9th & 10th Grade Lit: Summer 2016!
A step-by-step guide to starting the GAVS semester!
Welcome to Georgia Virtual School!
Please scroll down and work through the directions that follow to start your course on time.
Meet Your Teacher
Step 1: Complete the SOC (Student Orientation Course)
The following items are required for the completion of the Student Orientation Course (SOC):
- students complete all sign off
- students complete all agreement quizzes
- students make a 100% on the final Student Orientation Quiz.
- Students may choose to opt out of the Student Orientation Course*; however, students who elect to opt out of the Student Orientation Course are still responsible for all content presented in the course.
Students must finish or opt out of the SOC before gaining access to the course. Students will not gain access to the course until the start date.
*Only those students who have taken the SOC previously are able to "opt out"
Watch this video to learn how to complete the SOC.
Please watch this short tutorial to help you understand how to use your schedule. Click and watch as many times as necessary.
This Sample is a Biology schedule, but the same process applies to English.
Click below to learn how to ensure you are submitting assignments properly:
English Synchronous Sessions: Our Online Classroom
I will conduct a synchronous class chat with students twice per week:
- Mondays at 6 pm - Office Hour: Q&A
- Thursdays at 1 pm - Review: Lessons and/or content
All sessions are announced on the Course Homepage with a link to join the session.
I strongly encourage you to make the English chat sessions a part of your weekly routine to boost your potential for success in this course, and better reach your goal.
Important Parent Information
If you already have a parent account please do NOT create a new one:
- Please check to see that your parent account is linked to your student’s account.
- For more information click Help on the Log in page or click For more information click Help on the Log in page or click the following link. http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
If you are uncertain about whether you have a parent account or not:
1. Log in to GAVS at www.gavirtualschool.org and at the Log In page type in your username and password.
2. For more information click Help at the top of the Log In page or click the following link. http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
*Information for parents who have NEVER created a parent account:
1) Login to our website www.gavirtualschool.org
2) Click the “Log In To GAVS” icon
3) Click “Create An Account” from the navigation bar.
4) You will need to know your child’s GTID and date of birth.
5) Please follow the directions on the screen.
6) Be sure you have linked your parent account to your student’s account.
7) For more information simply click HELP at the top of the Log In page or click the following link. http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
D2L Help Sessions for Students and Parents:
- Thursday, June 4 at 11AM
- Tuesday, June 9 at 7PM
- Thursday, June 11 at 11AM
Where: This is an online event in the Adobe D2L Help Classroom.
You will join by entering the meeting as a Guest. Your username is your first and last name.
The space for each session is limited. We ask everyone to join the session using only ONE computer at your home. If the session is full, the recording will be posted within the learning management system and you will have an opportunity to review the recording OR attend another upcoming meeting. The schoolwide D2L meetings are separate from individual Welcome sessions held by each teacher. Please plan to attend the meeting with your teacher as well. Your teacher will notify you about the date of that meeting.
* Please note that GaVS teachers cannot make accommodations without a copy of the plan on file.
* A copy of the plan must be submitted EACH semester.
Where Can I Go To Find answers to other questions?
Click here to use the GAVS Helpdesk/Knowledgebase!
2. Look within the news announcements (in the Course) or other communication from me.
3. Familiarize yourself with the Student Handbook: Click here to access the Summer 2016 Student Handbook.
4. Feel free to contact me directly via phone or email.
A Few More Things...
How Mrs. Gardner Grades Discussions
* ALL submitted documents should have an MLA header (Name, Instructor, Course, Date)
* All work quoted, paraphrased, or summarized from other sources should use an in-text citation.
* A sample first page of an MLA style paper/assignment can be seen below.
MLA Tutorial Website: http://mlahelp.weebly.com/
Parents & Students,
Here are some examples:
Create an Email Signature
Keep my phone number & email address in a place that is easy to reach. If you have a special circumstance, please let me know. Here are some situations that might merit an immediate contact:
* Medical situation (hospitalization, extreme sickness, injury): Contact me BEFORE a due date if you have been too sick to complete work. Please note that a note from the doctor may be required to authorize any extensions for sickness.
* Technology emergency: Please notify me BEFORE a due date if you experience a technology issue. If you lose power, get kicked out of a test, have a computer crash, or other extreme situation, please let me know immediately. We understand that these things happen, but also expect students to have a back-up plan for technology issues. Plan to use a computer at school, the library, a friend or family member's computer, etc.
* General Assignment/Course Questions: These are best answered by email, but feel free to call me as well.
IF YOU ARE SICK... LOOK HERE
Please do not hesitate to contact me. I aim to help you reach your goals for success in this class, and we can't do that without communicating. I enjoy answering your questions!
I am available weekdays 10am-8pm EST. Email and phone calls are answered within 24 hours on school days. If you call, please be sure to leave a message.