Long Elementary School
Welcome to the 23-24 School Year
We are SO excited to welcome all of our Long Leaders back to school! It is going to be the best year yet!
There is a lot of important information in this email. Please review it carefully. School starts on Tuesday, August 22nd at 8:45.
Below are a few IMPORTANT details for our families:
- If you haven't completed online verification, you need to do that immediately.
- If you did not complete the verification and need bus service you will not be routed for the first days of school. You will also have to email email@example.com requesting transportation. This could take several days to get on a route. Please call the office tomorrow with questions. We appreciated your patience.
- Bus service - if you do not see it listed in the parent portal of Infinite Campus, keep checking. If you do not see anything come early Monday morning, please make arrangements for getting your student to and from school.
- Expect delays in dismissal procedures and busses for the first week or two. We do plan on having teachers ride the buses home with students the first two days. It is not unusual to have students being dropped up 15-20 minutes later than the expected time as drivers adjust to the routes and our youngest riders learn their stops.
- There is a heat advisory in the forecast for next week. Although most buses are air-conditioned, we will encourage students who are bus riders to fill up their water bottles before they leave. We will also have bottled water for the first week to hand out to students that do not have water bottles.
- Due to the heat advisory will also anticipate indoor recess if the heat index goes above 100 degrees.
- The doors open for students at 8:35. Please do not drop them off any earlier.
Mark Your Calendars
August 22 - First Day of School
August 23rd-25th Long Flight Training Day -Students Will Review the Universal Expectations
Week of August 28 - LEAP begins
August 31st-PTO Night at Urban Air
September 4 - No School - Labor Day
September 17th-PTO Night at St. Louis SC
September 29 - No School for Students
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
School Hours are 8:45-3:35
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
Doors will open at 8:35. Students will be entering the building through the main entrance. They may stop and get breakfast in the cafeteria.
All children who are late to school after 8:45 a.m. will need to sign in at the office.
Morning Drop Off:
Long staff members will begin arrival at 8:35. Students arriving to school before 8:35 will not have adult supervision outside.
In the morning, caregivers will drop off and students will enter the building by using the main entrances indicated on the image below. We ask that caregivers do not get out of the car in the pick-up line. We will have adults direct students on the crosswalk. If you need to walk your child to the front doors please park and do not go through the drop off line.
We ask that all caregivers download the PikMyKid app, see information below. This app allows you to check in and adds your child's name to our list. We also have a staff member outside to assist in this checking in process. Caregivers that pick-up will enter through the parking lot's main entrance and form two lines. If your student is a pick-up they will wait in the gym until their name is called. Caregivers do not get out of the car. We will have staff members walk your children out and to the cars after the car line stops moving.
*This process is slower the first few days as our youngest students learn the routine
Walkers will be dismissed out the front doors.
Bus riders will be walked to the bus by a teacher.
A Message From The Nurse
Policy for medication administration at school:
- A parent/guardian must bring in any medication to be given. Medication can be dropped off anytime during school hours.
- Medication for either prescription or OTC (over the counter) should be in the original, unopened container accompanied with a written order signed by a licensed care provider. The pharmacy label on a current prescription bottle is the doctor’s order.
- For any student(s) with respiratory issues that requires an inhaler @ home, it is highly recommended that parents provide a rescue inhaler for the health office. Inhalers will be sent on field trips with the teacher.
Lynn Bilyeu, Administrative Assistant
Dr. Christina Phillips, Principal
Dr. Allie Mach, Assistant Principal
Kim Maddock, Counselor
Emily Bono, Counselor
Amanda Klahs, Nurse