Principal Update: Week of November 23
Connecting * Informing * Supporting
From Principal Andrews
Good afternoon, Greenville Middle Family - This is Principal Andrews with the school updates for the week of November 23. By now you’ve heard of the district’s phased in return to in-person instruction for all middle schools. I imagine there are parents who are excited to finally see students back in school on a regular basis, while others are very concerned about this return.
Regardless of where you stand on the return to in-person, I want to relay to each of you that the health and safety of our students and our staff is of my utmost priority, especially now. We will continue to follow the protocols we have in place, which I believe have been helpful.
Our teachers and staff recognize that eLearning has been a challenge and that our students learn best when they are in-person. Teachers have felt the tremendous weight of ensuring students are learning and progressing. We will welcome our students back, and we appreciate your help in this transition.
To help address questions that you may have regarding the return to in-person, I’ve updated the Greenville Middle COVID-19 School Protocols & Procedures: A Guide for Students & Parents. My hope is this document is able to answer questions you may have regarding the transition to in-person.
I'd also like to take this opportunity to wish our GMA families a very Happy Thanksgiving! I consider it a blessing to be a part of our school community. May this holiday be filled with joy and many happy moments surrounded by family and friends, socially distanced, of course!
- December 9 & 10 - LEAP Testing (Reading)
- December 14 & 15 - LEAP Testing (Math)
- December 21-January 1 - Winter Break / GCS Offices & Schools Closed
In this week's GMA Bulletin, you'll find information about:
- SIC Meeting @ 12:00 on 11/24 via Zoom
- PSAT New Test Date & Open Registration (11/16-11/24) Information
- GMA Virtual Book Fair Information
- Eastside High School Prospective Student Showcase Information (in the Student Activities section)
- Much more!
As always, thank you for your support of Greenville Middle Academy! Let's have a great week!
Updated COVID Guide for Students & Parents
Do NOT send students to school who are symptomatic of any contagious disease and follow DHEC instructions on COVID isolations and quarantines.
- Masks are required for all students and staff when entering and exiting the building. Whenever 6 feet of social distancing cannot be maintained, masks will be worn inside the classroom. Masks will also be worn during transitions from class to class.
- Social distancing of at least six feet is critically important. DHEC requires an exclusion from school for 10-14 days for anyone who tests positive for COVID and all close contacts.
CLOSE CONTACT & EXCLUSION FROM SCHOOL
- Close contacts are defined as individuals who spend at least 15 cumulative minutes within six feet of a person while he/she is contagious with COVID. This requirement is not impacted by wearing masks - so even if individuals wear a mask and do not socially distance, they will be excluded from school/work. Individuals with COVID are believed to be contagious for up to 48 hours before they develop symptoms or test positive (if asymptomatic).
Students with symptoms of COVID-19 should be excluded from school if they have any one of the following with or without fever:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing -or-
- Loss of taste or smell -or-
- New or worsening cough
- South Carolina's DHEC website has a website that shows COVID-19 testing locations. The interactive map is available here.
GMA Virtual Book Fair
The Scholastic Book Fair is back! While the Fair will be exclusively held online this year, we still plan on making it a fun and joyous experience for our kids. Features include:
- Greenville Middle’s own online store, with a large selection of titles, at the right price points
- A Virtual Fair so you and your kids can experience the magic of the school shopping experience. Browse titles by grade, meet popular authors, and discover the comfort and joy of our Fair
- Every dollar you spend will benefit our school directly (25% back in rewards!)
Books will be shipped directly to your address with a minimum of a $25 purchase. Save these dates and view our school’s Fair site:
Fair Dates: Monday, Nov. 30 – Monday, Dec. 14
The link will be live on our school website Monday, Nov. 30. We can’t wait to “see” you at the Fair!
PSAT/NMSQT Testing Information
Our 8th-grade students have the opportunity to participate in the PSAT exam, scheduled on January 26th at GMA. If your child is taking Algebra 1, English 1, and/or Geometry 1, the test is offered for free. Please return the form below giving your child permission to take the test. If your child is not in one of these classes, there is a $17 fee that must be sent with the parent permission form.
Virtual students may participate, but are required to provide their own transportation. Forms/questions should be directed to Mrs. Cao. Registration is open until 2:00 PM on November 24, 2020.
Per College Board policies, students who took the PSAT/NMSQT test on October 14, 2020, are not eligible for testing on January 26th.
Learn English With the Greenville Literacy Association
Virtual ESL Classes run January to March 2021 Monday—Thursday!
Registrations are in person. We follow social distancing and require facial masks to fill out registration forms, test, pay and obtain a Skype account. Please allow 1 hour for registration.
Latinx KidLit Book Festival
PTA Memberships - The Backbone of Our School Community!
Please join the GMA PTA. Membership is $5. Our membership goal is to have 100% membership participation. Our PTA supports students and staff. Money raised goes towards staff appreciation, school improvement and end-of-the-year events.
Memberships are available in the virtual school store at: https://gma.memberhub.store/.
Take Home Meals Process
On Attendance Plans 1 and 2, students can receive take-home breakfast and lunch for days they are NOT in attendance. The meals will be available for pickup near the end of the day.
In order to assist our cafeteria staff better prepare for the number of meals needed to be sent home, we are asking families, interested in this meal option, to complete this form no later than Sunday for the upcoming week. A form should be completed for each student receiving the meals.
High School Information
Eastside High School - Students attending EHS next year should view the Eastside High School Prospective Student Showcase in order to gain information about the School Profile, Athletics/Clubs/Extracurricular Activities, Dual Credit/AP Courses, & Change In Assignment Process.
Southside High School - The International Baccalaureate (IB) Program at Southside High School provides students with a rigorous course of study to help prepare them for university success and life beyond high school. Students may elect to complete the full diploma program or earn a certificate in one or more areas of study. In order to complete the diploma program students study six subjects over the course of two years. Learn more about the SHS Program.
Career Explorer helps students forge a future within some of the fastest-growing careers and industries in South Carolina. It provides information on the pay rate, expected job growth and number of openings for a variety of high-demand jobs.
Check out Career Explorer!
Scholarship and Awards Programs - Information and Deadlines
- $500 - 2 Awards (Deadline: December 15, 2020)
- To be eligible students must be in grade 6-12 and submit an appropriately prepared geneology
- $1000 - 4 Awards (Deadline: March 5, 2021)
- To be eligible for the award a student must be a U.S. student enrolled in 6th-8th and have exactly 4 students in your team (students do not need to be from the same school)
- $100,000 - 100 Awards (Deadline; May 1, 2021)
- To be eligible for the award a student must be a student between the ages of 4 and 18 (as of the date the entry is submitted)
Nominate a Teacher for the WYFF Golden Apple Award
Use this Nomination Form to complete your entry. This link will prompt you to make a copy, click make a copy and complete your nomination. Once finished, print and mail your entry to:
WYFF News 4
Golden Apple Award
505 Rutherford Street
Greenville, SC 29609
Set Up Parent Backpack - An App for Parents & Guardians
Parent Backpack is an online application that allows parents and guardians to view your student's grades, school attendance, and discipline when you are logged into the system. Parent Backpack works on any device and is mobile-friendly.
To access Parent Backpack, go to https://parents.gcsbackpack.com and create an account. Please access directions by clicking on Creating a Parent Backpack Account.
eLearning Tab On Our Website
Here are a few resources that you will find on this page:
- Parent Video Guide to Google Classroom
- Google Guardian Feature (Summary emails about your student's missing work, upcoming work, and class activity)
- Parents’ Guide to Google Classroom / La guía de los padres para Aula de Google
- Accessing Google Classroom Files and Websites while Offline / Accediendo a Google Classroom Archivos y sitios web sin conexión
- Directions to Authenticate Your Chromebook