Mayor Andy Betterton
February 24, 2022
Florence Welcomes Eight New Florence Fire and Rescue Recruits!
Picture includes: Training Chief: Jarrod L. Wallace
FD Recruits: Jeremy Bevis, Chandler Cole, Joshua Collier, James Ezekiel, Chris Hallmark, Jonathan Hill, Bradley Mifflin, Max Tsilis
The University of North Alabama: Weekend of Women
The Weekend of Women will feature key signature events, including:
- Light the Fountain, set for Thursday, March 10 at 6:30 at Harrison Plaza. Ande Jones, UNA graduate and former UNA volleyball, tennis, and softball coach, will pull the switch to light the fountain. The rain date for this event is March 15.
- UNA graduate and singer/songwriter Rachel Wammack in concert, with special guests, Friday, March 11, at 7 p.m. at Norton Auditorium. Tickets for the show can be found here.
- School of the Arts Showcase from 5:30-7 p.m. at UNA on Sixth in downtown Tuscumbia. Tickets for the showcase can be purchased here.
Chick-fil-A Florence Race Scheduled for Saturday, April 2, 2022.
The Chick-fil-A Florence Race will take place on Saturday, April 2, 2022.
Chick-fil-A will host a 10K, 5K and 1 Mile Fun Run. This race is part of the Chick-fil-A North Alabama Race Series, where we join 4 other Chick-fil-A franchises from Athens, Madison and Huntsville, AL in raising money for various charities. This year, 100% of the proceeds from our race in Florence will be donated to Shoals Scholar Dollars.
Mayor Betterton Presents Proclamation Highlighting the Work of the Alabama Parent Advisory Council and Kayla Etie
Mayor Betterton presented a proclamation to Alabama Parent Advisory Council and Kayla Etie of Congressional District 4.The Alabama Parent Advisory Council (PAC) advises the Alabama Department of Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention about funding community-based programs that help support and strengthen families.
The PAC assists in:
- Fostering parent leadership development
- Advocating on behalf of parents and other caregivers to promote improvements in prevention programming
- Modeling the value of partnerships between parents and staff
UNA Light the Fountain Set for March 10
Light the Fountain, the annual tradition at the University of North Alabama, has been set for Thursday, March 10, with a rain date of March 15. The ceremony is set to begin at 7 p.m. at the heart of UNA’s campus, Harrison Fountain and Plaza, with the lighting to take place at 7:30 p.m.
SAVE THE DATE: UNA HOMECOMING
Saturday, September 24, 2022
2022 VIRTUAL ARBOR DAY CEREMONY
Commemorative Fund Donations were made in memory of
Bobby Wiginton from the Keith Wiginton family
John Thomas Archer from Sheila A Archer
Kenny Neese from Shirley Neese
The 2022 Arbor Day tree will be planted on the Walnut Street or Wood Avenue. To make a donation to the commemorative tree fund or to purchase a Memorial Grove paver contact Preston Hillis at email@example.com or Keven Jangaard at firstname.lastname@example.org or click the link below.
Buff City Soap to Open in April!
Get ready Florence; your new favorite soap & skincare store is coming to town! Buff City Soap is opening a local Soap Makery this April at 396 Cox Creek Parkway next to Target. Follow along to learn all about our plant-based products! Check out future offerings at buffcitysoap.com
Kith Kitchens Ribbon Cutting
A Grand Opening and Shoals Chamber Ribbon Cutting was held Wednesday at the new Kith Kitchens plant in Florence-Lauderdale Industrial Park. City leaders attended the event and thanked Kith Kitchens officials for their investment in our city. They currently have 93 employees and plan to expand to 130.
HOLLYWOOD IN FLORENCE
The inimitable Gladys (“Glad”) Shepard, who chaired the Department of Theatre for so many years at what is now the University of North Alabama, decided in the early 1970’s that it would be a grand learning experience for her students if she could arrange each summer to bring a Hollywood celebrity to the campus so her students could perform on stage along with a seasoned screen and stage actor. So, she set about to make it happen. From one summer to the next, she worked tirelessly to make the (sometimes, very complex) arrangements through Hollywood agents to secure an actor or actress; to take care of the myriad details regarding travel, local hotels and meals for the actor/actress; to negotiate the choice of the play to be staged, etc. Somehow, she was able to work her magic! The first actor to arrive that initial summer was Van Johnson, followed in subsequent summers by such professionals as Gale Storm, Mercedes McCambridge, Lyle Talbot, Peggy Cass and Sal Mineo, to name a few. The University – both staff and students – welcomed these celebrities, as did citizens in the community. It proved to be exactly the experience that Glad Shepard had hoped it would be for her fortunate theatre students. And the citizens of Florence responded by filling Norton Auditorium for the high-quality performances that they had come to expect from the Theatre Department at the University.
--Billy Warren, City Historian
City of Florence Boards & Commissions
There are many boards and committees that help to operate the functions of the City of Florence. Each board is comprised of members of City Administration and members of the local business community.
City of Florence Boards & Commissions
A little motivation...
“It takes courage to step beyond what is
comfortable, predictable & known.”
Courage to Change
How to Submit Your Event, News, or Announcement:
- Public and community events or announcements can be submitted by attaching an email, Word document, PDF, or JPG file suitable for viewing on the web. Include graphics in JPG or PNG if possible.
- Along with your information, include your name, phone number, event name, location, date and time, and a brief description.
- IMPORTANT: Please submit your information no later than Tuesday of each week (preferably sooner). Submissions after the deadline will be added to the next week's publication. The newsletter is posted on Thursday afternoon.
- Send your information to email@example.com or call Rachel Koonce with questions at 256-760-6494.