March 1, 2020
SUPER HEROES SHOW CHARACTER
MARCH IS FOR CITIZENSHIP
DATES TO NOTE:
Harry Potter Spirit Day
03/10--Last day to buy yearbooks
03/13--Professional Growth Day--Dismissal 11:20
HARRY POTTER SPIRIT DAY
Student Council invites all students to participate in our Harry Potter Spirit Day on Friday, March 6th. You can dress as any Harry Potter character or dress to match the house for your grade level.
TK/K - Hufflepuff (wear yellow and black)
1st/2nd - Slytherin (wear green and silver/gray)
3rd/4th - Gryffindor (wear red and yellow/gold)
5th - Ravenclaw (wear gray and blue).
We hope to see you showing your school spirit this Friday!
TK INTEREST WAIT LIST
Parents of children with a fifth birthday between June 1st and September 1st who wish to enroll their child into a TK class, rather than a Kindergarten class, MUST place their child’s name on a District Interest Wait List. Below are the steps for parents/guardians to take if they would like their child to attend TK rather than Kindergarten for the 2020-2021 school year. Please note that this is a new process. Information can also be found on the PUSD website as well.
- Enroll your student in kindergarten at your school of residence during the first week of May.
- Once enrolled and your student’s birthdate is verified, the school will give you instructions on how to place your student’s name on the TK Interest List later in May.
- Students will be placed on a first-come-first-serve basis. As always, due to increased numbers of students required to enroll in TK because of their age, space is limited.
- Students will be seated on a space-available basis according to the TK Interest List and possibly not at their home school.
- Interest List placement is NOT a guarantee that a child will get a TK seat.
- The TK Interest List is open only to students who live in the PUSD boundaries.
- The student is returned automatically to his/her school of residence at the beginning of the following school year for Kindergarten.
If you have questions about the TK Interest List, please email email@example.com
SCHOOL BOND MEASURE
District Coronavirus Update
We are continuing to closely monitor the coronavirus (now named COVID-19) situation.
As of February 21, 2020, County health officials report there are only two known cases of coronavirus in San Diego County. Both individuals were on flights (2/5/20 and 2/7/20) from Wuhan, China and are under federal quarantine at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar.
You may be aware that the disease has spread to other countries and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has issued new travel warnings with increased concern for South Korea, Japan, and Italy. Travel warnings for China have not changed, and the CDC has lowered their level of concern for travel to Hong Kong and Taiwan. Additional detail about these warnings can be found on the CDC website.
We are working with county school and health officials to establish protocols for PUSD in the event that coronavirus does spread in San Diego County. More information will be shared as this plan develops. In the meantime, current information about the coronavirus is available on the CDC and County of San Diego/Health and Human Services websites.
As a reminder, if your child is sick, please keep them home from school. To help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including the coronavirus and flu, follow these important tips:
· Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
· Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
· Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
· Stay home when you are sick.
· Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
· Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
· Individuals with chronic health issues and/or individuals experiencing severe symptoms should be evaluated by a medical professional.
· Get vaccinated every year.
Additionally, the California Department of Public Health does not recommend the use of face masks for general prevention and says that handwashing provides better protection from infectious diseases.
Poway Unified School District will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as necessary. We thank you for your cooperation and support.
Associate Superintendent, Student Support Services
Poway Unified School District
15250 Avenue of Science | San Diego, CA 92128
Support Westwood Foundation
Unfortunately, due to low ticket sales the WWES Foundation Gala had to be cancelled for 2020.
Without the Gala, we are at risk of losing funding to support the Reading Impact Teacher for the 2020/21 school year. Please consider making a donation today. As always, we thank you for your support!
Volunteer for one of the open board positions on the Westwood Elementary Foundation.
Board Positions: President, Secretary, Director of Special Events, Director of Community Programs (Boxtops, Shoparoo, Dining for Dollars)
Event Coordinators: Golf Tournament Coordinator, Carnival Coordinator, Gala Coordinator
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested and to get more information.