O'Maley Family Focus
Updates from Principal Lynne Beattie - May 3, 2020
LINK HERE AFTER 4:00 P.M. SUNDAY to find out what's happening in each of your classes next week.
Welcome to May!
As our time out of the building has passed, we have made a lot of changes, and we continue to reflect and take action to make remote learning a successful experience for the O'Maley community.
To that end, Assistant Principals Jeff Destino and Dennis Hurley and I have put together a very short survey for students and parents/guardians as a check-in on remote learning. Please take the time to respond through the link below, and encourage your students to do so as well. The survey link for students will also be emailed to them directly. The information you provide will help us continue to make improvements in our program and in the ways we support you.
Last weekend, the Massachusetts Department of Education sent out prerequisite standards for content in ELA, Math, Science and Social Studies for each grade level as well as an update to guidelines for remote learning. O'Maley staff has already begun to review this information and incorporate It into their approaches to communication, connection and lesson planning.
Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have questions or need support.
All My Best,
Principal Lynne Beattie
Tips for Students: Time Management and Organization During Remote Learning
Below are just a few tips for organizing yourself and your day...I have had to use some of them myself!
- Set alarms or reminders on your phone so you don't miss a class. Thirty minute blocks are short, and if you get very involved in the work you are doing, it can be easy to miss the end of one class and beginning of another when there isn't anyone around you getting up to walk to another room. When there's an online video chat scheduled, or you have questions for the next teacher, reminders or alarms can keep you on track.
- Use the Weekly Overview to set yourself up for success. Reviewing your classes on Sunday night or early Monday morning can get your mind organized and help you plan out the week. Take a look at assignments and think about how much time you might need.
- Keep a checklist using Google Keep. When a class is over, you may still have work to complete. Use Google Keep to set yourself up for success with a checklist.
Thank you Teachers & Nurses!
Helpful Tech Tips for Students
- Use the Chrome web browser so that you have access to necessary extensions and apps.
- Not sure how to link to Google Meets for your Class? See Ms. Crosby's video how-to.
- Too many emails? Create labels in GMail to keep them organized. Link to Ms. Pinta's Video and Skills Sheet on how to create labels in your GMail inbox.
- OR, if the email overload is from Google Classroom you can turn off those notifications. Just be sure to check Classroom daily for information and assignments. See Ms. Hand's video to learn how to turn off email notifications for Classroom.
- Use Google Keep to organize yourself. See Ms. Beattie's video above.
Virtual O'Maley Academy
We have officially launched our virtual after school program!
Here is how it will work: No sign-up needed! Students access the enrichment activities through a Google Classroom page, and complete enrichment at their leisure. The goal is to stay connected and engaged with our community and have fun! As we move through the spring we will hold some Zoom or Google Hangouts video sessions, but they are not required.
Students who would like to participate in a Virtual Spring Session should can join the Classroom using the class code below. There will be 3 different virtual options, they can choose one or more to participate in!
Option 1- O'Maley Academy Virtual Drama Club
What to expect: Activities involving acting skills, dancing, and singing. ALL are welcome!
Class Code: xqt3kfl
Teacher: Ms. Lauren Horne
Option 2- O'Maley Academy Virtual Capture, Compose, Create
What to Expect: Activities that involve writing, expressing yourself using creative and visual arts, creativity is welcome!
Class Code: l5hhfq2
Teacher: Ms. Theresa Dannaher
Option 3 - O'Maley Academy Virtual Sports and Recreation
What to Expect: Activities to get you up and moving! Students with all levels of sports experience are welcome!
Class Code: z5xkqnk
Teacher: Ms. Hannah Dupre
Feel free to reach out to Allison Alves at email@example.com with questions.
Meal Pick-Up Locations
Locations and Times:
The Heights/Pond View.Meals can be picked up at from the bus parked in the lower loop from 2:00 - 2:20.
- Beeman and Veterans' Elementary Schools - Drive-up Grab & Go will be available from 2:30 pm – 4:00 pm.
- Veterans' Way – Meal drop-off will be from 2:30 pm - 3:00 pm
- Willowood Gardens – Meal drop-off will be from 3:15 pm to 3:45 pm.
Link to access all of our links and detailed information about the remote learning program at O'Maley in one place.
Join the Student and Staff Compilation - School Closure 2020!
The Student and Staff Compilation is a collection of creative contributions, a sharing of what we are all doing while we are out of school and an opportunity to connect. If you want to add your own slide, create a Google Slide in your school account, and email it to Ms. Beattie.
Please reach out to O'Maley counselors or use the information included here if you need family support.