- Is a mammal.
- Covered with short guard hairs and thick underfur.
- Overall color is darkish reddish brown to rusty red.
- Weighs about 11-19 kilograms.
- Adults are measured 33-40 inches in length.
- Average shoulder height is about 53-62 cm.
Ethiopian wolf standing in its habitat.
Ethiopian Wolf Pack
Ethiopian wolves hunt in a pack.
Ethiopian Wolf Cubs
Ethiopian wolf cubs stay together for protection.
The Ethiopian Wolf
Food Chain & Habitat
- Food sources include: big headed mole rat, grass rats, black clawed brush furred rats, highland hares, vlei rats, and yellow spotted brush furred rats.
- Live in the mountains and plains.
- Live in temperate weather.
- Thick fur protects against weather as cold as -15 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stronger legs for running, sneaking up on prey, jumping, and pouncing.
Reasons for Endangerment & Critical Information
- Habitat loss.
- Population fragmentation.
- Encroachment within protected areas.
- Human persecution and disturbance.
- Hybridization with dogs.