file until it is determined the student is eligible for a seat on the bus.
If you are interested in participating in this pay-to-ride program please return the application no later than June 1, 2018 and payment must be made in advance no later than June 14, 2018, to be considered for a bus roster for the start of the school year.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me via email or by phone.
Mileage Club is starting back up and needs your help
April 20: NO SCHOOL
April 21: Penn Elementary night at the Cedar Rapids Kernels
April 28: Penn Night at Ghurtie's
May 1: Last day parent input for next year's teacher will be accepted (see form above)
May 14: 5th and 6th grade Track & Field Meet at City High @ noon
May 16: Music performances for 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th grades. Times listed above.
May 21 - 25: 6th graders attend School of the Wild
May 30: LAST DAY of SCHOOL; Dismissal 1 hour early at 1:55pm
May 30: 6th grade Celebration @ 8:15am
It is the policy of the Iowa City Community School District not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, creed, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and socioeconomic status in its educational programs, activities, or employment practices. There is a grievance procedure for processing complaints of discrimination. If you have questions or a grievance related to this policy, please contact Kingsley Botchway II, Director of Equity, 1725 N. Dodge St., Iowa City, IA 52245, 319-688-1000, Botchway.Kingsley@iowacityschools.org.