December Updates and Reminders
- In-Service Day- (No School for students both campuses)- December 6, 2019
- Holiday Market- Jenkintown Location-3:00pm-8:00pm, December 6, 2019 (See flyer below for details)
- (CANCELED) Weekend Workshop for Parents and Community Members: Understanding Government Benefits for a Special Needs Loved One (Meeting at Jenkintown)- December 14, 2019
- Surviving and Thriving Parent Support Group (Meeting at Annex)- December 14, 2019 10:00 am to 11:30 am (Childcare is provided with advanced registration.)
- Student Half-Day (12:30 student dismissal for both locations)- December 20, 2019
- Winter Break- (Schools closed for students and staff both campuses)- December 23, 2019 through January 3, 2020
- School Resumes- January 6, 2020
- Surviving and Thriving Parent Support Group (Meeting at Annex)- January 18, 2020 10:00 am to 11:30 am (Childcare is provided with advanced registration.)
- MLK Day of Service (No school in session but please join us for the MLK Day of Service- More details to follow)- January 20, 2020
Join in the fun!
ASUA Jenkintown and Annex will celebrate the holidays with a week full of fun attire! Staff and students are encouraged to show holiday spirit with the following festive schedule!
Monday, December 16, 2019- Flannel Day!
Dress in your warmest and coziest flannel shirt or pants!
Tuesday, December 17, 2019- Favorite Sports Team Day!
Show support to your favorite sports team!
Wednesday, December 18, 2019- Wrapped in Red!
Red is the theme! Wear as much red as possible to show your holiday spirit!
Thursday, December 19, 2019- Pajama Day!
Roll out of bed and come to school in your comfy PJs and get set to enjoy the Polar Express in the afternoon!
Friday, December 20, 2019- Ugly Holiday Sweater/Favorite Holiday Gear Day!
Tacky holiday sweaters or snazzy holiday gear are welcome today!
'Tis the season...for colds...
- Fever: If your child has a fever at night, he/she must not attend school the next morning. Please wait 24 hours after the fever breaks before sending your child back to school. This means that your child has not been given any fever reducing medicine for 24 hours and the fever has not returned during that time.
- Upset stomach. If your child vomits during the night, do not send them to school the next day. Please wait 24 hours after a child vomits before sending your child back to school.
- Cold: If symptoms are severe (e.g., persistent cough or severe runny nose with thick mucus that will consistently interrupt their work or rest time), please keep your child at home so they may rest and recover.
- Strep Throat: A strep infection requires a doctor’s visit and medication. Strep can lead to a more serious illness if not properly treated. Your child must be on medication at least 24 hours before returning to school.
- Pink Eye/Conjunctivitis: Pink eye/conjunctivitis requires a doctor’s visit and medication and is highly contagious. Your child must be on medication at least 24 hours before returning to school.
Illness at School
If a child becomes ill at school, a parent/guardian will be contacted and will be expected to pick up the child as soon as possible. The student’s emergency contacts will be called if the parents are unavailable. ASUA staff are CPR/First Aid certified.
Inclement Weather Procedures
With the potential for inclement weather at this time of the year, I wanted to take a minute to review the notification of delay, cancellation, and early dismissal for ASUA.
1. ASUA will strive to provide the earliest notification of any delay, cancellation, or early dismissal possible.
2. Notification will be made via our text alert system and email. This system has been updated as of today with all currently enrolled student/parent information.
3. In case of a delay, cancellation, or early dismissal, all transportation companies will be notified. In the event of an early dismissal, parents who utilize transportation companies will also be notified via a phone call and email so that they can arrange for someone to be home when the student arrives. Parents who personally transport their children will be asked to pick up their children at the early dismissal time shared via the text alert system.