News from the Nest
September 7, 2018
The Week Ahead
TONIGHT 9/7 - NO Back to School Bash - postponed until Friday 9/14
**Week of 9/10**
- Book Fair - 9/10 - 9/14
- NO SCHOOL - Rosh Hashanah
Tuesday 9/11 (Day 4)
Wednesday 9/12 (Day 1)
- STARS Lunch, 11:45 am
- ESL Orientation, 6-6:30 pm
- Back to School Night (parents/guardians only)
- Session 1: 6:30-7:10 pm
- Session 2: 7:20-8:00 pm
Thursday 9/13 (Day 2)
Friday 9/14 (Day 3)
- Student Council (first day), 8-8:30 am. Location: 3rd Grade Pod
- Back to School Bash Rain Date, 5:30-7:30 pm. Location: VF Playground
Saturday 9/15 - SASD Big Bash Community Event (see flyer), 10am - 2pm. SAHS
POSTPONED - Back to School Bash
The weather forecast for today has forced us to postpone the Back to School Bash until next Friday, September 14th from 5:30-7:30PM.
If you RSVPed and can no longer make it, please email Meg Dick at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you can make it and had not yet signed up, please register using this Google form:
If you signed up to volunteer and no longer can, or if you are now available to volunteer, please visit https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0e4aacab2da1ff2-volunteers1 to update your availability.
Thank you for your flexibility and we hope to see you next week!
Book Fair Volunteers Needed
Mrs. Lightstone is in need of volunteers for the Book Fair (9/6-9/14). Please click on the link to the online page and sign up for a morning or afternoon. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Spirit Wear Sale!
Deadline extended until September 18!
Are you ready to show your Vernfield Spirit? The Vernfield Spirit Wear sale is starting now. We are using an online store through our local vendor, Nyce Shirt Company. Think you've already seen it all and tired of the same old offerings? This year we mixed it up with some new styles and items. In addition to some of our mainstays, check out the boat tote, winter beanie, Ladies Scorecard tee (so adorable!), 18” doll tees, new tie-dye colors, and most exciting – Football Jerseys!
Check out all our Fall items, and then click and pay, all on the same secure website. Please don’t wait until the last minute. Because we know that many of you are anxious to get your hands on some Spirit Wear to start the school year, our online store will close September 18th! We want you to have your Spirit Wear ASAP.
Please allow 2-3 weeks after the sale closes for your purchase(s) to come home with your child. If you would like a paper version of our order form or have any questions, please contact Betsy Powlus at email@example.com or call 215-513-1084.
Back to School Night
Please attend either or both sessions:
- 6:30 - 7:10 pm
- 7:20 - 8:00 pm
To ease parking congestion, please leave promptly at 7:10 pm if you attend the first session.
The Book Fair will be open in the Library throughout the evening for parents to shop.
- 8:05-8:35 AM - Beginner Class ($200)
- 3:30-4:15 PM - Advanced Class ($225)
Please register online at http://sace.soudertonsd.org by the 9/24 deadline!
For more information, please refer to the online Spanish Club flyer.
If you have questions, please contact Megan Sturm at (215) 480-5439 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer Sign Up
Interested in counting box tops? Want to send in items or attend a homeroom social/party? Like to donate food items for the teacher appreciation dinners/luncheons/breakfasts?
These and many more opportunities to volunteer can be found in this 'Hands Across the District' volunteer information and online sign-up! Please take 5 minutes to look through and sign up for opportunities to help out throughout the school year! THIS FORM INCLUDES HOMEROOM SOCIAL VOLUNTEERS! If you are unsure about when you might be available or what you can do, sign up anyway! Signing up allows you to get emails regarding the committee/event, and there is no pressure to participate! A list of committees can be found on the Home & School website.
The deadline to sign up is Friday, September 28.
If you have any questions, please contact Suzanne Kolesar: email@example.com. Thank you!
Save the Date!
**Week of 9/17**
- Home & School Welcome Back Social for Parents, 6:30-7:00 pm. Location: Library
- Home & School Meeting, 7-8 pm. Location: Library
Tuesday 9/18 - Deadline for Spirit Wear Orders (online here)
Wednesday 9/19 - NO SCHOOL - Yom Kippur
Friday 9/21 - Fall Picture Day
**Week of 9/24**
Monday 9/24 - Deadline to sign up for Spanish Club
- Home & School Committee Chair Meeting, 6:30-7:00 pm. Location: Library
- Home & School Homeroom Parent/Coordinator Meeting, 7-7:30 pm. Location: Library
Wednesday 9/28 - Deadline to sign up for Hands Across the District (sign up here)
Vernfield Printed Directory
Please complete the online form by FRIDAY, OCTOBER 5, 2018. Only one form per family is required.
Community event! 10am - 2pm at SAHS. See the flyer. Be sure to stop by the Vernfield table and show off your skill at the Football Toss Game! 3 tries for $1!
**Deadline for Student Image and Work Consents (deadline Sept 28)**
The District has recently revised its policy and guidelines for the use of student images and the publication of student work. Please review these guidelines and indicate your consent for the use of your student’s images and publication of his/her work. Log into the Home Access Center to grant or deny consent: http://www2.soudertonsd.org/parents-students/contact-sm/
**Souderton Area Community Education (SACE) Fall**
REGISTER NOW for Fall Evening Classes with Souderton Area Community Education (SACE)! More than 100 classes offered for community members of all ages, including: Arts, Dance, Cooking, Healthful Living, Sports, Life Planning, Languages, Aquatics, Trips and more. Look through the Fall 2018 Brochure and register online!
Easy Ways to Help Fundraise!
Please consider helping to raise funds for Home & School using the following:
- Giant A+ Rewards: earn money for VF while shopping at Giant! Go to https://giantfoodstores.com/ and Sign In or Register for an account (upper right corner). Click on My Account (upper right) and then Manage Your Account. Click on Rewards & Savings. Under A+ School Rewards, click Change School(s). The ID for Vernfield is 23581.
- Amazon Smile: earn money for VF while shopping on Amazon! Go to smile.amazon.com/about for instructions.
- Box Tops for Education: clip the 'Box Tops for Education' from participating boxes and labels! Send them to school with your child to be collected and counted. There is a contest among grades each year and the winning grade earns a prize! Go to www.boxtopsforeducation.com/earn for a complete list of participating products as well as information on the Box Tops Bonus app and Sweepstakes which can earn Vernfield even more!
- Box Tops Bonus App: Download the Box Tops Bonus App for your phone or tablet! Find offers, buy products, scan your receipt and earn even MORE box tops for Vernfield!
- ShopRite for My School: earn Box Tops for VF while shopping at ShopRite! Register your PricePlus club card at: https://shopriteformyschool.com/ register.
Thanks to the families who participated in these programs during the 2017-2018 school year! We earned:
- Giant A+ Rewards: $1467
- Amazon Smile: $163
- Box Tops: $1199
Volunteers can be grouped into two categories:
- Casual Volunteers (less than 10 hours per school year and works in the presence of a teacher/administrator with students).
- Program Volunteers (10 or more hours and may have unsupervised contact with students). This includes field trip chaperones.
Please review the details of each type of volunteer on the SASD Volunteer website and fill out the required forms. Program volunteers must also take a PPD skin test for tuberculosis (which can be done privately or by the school nurse). Please contact Mrs. Fox to make an appointment on 10/15, 10/16, or 10/17.
All volunteers must fill out the Registration and Disclosure Statement and return it to the office. This must be done each school year. There are also copies available in the Vernfield office.
Please note, Program Volunteers are required to renew these clearances every 60 months. If you would like to check your clearance status, please contact the Vernfield main office, 215-721-0606.