Electrons in Atoms
pg 6 Shawnte' Dillard
2. The number of electrons
3.Write the configuration
N- The main energy level (The max energy level is 2n)
L- The orbital shape/ sublevel
M- Orientation (X,Y,Z)
S- Spin (Clockwise/ Counterclockwise spin of electrons)
Orbitals are numbers 1-4 Sub levels are letters s,p,d, and f
- Orbitals are filled in order from the lowest to highest energy.
- Full orbitals are high in energy
- Half filled have lower energy
Hund's "School bus" rule states the electrons will fill every orbital before they pair up.
- Find the number of electrons/ make an electron configuration
- Place your first sub level under a line or inside a square or circle.
- Count the number of electrons in each sub level
*You must begin with your clockwise arrow and fill all the sub levels before moving onto the counterclockwise arrows.