July 31, 2015
At CLP We Are Growing Leaders Every Day In Every Way!
I hope you are all enjoying your summer break. We were able to enjoy a very nice getaway to St. Thomas and St. John in the U.S. Virgin Islands. It was such a beautiful place!! Seriously the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Makenzie took a friend with her so it was really a nice retreat for Jack and I. It felt like a getaway for just us.
I also was able to attend Alan November's Building Learning Communities Conference in Boston with three other elementary principals. It was a great week of learning new things!! I can't wait to share these new ideas with you.
We have some staffing changes and additions. We have hired a new librarian. Below you will find some information about Gabby. We are very excited to welcome Gabby as part of our staff and the new ideas she will bring to the library and to Cullins. You all know about Ivey Shing and Angela Slawinski. They have all included a little bio to tell you all about them. Abby Silva has resigned from her position at Cullins as our school counselor. We will be interviewing in the coming days to fill our counselor position.
On Tuesday of this week we had a great time at the Team Leader Retreat. Lots of work was done to plan for the school year with team leaders. It was a great day of excitement and possibility!!
Laura and I are out of the office at Leadership Academy until Tuesday of next week. Julie is working manning the front desk and registering kids!!! If you know of students that need to register..... Get the word out!!!!
I am so excited and honored to serve you for another year at Cullins Elementary. Where GREAT things happen daily because of YOU!!!!
I’m back! Yay! Please feel free to e-mail, text or call me if you need anything.
Just a few things:
·· The custodial crew is finished with the deep cleaning so it is safe to start coming in to set up your rooms! Please be careful with moving furniture from one room to another since the floors are freshly waxed. (Plus, we can track you down via the scratched wax trail! :0/ )
· Team Leaders will be contacting you (if they haven’t already) about a few nuts & bolts to start the year off with a bang!
· LIM T-Shirts- If you do not already have a LIM t-shirt (the one with the tree on the back) please let your team leaders know so we can get you set up! Or if you need a new one...
- Yes, you can hang things from the ceiling but MUST use fishing line or a metal chain.
- If you have curtains in your room they MUST be treated with flame retardant spray. (We will be buying some for your use and will let you know when it is here!)
- As a rule of thumb, don’t cover more than 50% of your wall space. (Team leaders can give you a little more details on that if you need it!
- If you come into your room (or area) and notice a concern that needs to be addressed please let us know so that we can submit a work order right away.
Friday, August 14th (8:00-3:45)
- We will begin our time together on campus learning more about the next steps in our Leader in Me journey!!
- Dress will be comfy and casual.
- We will provide breakfast from Chiloso and lunch will be on your own from 11:30-1:00.
Monday, August 17th (7:45-3:00)
- Convocation day at Lake Pointe Church. This will begin at 8:00. Please plan to carpool if possible as parking is always a challenge. And arrive early!
- Wear your new CLP shirts with jeans. Please don't wear tennis shoes for this day. However because of our afternoon you may want to bring some shorts and tennis shoes to change in to.
- At 11:00 we will meet at Shenaniganz for lunch and a day of team building. We will spend the remainder of the day here.
- Team Leaders will meet at the conclusion of this time to go over campus data and goals.
Tuesday, August 18th
- District Professional Learning Day. You will receive an email with assignments for this day.
- Professional Dress on this day.
- Lunch will be on your own.
Wednesday, August 19th (8:00-3:45)
- This day will be spent at Cullins as we receive Day 3 Kagan Training. Angela Pinkerton will be back to work with us in refining our skills with Cooperative Learning.
- All need your Day 1 and 2 materials. If you do not have these you should have already notified Julie Woolly about ordering more.
- Dress is comfy/casual on this day.
- PTA will be providing lunch for us. Awesome!!
Thursday, August 20th (8:30-4:00)
- We will be at CLP on this day. This day will be "Making Time to be Awesome".
- Dress is comfy/casual.
- Lunch will be on your own.
- New Student Orientation 4-5
- Kinder Orientation 5-6
Friday, August 21st
- Campus Work Day.
- Back to School Night 4:00-6:00. (lists posted at 4:00)
- Wear nice jeans and new CLP shirt.
- Boxed lunches will be provided from McAllister's.
Welcome our new Cullins Librarian Gabby Brown!!
Gabby Brown comes to us from Grand Prairie ISD where she has spent the last two years as an elementary librarian. Prior to this she was in Duncanville ISD as an Instructional Coach, Librarian, and 1st and 2nd grade teacher. She has a Master's degree in Library Science from the University of North Texas. She is passionate about promoting literacy development and fostering lifelong reading habits among children. She is a wife and a mother of two amazing little boys, Titus (3) and David (19months). Her favorite children's book authors are Chris Van Allsburg and Jane Yolen. When she is not chasing her busy boys, she enjoys having a much needed date night with her husband of eleven years.
Welcome Angela Slawinksi as Instructional Assistant in Transitions
Angela worked as a long term substitute last year with the CLP Transition students and teachers. She is delighted to return this year, as a full time Transitions Assistant.
Angela is new to the field of Education, after working in the Oil and Gas industry and also in the Cosmetics/Beauty Supply industry, for several years. During her earlier years, she was a stay at home mom and wife for approximately 10 years. She loved and enjoyed spending quality time, teaching, guiding and raising my children when they were younger. She has found that working with children is very fulfilling and rewarding on a personal level.
She has several hobbies she enjoys which consist of jewelry making, home decorating, painting, arts and crafts and gardening. She loves music of all genres, reading, watching movies and taking care of her family. She and her husband, together, have four children. They currently have two children at home. Their 14 year old daughter is a freshman at Rockwall High School and their son is a 5th grader at CLP.
She expects the 2015/2016 school year will be a wonderful year; as the students and staff of CLP, will all have a great opportunity to learn and grow!
Welcome Ivey Shing as Instructional Assistant in Functional Academics 2
Many of you already know Ivey as she has been with us as a long term substitute since November of last year. We are very excited to welcome her to our staff full time. Ivey has been married to her husband Richard for 21 years. They have been local residents since 1995. Their church home is Our Lady of the Lake in Rockwall. They have 3 children and 4 grandchildren. Ivey loves to read, work in her flowerbeds and spend time with her family and friends. Ivey started as a substitute teacher in October 2014 after a 19 year career with the US Postal Service. She is very excited to be a part of the CLP Family.