Grade 11 Chemistry
Welcome to a new semester!
Introduction to Chemistry
Welcome to the start of a new semester! My name is Mrs. Dyke and I want to welcome you to Grade 11 Chemistry. This class builds on grade 9 and 10 Science and is intended to prepare students for future university study.
As an educator I believe that it is important to empower all of our students with the skills, knowledge and character necessary to succeed in the goals they have set for themselves. I am focused on strengthening our community with individuals who have character and are focused and dedicated to succeed in whatever life brings them.
This course is challenging! It requires an ability to solve mathematical problems, and often deals with abstract concepts. The keys to success in this course can be summarized as follows:
· Positive attitude and constructive participation in class
· Regular attendance and catching up on missed work
· Organization: use a planner to keep track of assignments and tests
· Independent study (REVIEW), practice, practice, practice!
· Attend Extra help sessions at lunch
This course enables the students to deepen their understanding of chemistry through the study of:
- the properties of chemical bonds;
- chemical reactions and quantitative relationships in those reactions;
- solutions and solubility;
- and atmospheric chemistry and the behaviour of gases.
Students will further develop their analytical skills and investigate the qualitative and quantitative properties of matter, as well as the impact of some chemical reactions on society and the environment.
Remind is a simple way for you to stay informed and up-to-date with what's happening in your class. By joining my class on remind you are choosing to receive class messages via push notifications or email. (Your number or email will not be shared with me or anyone else in this class)
Click on the following link to open a pdf with instructions: