Burlington County Professional Development Institute
Your Resource for Professional Development in Burlington County
BCSSSD Westampton Campus
20 Pioneer Blvd.
Westampton, NJ 08060
All workshops will be held in the Media Center at BCSSSD, 20 Pioneer Blvd., Westampton, NJ unless otherwise noted.
May 17, 2017
Mindfulness and Yoga in the PK-12 Classroom
Presenter: Ms. Bobbie Downs and Ms. Lisa Cleary
Target Audience: All School Staff and Administrators
Time: 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Mindfulness and yoga have proven to be effective methods in helping students succeed academically, socially, and emotionally. Defined by Jon Kabat-Zinn as “paying attention on purpose, in the present moment, and nonjudgmentally, to the unfolding of experience moment to moment,” mindfulness gives students the tools they need to focus, interact positively with others, and better understand their emotions. This presentation will discuss the basics of mindfulness, give attendees practical ways to apply it in the classroom, and provide resources that they can use to start their own program. Attendees will learn the importance of mindfulness and yoga in the lives of teachers and administrators as well. In an era of teacher burnout, high stakes testing, and increasing responsibilities, emotional intelligence is imperative. Mindfulness is an easy, applicable strategy to make an impact individually and school wide. Participants will leave the seminar not only personally relaxed, but with a stronger understanding of how mindfulness can be used when they return to their schools. Please wear comfortable clothing as we will do interactive activities and light movement.
About the Presenter:
Bobbie Downs is the Director of the Educational Services Unit under Burlington County Special Services School District. Prior to this position she served as a teacher and then middle school principal at Burlington County Alternative School. During her time there, she implemented mindfulness and yoga in the classroom to effectively help her students. She is a graduate of the Mindful Schools year-long program and continues to seek out professional development in mindfulness education. She is currently pursuing her Ed.D. in Educational Leadership at Rowan University, where she also received her M.A. in School Administration.
Registration Deadline: May 10, 2017
Ms. Lisa Cleary is a School Counselor at the Burlington County Alternative School and has been working with at-risk youth for the past 21 years. She has been practicing yoga for 18 years and has been trained and certified in teen yoga at the Medford Yoga Center in Medford, NJ. Ms. Cleary has been leading yoga groups for 15 years at BCAS and began incorporating mindfulness techniques into the classroom last year. She completed her Supervisor Certification and is currently pursuing her M.A. in School Administration at Rowan University.
Registration Deadline: May 10, 2017
Terms and Conditions
- The Burlington County Professional Development Institute (BCPDI) is comprised of districts in Burlington County who pay an annual membership fee. All employees of participating districts are permitted to attend any and all workshops free of charge for the school year in which a membership fee has been paid.
- A current photo ID issued by the registrant’s district and indicating he/she is an employee of said district is required for entrance to a BCPDI workshop. No person will be admitted to a workshop free of charge without proof of employment in a membership district on the day of the workshop.
- Employees of non-membership districts are permitted to register for any and all BCPDI workshops for a fee of $75 per workshop. Payment in the form of a purchase order, check or money order payable to the “Educational Services Unit - BCPDI” is required for admission on the day of a workshop. Cash and credit cards are not acceptable.
- Registrants are required to secure permission to attend a BCPDI workshop according to the “Request for Professional Development Leave” policies established in their districts. The BCPDI is not responsible for securing professional leave for any workshop participant.
- A Professional Development Certificate indicating the date and title of the workshop, the name of the presenter, and the number of professional development hours awarded will be provided at the conclusion of the workshop. No PD certificates will be issued prior to the conclusion of the workshop.
- In the event of inclement weather or other conditions that result in the cancellation of a scheduled workshop, information will be posted on the Burlington County Special Services School District website (www.bcsssd.k12.nj.us) under the ESU tab. An email will also be sent to all registrants. Every effort will be made to reschedule any cancelled workshop.