GVMS Weekly Update
August 9th, 2019
GVMS School Community
We are so excited for the 2019-2020 school year! It is a special time for Garnet Valley Middle School. We ended last year by finalizing our plans for a new master schedule. This came after two years of planning and preparation with the active involvement and commitment of our teachers, GVMS HSA, GV Administration, and our GV School Board to build a student-centered schedule. This year our students and teachers will have the opportunity to learn and grow together in 57-minute classes, student choice in electives, and a monthly advisory period. In the Spring, we uploaded all of our scheduling information which can be found at this link: https://sites.google.com/garnetvalley.org/gvmsupdate/home
We also moved our new GVMS Course Guide under resources and it can be found at the following link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RkxW2dLitcCxXLlKJDXjHEv-yjEgU8LpQmcECTFFrE8/edit
Summer Work and School Supplies can be found on the main GV home page or by clicking https://sites.google.com/garnetvalley.org/gvsdsummerworkforstudents/home?authuser=0
6th Grade Transition Camp
If you have not registered for this great event, use the link below to print a copy of the registration form and drop it off to the Guidance office at your earliest convenience. Please contact Mrs. Barbara Frattura at 610.579.5106 if you have any questions.
Final Building Update
One of our greatest challenges this summer will be finding a replacement for Ms. Dawn Papa, Assistant Principal, who will be making the transition back to the classroom as our new 6th grade Social Studies Teacher.
Ms. Papa will fill a vacancy left by Ms. Julie Cady who resigned to spend more time with her family. Similarly, Ms. Papa’s transfer will allow her to continue her work as an exceptional educator with the students, parents, and staff of Garnet Valley Middle School while making more time for her family.
I, along with district leadership, felt that Ms. Papa’s skill set, district knowledge, and years of teaching and administrative experience perfectly matches our newly designed 6th grade Social Studies Curriculum, and its emphasis on global, cultural, and historical literacy. Ms. Papa is excited to take on this new opportunity, remain in the Garnet Valley school community, and do what she loves–teaching!
Although we are relieved that Ms. Papa is remaining at the middle school, she will be sorely missed as our assistant principal. We, however, have already posted an assistant principal opening and will convene an inclusive interview committee to ensure that we find the best candidate. The goal is to have a finalist presented to the school board for approval by August.
Ms. Papa will remain as the Assistant Principal through the end of the summer to ensure a smooth transition with the implementation of our new master schedule. We have an extremely dedicated and committed staff that has already asked to help so that this transition is as seamless as possible. Undoubtedly, we will be prepared for your child as they start the first day of school.
As always, I appreciate your understanding and support. I will keep you informed as we move to fill our assistant principal position.
Enjoy the rest of your summer!
Lisa Stenz, Principal
Gerry Weinhardt, Assistant Principal
GVMS Home and School Update
It's hard to believe that we are less than one month away from the start of another school year. Although we are still enjoying the last few weeks of summer, the HSA Board is busy getting ready for an amazing school year for our GVMS community! Please take a minute to read through the email to find out what we are working on to make the coming year fun and successful for all of our students!
1) SPIRIT WEAR & DISCOUNTED SCHOOL SUPPLIES- The Home and School Association (HSA) will be selling spirit wear and discounted school supplies at the 6th grade transition camp on Wednesday, August 21st from 9:30 - 12:30. We will be selling everything your student will need for his/her Physical Education uniform (t-shirts, shorts,& gym bags) in addition to lots of fun new items for everyone in the family. We will also be selling discounted school supplies for all students. We have binders, Case-Its, notebooks, colored pencils, highlighters, and so much more that we will be selling at a discounted price! You can do your school shopping and support GVMS HSA all at the same time!! We have a few complete 6th grade "school supply kits". The complete kits with Case-Its are $30 and the complete kits with 1-inch binders are $15. All other supplies will be sold for $1.00 or less. This is an amazing way to get a fabulous bargain on the back to school items and support GVMS as well!! Here is a link for the form to pre-order your child's gym uniform https://sites.google.com/garnetvalley.org/gvmshsa/home
2) VOLUNTEERS NEEDED- We have a few upcoming events for which we are still in need of volunteers. If you are able to volunteer in any way for any of these event, we would love your support!! Here are some upcoming events for which we are looking for assistance:
* Transition Camp (8/21/19) Volunteers are needed to sell spirit wear and school supplies & collect HSA donations between the hours of 9:30 - 12:30. Volunteers are also needed at 9:00 to check in all of the 6th grade students as they arrive for Transition Camp. Any amount of time that you can give is greatly appreciated!. Here is a link to sign up to volunteer for this year's transition camp:
* Craft Fair (12/7/19) The Craft Fair is one of our largest fundraisers for the Middle School and we need lots of volunteers to help plan the event, set up and clean up, and help to work during the event as well. It's a perfect way to give an hour or two of your time, hang out with friends and family, and shop for the holidays! Last year we raised over $6000 from this event alone but we can't have this event without volunteers!! Here is a link to sign up to volunteer for this year;s Craft Fair:
3) AmazonSmile is a website operated by Amazon with the same products, prices, and shopping features as Amazon.com. The difference is that when you shop on AmazonSmile, the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price of eligible products to the charitable organization of your choice. On your first visit to AmazonSmile (smile.amazon.com), you will be prompted to select a charitable organization from their list of eligible organizations. Please consider selecting Garnet Valley Middle School Home & School Association as your charity of choice. This is an easy way to support GVMS HSA whenever you shop on Amazon!
To volunteer for any of these events or for other HSA events, or if you have any questions or suggestions about HSA events, please contact Andrea Romaniello at firstname.lastname@example.org or Missy Rosenthal at email@example.com