School Community Newsletter - 10/28/20
Dear Thomas Middle School Community,
With Halloween coming up and the end of the 1st quarter this Friday, this Community Newsletter is a little early. We feel it's important to share a few things that are time-sensitive.
During these last several weeks we've been working with students to ensure they have completed their assignments and turned in all of their work. Many thanks for your continued support in navigating and guiding your child(ren) with their learning this quarter. We have two important upcoming opportunities for parents to support your efforts:
1) We are hosting a Parent Session on Distance Learning on Friday, 11/6/20 @ 9:15 AM. This virtual session will focus on how to help families navigate remote learning. Please RSVP below.
2) We are hosting Virtual Parent-Teacher Conferences on Thursday, November 19th & Friday, November 20th. The sign-ups for this will open up this Monday, November 2nd. A reminder email will be sent out this on Monday.
While we continue to face new challenges, it's critical that we stay committed and that safety remains our #1 priority! Thank you for continuing to talk to your children about the importance of connecting with their teachers and classmates, in-person or remote, and the importance of following the COVID prevention measures both inside and outside of school; wearing a mask, maintaining 6 feet of social distancing at all times & with all peers, and encouraging your children to frequently wash their hands. The daily screeners are essential and we are counting on everyone to properly report when COVID symptoms are present. We want to maintain our connections with students and each other and keep everyone healthy.
This all feels like a lot, and honestly, it is. We are all juggling many tasks, many of which a new, different, and somewhat uncomfortable. When times are difficult or when things feel beyond our control, we try to remember that the one thing we can rely on and the one thing we can control is OUR ATTITUDE. We get to choose our outlook. We can trust in each other and rely on supporting one another. As one wise TMS parent shared with us this week, "There is so much we could be negative about, so when we feel gratitude it's important to share with one another! Even when times are tough, we're proud to be a part of the TMS community!" That said, please know how much we are grateful for your continued patience and flexibility AND your partnership as we focus on SAFETY, CONNECTION & INSTRUCTION.
This weekend is a long one for the students and your families. We hope you take the time to enjoy the four days together. Upon return on Wednesday and Thursday, we have MAP testing which causes us to have two days of an adjusted daily schedule (see below). We hope the students will enjoy the Choice Board activities and assemblies we have planned for the non-testing day. This coming week the soonest there could be homework assignments is Friday. This will be a nice way to roll out the second quarter. The 7th & 8th graders will begin new Creative Arts classes on Friday.
Take care and be well!
~ Lori, Greg, & Nick
- TMS Halloween Scavenger Hunt
- Resources for talking to kids about the election
- IAR Spring 2020 Reports & MAP Fall 2020 Testing
- Traffic Safety Alert
- Virtual Jazz Band
- Monday, November 2nd - NON-STUDENT ATTENDANCE DAY - SIP Day for Staff
- Tuesday, November 3rd - NON-STUDENT ATTENDANCE DAY
- Wednesday & Thursday, November 4th & 5th - MAP Testing & Assemblies *ADJUSTED DAILY SCHEDULES WILL OCCUR ON BOTH DAYS! Please see below!
- Friday, November 6th - Report Cards are viewable in PowerSchool
- Tuesday, November 17th - 5:00- 8:00 PM Portillo's Student Council Fundraiser
- Thursday, November 19th & Friday, November 20th - Parent-Teacher Conference - NON-STUDENT ATTENDANCE DAYS
- No changing outfits at school
- No applying makeup or (hair) sprays on school grounds
- Only Covid-19 approved masks are permitted - masks must not cover the entire face
- Props are not permitted at school or on Zoom
- No blood or blood lookalike materials are permitted at school or on Zoom
If you have any questions please contact the Thomas administration at 847.398.4260.
RESOURCES FOR TALKING TO KIDS ABOUT THE ELECTION
IAR & MAP TESTING INFORMATION
FALL 2020 MAP TESTING: Below is a copy of the TMS MAP Testing schedule. Some students will test remotely and others will test in-person. Please see below for details.
- REMOTE ONLY STUDENTS: If your child is currently registered as a REMOTE ONLY student, he or she will test from home on his or her testing day. Or, you have the option to bring your child to TMS for testing on his or her assigned testing day. If you wish to bring your child to TMS for testing, please complete this form by noon on 11/2/20 to register for a testing seat at TMS. Otherwise, your remote only student will test from home.
- HYBRID STUDENTS: Students will take these assessments in homeroom. If your child is unable to attend in-person learning on their designated testing date, your child has the option to test remotely that day.
TRAFFIC SAFETY ALERT
- U-turns are NOT permitted on Belmont Avenue - this is extremely dangerous!
- Stay in the drop-off line - please do NOT exit the line early by going around the car in front of you. The line is likely moving slowly because of traffic at the parking lot entrance.
- Parking or pulling into our Belmont Avenue parking lot is NOT permitted unless you have a specialized pick-up or a TMS parking permit.
- Students crossing Belmont Avenue are only permitted to do so at the corner crosswalks at Thomas Street and at Olive Street. Please encourage your child to use the crosswalks.
- Student drop-off from cars heading northbound on Belmont Avenue is NOT permitted.
Virtual Jazz Band
STUDENT ATTENDANCE IS REQUIRED FOR EACH CLASS!
ATTENDANCE: Attendance is taken each period. Click here for details on reporting absences.
Is Your HYBRID Student Staying REMOTE For A Day?
If your child is a hybrid student BUT he or she needs to stay home for a day, PLEASE CONTACT THE OFFICE AND REPORT THIS!
Do you have questions for the PTA? Email the PTA at: email@example.com
2020-2021 PTA Officers:
President: Lucy Block
President-Elect: Amy Hoffman
Vice President: Melissa Teuscher
Treasurer: Suzanne Krause
Secretary: Lisa Ulyrich
Future Meeting Dates:
* November 17 * January 13 * February 17 * March 18 * April 20 * May 19
Link to the TMS PTA Website
Questions regarding Spiritwear? Please contact:
Stephanie Notaro - firstname.lastname@example.org
Stephanie Gries - email@example.com f
Directory Spot: Shannon Hull is the TMS Directory Spot Chairperson. Please email ThomasPTADirectory@gmail.com for changes or access issues.
It is important that our parent community stays informed, especially as conditions surrounding the coronavirus pandemic continues to change. Information about COVID-19 and how it impacts District 25’s school plans for 2020-2021 is fluid and therefore will be continually evaluated and updated in accordance with local, state, and federal guidelines.